Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

14th Steet Changes Feedback/Suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 10:08pm
Any consideration to make the pickup on New York between 13th and 14th just passed H Street. There is a church there and lots of homeless are already in their park, why not some slugs on the street. Plus NY Ave traffic is very scarce?

hello
Woodbridge55 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woodbridge55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 8:00pm
NY between 13 & 14 won't work that great as you can not turn left on to 14th st. Best would be between 14 & 15th if that has to be a choice. However, talking with some drivers they will still continue to pick up farther down 14th st. Getting a ride is getting very harder and fewer cars are showing up.

You are right about the bus problem. The PRTC drivers can not wait for 45 sec for someone to get in the car and move on. They have to cut of the car off and leave the rear end of the bus out in the middle lane. DDOT never addressed that issue. Additionally the cars parking to go into AT&T or the mail truck that parks there. They just blame it on "the slugs."

I will be taking time off from work tomorrow to be at the meeting!
Woodbridge55 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woodbridge55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 3:58pm
Interesting meeting today, at least DDOT listened. A move onto New York Ave between 14th & 15th would work if they move the Commerce Bldg lines around the corner onto Penn near the White House visitor center. This will allow the PRTC buses to travel down 15th Street with two pick up points. One at 15th and NY and the other on Penn near the White House Center. Then they could get back onto 14th Street and continue down to the last stop on 14th. This would mean that the other DaleCity/Lake Ridge bus riders and sluggers on 14th St. would have to go to one of the two new locations. This would also cause slug drivers to pick up at the two locations off 14th St and still allow the vehicles to get back onto 14th St. This would prevent slug drivers and D and L PRTC busses from stopping on 14th St. DDOT would have to post the pick up points for busses and slug use from 3 - 6:30 PM. The NX-1 and NX-2 could use the same route too.
keelhauld View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keelhauld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 8:33pm
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

This is your chance to meet with DDOT officials and provide input!!

I'm a slacker and was not able to make the meeting today. Very interested in the results however.....[8]
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 5:35am
Outcome of DDOT Meeting with Slugs - Slugs were well represented yesterday at the DDOT meeting yesterday with approximately 30-40 in attendance. From where I sat in the room, this was a great example of DDOT, VDOT, PRTC and Slugs working together to find a common solution.

The meeting itself started out with a lot of emotion from Slugs seeking answers to why the slug line was moved in the first place. Eulois, the DDOT official in charge of relocating the slug line, took everybody's input (as best he could) and explained the reasons behind the move. Admin note - I will try to scan the briefing slides and post them to the website as soon as possible.

The good news is that DDOT has taken the feedback from slugs and is planning to relocate the 15th and H St (old 14th and New York) to the area on New York Ave, between 14th and 15th. This change should make a huge difference and accommodate the needs of both slugs and drivers.

What is interesting is that DDOT is planning to change the parking meters along the area where slugging will occur to make it easier for slugs and drivers. In other words, they are willing to lose some revenue from the meters to help slugging. In addition, they are going to put up signage to clear designate the area (similiar to how the Pentagon has done it).

Although DDOT has agreed to relocate the line, they did not give an exact date. More to follow....
rpoirier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpoirier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 7:57am
Next week I'll need to start picking up slugs along 14th st. Where are they currently standing in the interim until DC figures this out? I usually pick up on 19th in the afternoon and have only used the 14th street once or twice a long time ago. Please direct me to the right location :)
tashaj View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tashaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 10:12am
I am going back to 14th street. Very few cars are picking up on 15th street and I've heard that people have started to go back to 14th and are being picked up. 15th street DOES NOT WORK.
joelrutstein View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joelrutstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 1:52pm
I hope those briefing slides are posted soon. From nbcwashington's video report of the meeting - http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local-beat/Upset_Sluggers_Not_Ready_to_Move_Washington_DC-105820578.html -
it looks like all the lines on 14th Street will be moved in the next couple of months.

It was nice of DC I suppose to hold one meeting to discuss the problems with the one move and agree to a possible fix, but I'm sure all the other moves will also prove problematic.

The person interviewed presumably from DC who spoke of backups causing police to issue tickets I don't think is telling the truth. I know one driver who was ticketed where I wait at 14th and Constitution when there was no backup. I think this is a case where DC decided to act first, and now they're reluctant to just forget about the whole thing.

I've been slugging home from the same location at about the same time (4:15) for 20 years. Maybe there are backups later in the evening, but there aren't when I'm there. To the extent there are any additional delays lately, it's because they started allowing cars to park on 14th street until 4pm.

From the snippet of the video linked above it looks like I'll have to line up at 15th and Madison. I hope this works, but I have doubts it will.

The right solution would be for DC to forget they ever started this.
keelhauld View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keelhauld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 4:23pm
quote:

Outcome of DDOT Meeting with Slugs - Slugs were well represented

I take back all the bad things I said about DDOT....provided they follow through.[8D]
NO44 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NO44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 4:27pm
that's a BIG if

quote:
Originally posted by keelhauld

quote:

Outcome of DDOT Meeting with Slugs - Slugs were well represented

I take back all the bad things I said about DDOT....provided they follow through.[8D]

Nic
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic