Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

14th Steet Changes Feedback/Suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 5:28pm
The planter boxes along 15th have a low iron fence around them. They are just high enough that a car door can swing into it.
VAFLYERS View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VAFLYERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 11:57am
This move is a disaster!!!! DDOT can't improve anything, the line should have stayed where it was and they should not have tried to fix what wasn't broke, but if the line had to be moved a better choice would have either been on New York Ave. right around the corner from where it was or at the corner of 15th and Penn next to Treasury, then you wouldn't have people making U-turns on 15th st to go south (like they were yesterday). DDOT and the SAM people could direct drivers where to go for riders.

If DDOT are serious about moving all the slug lines from 14th ST then maybe PRTC should also consider adjusting the bus route to use 15th ST.
popsx2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popsx2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 4:51pm
What is the consensus so far about the move to 15th Street between H and NY Ave? Is that still the meeting point or has this already been deemed a failure?
Woodbridge55 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woodbridge55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 6:46pm
This is not working. The first day they stood there and told the cars to keep moving or they would ticket them. Not really Slug friendly. Drivers say they are thinking about going to pick up down 14th St. due to the hassle driving down I to Vermont and back on H. May DDOT should relook at this location. If the U.S.Postal driver on break and people using AT&T did not part on 14th street the back up would not be as bad. I never see a DC police officer moving those vehicles along.

RJ
keelhauld View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keelhauld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 10:23pm
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Please provide feedback and/or suggestions on the changes to the 14th and NY slug line being moved to 15th and NY street.

I said this before and I never saw a reply so I'll put it out again, instead of moving over to 15th what about taking the slug line around the corner off of 14th and on to New York? That gets the standing cars off of 14th (DDOT happy) it keeps the same route and approach for the drivers, at least until the turn onto H, so they don't have to take the scenic tour of DC (drivers happy) and it keeps the slug line close to the bus (slugs happy)! There is even a pickup/drop off/parking lane on New York and if the District is really serious about “helping” then they might actually consider an afternoon parking restriction in this area to facilitate ridesharing.
The cynical side of me says D.C. is not really serious about helping, however, my more reasonable side says that they did meet with us before they moved the lines and maybe they would be willing to listen to the suggestion. Any takers?
NO44 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NO44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 8:19am

Then go down to 15th since you cannot make a left onto 14th? Im for it, 15th is much faster!

quote:
Originally posted by keelhauld

quote:

Please provide feedback and/or suggestions on the changes to the 14th and NY slug line being moved to 15th and NY street.

I said this before and I never saw a reply so I'll put it out again, instead of moving over to 15th what about taking the slug line around the corner off of 14th and on to New York? That gets the standing cars off of 14th (DDOT happy) it keeps the same route and approach for the drivers, at least until the turn onto H, so they don't have to take the scenic tour of DC (drivers happy) and it keeps the slug line close to the bus (slugs happy)! There is even a pickup/drop off/parking lane on New York and if the District is really serious about “helping” then they might actually consider and afternoon parking restriction in this area to facilitate ridesharing.
The cynical side of me says D.C. is not really serious about helping, however, my more reasonable side says that they did meet with us before they moved the lines and maybe they would be willing to listen to the suggestion. Any takers?

Nic
loreelei View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loreelei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 10:28am
Is there any reason why we can just move back to 14th Street? As of today there is even less space for us to stand on 15th because of the bike racks. What is the issue with this city and us sluggers?
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 10:32am
Comments CC'd to me:

I appreciate the chance to comment on the move. Please note my
observations, and I would appreciate it if this was put on the slug web
site.

-- The 14th Street lines worked. They were convenient and efficient, so
don't mess with it. I understand the move occurred to help move traffic on
an emergency evacuation route. Then why not leave things the way they were,
but have the option of enforcing a no-slug policy only when there is an
emergency situation. Why ruin it all the time for a potentially rare
occurrence?

-- Cars stopping for 5 seconds to pick up slugs are not the problem.
Busses, taxis, and tourists cause more disruption. Also, cars in the
intersections causing gridlock are a bigger problem.

-- The 15th Street location makes no sense for several reasons. The fact
that it is a one-way street (northbound) north of H Street makes it very
inconvenient for drivers heading southbound on 14th Street to pick up riders
there. Also, 15th Street is 2 lanes and 14th is 3 lanes, so it will be more
of a bottleneck. The new location also does not provide an overhang for
slugs to escape bad weather.

-- I have heard of people waiting a very long time for rides on 15th street
that never came.

-- Why not make a slug pick up point on 14th and I near the Metro stop?
Turn the corner into a transportation hub. Then if rides don't come the
slug can take Metro.

-- Why not have more slug lines on 14th Street from Thomas Circle to
Independence to spread it out?

-- Please let us know ASAP when this experiment fails so we can go back to
14th and H.
sallie.worth View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sallie.worth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 10:34am
quote:
Originally posted by keelhauld

THIS MAKES SENSE TO ME! HOPE YOU SHARED THIS WITH eulois.cleckley@dc.gov HE WANTS TO HEAR FROM EVERYONE ON THIS!

I said this before and I never saw a reply so I'll put it out again, instead of moving over to 15th what about taking the slug line around the corner off of 14th and on to New York? That gets the standing cars off of 14th (DDOT happy) it keeps the same route and approach for the drivers, at least until the turn onto H, so they don't have to take the scenic tour of DC (drivers happy) and it keeps the slug line close to the bus (slugs happy)! There is even a pickup/drop off/parking lane on New York and if the District is really serious about “helping” then they might actually consider an afternoon parking restriction in this area to facilitate ridesharing.

sallie.worth View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sallie.worth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 10:36am
quote:
Originally posted by Woodbridge55

This is not working.

PLEASE CONTACT eulois.cleckley@dc.gov HE WANTS TO HEAR FROM US...DRIVERS AND SLUGGERS

RJ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic