Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

14th Steet Changes Feedback/Suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 5:03pm
How bad is the sun going to beat down on us at this location? Think about the summer months when it is 95 degrees outside.
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 10:24am
I attended the meeting at the Reeves Center and specifically spoke about the Bob's/RV line that meets on 14th & Constitution. I stated to the DCDOT rep that line does not cause traffic to back up on 14th St. The other riders and drivers agreed with me.

DCDOT is working with the Parks Authority to create a cut out curb lane for drivers to pull over. The only way this will work for drivers is if they take 15th, cross over Constitution and our line will be on the right. Drivers can then access 14th St from either Jefferson or Independence Ave. But for drivers who come via 14th St and turn right on Madison, the line will be on the opposite side of the street and they will have to hang a U turn to access it.

Riders & drivers for the Bob's/RV line on 14th & Constitution need to contact their congressional representatives now to lobby the District not to move the line from its current location. They also need to ask their congressional reps to work with the National Park Service to create a curbside cut out ramp at 14th & Constitution. There is enough land to put it there.

rpoirier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpoirier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 10:47am
Just got finished reading the meeting notes from the forum with DDOT. Was MPD even there? They are the one's that need to be educated.
jayrt234 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayrt234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 1:12pm
If it is so important to move the 14th street slug lines, has anyone thought about moving it to G St. between 13th and 14th street. This would allow for the drivers to jump onto 14th street heading South after picking up slugs. Of course, DDOT would have to allow for Left hand turns onto 14th street from this spot.

If that will not work, try New York Ave, between 13th and 14th Street.

The 15th Street stops does not work for anyone. It adds more time for the drivers, who find it difficult to maneuver around the block from 14th to 15th Street.

Good Luck,
c_quintarelli View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c_quintarelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 9:41am
It's important to try to force VA government to get involved on our behalf.

Go to http://www.contactingthecongress.org to find out who your senators and representatives are. From there email links are provided making it very easy to write a letter requesting their help. If you don't want to craft your own letter just lift some comments from this topic. I have written my rep and both senators but one or two letters are not enough to create a buzz.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 10:00am
I was told via email from Mr. Cleckly yesterday around 2 PM the slug line was not and has not been moved from 14th street.

??????
snlfam View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snlfam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 3:16pm
quote:
Originally posted by getmehome pweeze

I was told via email from Mr. Cleckly yesterday around 2 PM the slug line was not and has not been moved from 14th street.

??????

Which 14th street location are you referring to? As of yesterday, the 14th and NY location is still not there (I haven't checked to see if the 15th and NY moved location is working at all).

Does anyone know what is happening at DC dept. of Transportation right now? Their last meeting materials stated that the date for "finalizing locations" is "Early-mid November". Maybe we should encourage them to hold off until after the new year to avoid the holiday vacationers.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 1:59pm
Ok, now I am totally confused. I was told word-of-mouth the evening 14TH and NY slug line to 610's was supposed to move to 15th street, this was last Thursday.

I sent an email to this Mr. Cleckly on Monday afternoon, he told me the slug was has not and was not moving.

So, whats the deal?
snlfam View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snlfam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 2:09pm
I received in an email fro DDOT on Saturday with a PDF attached entitled "District Slugging Plan: An Analysis of Slugging Activity for Recommending Curbside Locations in Washington, D.C.". This 12 page report summarized much of what they discussed at the last meeting and laid out the proposed new pick-up locations. The bottom line (as I read it) was ALL 14th ST PICK-UP LOCATIONS ARE BEING MOVED. The report sets the date for relocation of lines as "January 2011" but they do not give a specific date.

My first response was a mix of anger, frustration, and rebellion. However, after reading the entire report, I feel DDOT has at least made an effort of coming up with a plausible solution. What I don't know is how it would work in practice. My personal biggest concern is that the new 15th and New York location will have a lot more riders than drivers and the next location for pick-up is not until the Mall.

(Admin: Are you able to post the report on the web site so everyone can read it?)

It appears that we as a community of sluggers now need to decide whether to accept the changes as proposed, or to come up with an alternative solution. At this point I am willing to swallow my pride if that is what the rest us decide will work.

Is anyone good friends with the new mayor of DC?[:D]
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2010 at 5:03am
Here is the message sent from DDOT:

All-

As promised, the final slugging report is attached. I would like to thank everyone for their input in determining how the District addresses slugging. The many comments helped identify a comprehensive system and the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) is committed to supporting slugging. The following adjustments were made:

· The total number of curbside pickup locations were reduced from 9 to 8.

· There will be more stops on 15th street instead of 14th street, but continuity with the slug line destinations will remain intact

· There was concern pertaining to the relocation of the 14th street and Constitution Avenue location to 15th and Madison. Since a network approach was taken to address the location changes, the current 14th/Constitution location could not be preserved. 15th street is the main slugging corridor, therefore, maintaining connectivity with other slug line destinations along the corridor is the main reason for the change.

· The District will work together to communicate the changes well in advance. The anticipated implementation date will be sometime in Mid-January (see page last page of document). DDOT will communicate the changes through multiple sources to ensure that all users are aware of the pending changes.

Read DDOT Final Report: http://www.slug-lines.com/downloads/DDOT_Report.pdf
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic