Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

14th Steet Changes Feedback/Suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
snlfam View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snlfam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 14th Steet Changes Feedback/Suggestions
    Posted: 11 Jan 2011 at 3:07pm
After speaking with the DDOT representatives who have been assigned this slugging project, they informed me that there is a statute(?) in DC that states that during rush hours, drivers on primary commuting routes (ex. 14th street) are not allowed to impede traffic (ex. stopping to pick up passengers).

I inquired about the details on this statute (exemptions for buses, taxis, etc.), but they were unclear with the details. Does anyone know which law/statute/ordinance they are reffering to?
fed up View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 1:19pm
I just saw the proposed changes and I think that a number of these changes will make the system worse than it already is, specifically moving 14th & Independence to 13th & C. This stop is at least a five minute walk from the closest Omniride bus stop so an either/or approach would not work for this stop. Not only that, it is not in a very driver convenient area. There are many times when C Street (which is only two blocks long) is backed up and it can take anywhere from 5 - 10 minutes just to get through the light. Not a good suggested change in my opinion.
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 10:28am
DDOT Announces Delay in 14th Street Changes - As of January 5th, per a DDOT communication, the planned DDOT location changes in the District (14th Street) will be postponed until further notice. It is anticipated that changes will take place by Spring. Any changes will be publicized by DDOT. More information will be provided as it become available.
laurenmb View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laurenmb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 10:12am
I have to say, quite frankly I am sick of PRTC rolling over and DDOT pushing us around. I think the move to 15th street sucks. Anytime there is ANYTHING at the White House we are all screwed.

Outside of DDOT claiming that the traffic is the reason for the move, does anyone know of any other "problems" that may have generated the interest in shuffling us around? I would be interested in having PRTC conduct a report after the buses move to 15th to asses the impact and go the the city/our Reps to intervene.
Salty View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 11:39am
Where do I pick slugs up today? On New York or on 13th?
snlfam View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snlfam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 4:58pm
quote:
Originally posted by luv2slugg

quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Please provide feedback and/or suggestions on the changes to the 14th and NY slug line being moved to 15th and NY street.

Drivers have mentioned that it's difficult to get to the new location especially with H St. being one-way in the opposite direction, leaving them to weave their way around I and 16th Sts. Many now just continue on 14th to the Commerce Building. I have walked to Commerce -- the rides are plentiful!

ForeverrSlugggerr

The rides have been plentiful... but where are the riders? Slim pick'ns these days.
luv2slugg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luv2slugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 1:21pm
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Please provide feedback and/or suggestions on the changes to the 14th and NY slug line being moved to 15th and NY street.

Drivers have mentioned that it's difficult to get to the new location especially with H St. being one-way in the opposite direction, leaving them to weave their way around I and 16th Sts. Many now just continue on 14th to the Commerce Building. I have walked to Commerce -- the rides are plentiful!

ForeverrSlugggerr
Elizabeth View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elizabeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 2:08pm
Yesterday I went to the 15th Street location to pick riders up at about 4:45pm. I usually go to Horner Road but no one was in that line so I moved down to the Hechinger line - only one person in line. I put my hazards on to wait for another rider. Maybe one minute later a police car is behind me flashing his lights telling me to move. I thought that one reason behind moving the 14th Street line to 15th Street was so that the cars could wait for riders. I had to do the big circle back around 14th, Vermont, H and back to 15th Street. By the time I arrived back to where the lines form, three cars were waiting for riders - no riders for any location. What gives? Can we wait for riders and where are all the riders these days?
keelhauld View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keelhauld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 10:36am
The following was just sent out by PRTC. Ineresting with regard to the whole 14th and NY slug lines change.

**** Please FORWARD responses to OMNI@OMNIRIDE.COM. DO NOT “reply” to this e-mail address; it is used only by our automated alert systems and is not monitored for responses. **** ==================================================================================================================================================================================

As of mid-January all PM OmniRide buses that serve the State Department will be re-routed away from 14th Street, where extreme traffic congestion makes adherence to our published schedules unreliable. Starting in mid-January, afternoon and evening buses instead will be routed along 15th Street. Schedule brochures will NOT be reprinted at this time; however, the affected schedules and maps at PRTCtransit.org will be revised.

These PM routes are affected:

Dale City – Washington OmniRide (Dale City OmniRide trips that currently start at 14th and New York will instead start at H and Madison)
Lake Ridge – Washington OmniRide
Manassas OmniRide (including the AM reverse trips)
Route 1 OmniRide

Two PM bus stops will no longer be served:

14th and New York
14th and F

Alternate PM bus stops are:

Commerce Department
A new bus stop that will be added at 15th and New York.

Something new for passengers on Dale City – Washington and Lake Ridge – Washington buses:

During PM peak service hours (approximately 4 p.m. – 6 p.m.) buses on these two routes will run every 10 minutes, and on Modified Holidays the peak service will run every 20 minutes. Because the buses will have frequent headways, they will NOT be obligated to wait at the timepoint at the Commerce Department bus stop. Online schedules will be revised to reflect this change and it will be reflected in the Spring 2011 printed schedules.

Although it may take a little while to get used to these changes, PRTC is sure that they will benefit our passengers in the long run. Avoiding the intersection of 14th and H will greatly improve our service reliability, allowing everyone to get home a little more quickly and with less stress!

pwc94 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwc94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 12:18pm
Forgive me if this was mentioned and I missed it, but if I understand this right, the bus stops are not moving? If that's the case, the only one benefitting from these moves is PRTC. Many people take whatever comes first, and often can't afford to wait and take a chance on getting a ride. So more people will be riding the bus, many of which are already overcrowded.

DDOT needs to investigate the buses before messing with the slug system. Since so many of them lately are sitting, for whatever reason, for more than 5 minutes (at least they do at 14th & D) after picking up riders, waiting 20 seconds for a car to load up and pull off isn't going to disrupt their schedule, so there's absolutely no need for them to be stopping in the middle lane or pulling half into the curb lane and blocking both lanes.

On top of that, the no parking zone during rush hour apparently only applies to cars, because trucks are always sitting in the curb lane across from the Reagan Building, and the police don't do anything about them. Cars that stop for half a minute is a huge issue, but large trucks parked for an hour or more...no big deal.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic