Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Worst slug story in history

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 8:26am
quote:
Originally posted by slug123456789

quote:
Originally posted by mycroftt

quote:

If driver discharged slug on side of vehicle, what fool would step out in FRONT of vehicle to take picture?

While the driver is responsible for his actions, it must be recognized that the so-called victim brought his problems on himself. What manner of arrogance led him to attempt to detain the driver by placing himself in front of a running automobile? Who the heck did he think he was and what made him think he had the right to detain anyone?

Hey, wait a minute here! I have not heard or read that the slug was attempting to detain the driver. Yes, according to the original post he left the passenger door open so the driver could not move while he took the picture, but from everything I had read all he wanted to do was get a picture of the car/license plate and do something with that pic - whatever that plan was. Although I can't say getting in front of the car was a good idea but I think the slug was trying to make a point to the driver that what he - the driver - had done was wrong and the slug was going to do somthing about it by taking a picture. Regardless, I feel very sorry for the slug who got hit and anyone here bashing him should be ashamed! The driver of the car obviously has problems and should not be allowed to drive for a very long time; the slug now knows next time to not be in front of a car when taking a picture and the other passenger who was involved probably wishes to have stayed home that day!

He left the door open and stepped in front of the vehicle - two deliberate actions designed to prevent the driver from moving his vehicle until the slug released him to go. Some people don't take too kindly to being detained in this manner. The driver clearly had a volatile personality as evidenced by his earlier behavior, barking at the passengers and driving erratically. It was arrogant and foolhardy for the slug to think that he could get away with physically preventing the lunatic from roaring off. What the heck did he think the driver was going to do? I would have expected some kind of physical response. The slug's problem is that he left his Superman outfit home that day - or he should have at least stayed on the curb while he snapped his picture and maybe flipped the driver off as he pulled away.
milspouse View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milspouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 9:06am
It takes a lot of courage to stand up for the guy who deliberately drove his car into someone, and to criticize the person who was injured. I'm sure your friends appreciate knowing you're willing to kick people when they're down.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by slug123456789

If driver discharged slug on side of vehicle, what fool would step out in FRONT of vehicle to take picture?

While the driver is responsible for his actions, it must be recognized that the so-called victim brought his problems on himself. What manner of arrogance led him to attempt to detain the driver by placing himself in front of a running automobile? Who the heck did he think he was and what made him think he had the right to detain anyone?
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 9:23am
quote:
Originally posted by milspouse

It takes a lot of courage to stand up for the guy who deliberately drove his car into someone, and to criticize the person who was injured. I'm sure your friends appreciate knowing you're willing to kick people when they're down.

Learn how to read, you imbecile. I did not stick up for McKinney - I said he should be held responsible for his misdeeds. I did not criticize the person who was injured either - I criticized his lack of judgement in jumping in front of a vehicle manned by an individual he already knew to be volatile and erratic. It was a stupid thing to do and he paid the price for his reckless act. You know nothing about me or my friends and your claim that I kick people when they are down is untrue, unfounded, uncalled for, and just plain childish. What rock did you crawl out from under?
AngloAustrian View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngloAustrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 9:25am
1. The story was in the Washington Post yesterday.
2. The lesson is... get out of the car and get away as fast as possible when you are with someone who is driving or behaving erratically and then post a blog to warn others. I can't believe the slug who got hit thought it was sensible to stand IN FRONT of the car and upset an angry driver even more. You can quite easily take a picture of a car from the sidewalk if you think it necessary. Tempers were heated and the end result of two erractic tempers is what happened - sheer stupidity and I am sure both regret it now. We sluggers (ones who are at the mercy of the driver if the driver is behaving like a loon) have to take the high road here. If you cannot do that, then don't slug. The aim is to stay alive (and get to work!), and antagonizing each other even more doesn't achieve those goals. Even when I am in a car where the driver is going too fast, or texting (thank God, doesn't happen too often - my biggest gripe is tailgating), I still have to think that they drove this way yesterday and still made it in one piece. I have to think my chances of getting to work in one piece today are pretty good, and I just won't ride with that person again. So far, it's worked fine.
mdog View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 9:42am
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by milspouse

Learn how to read, you imbecile. I did not stick up for McKinney - I said he should be held responsible for his misdeeds. I did not criticize the person who was injured either - I criticized his lack of judgement in jumping in front of a vehicle manned by an individual he already knew to be volatile and erratic. It was a stupid thing to do and he paid the price for his reckless act. You know nothing about me or my friends and your claim that I kick people when they are down is untrue, unfounded, uncalled for, and just plain childish. What rock did you crawl out from under?

Are you in military yourself?
marchf View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 12:29pm
McKinney has a troubled past. He was the Command Sergeant Major of the Army and was accused of sexual assaults and court-martialed. He was acquitted of the main allegations, but convicted of obstruction of justice as he attempted some shenanigans involving making up an alibi. They were lenient with him and busted him one rank, but because he had held the position of Command Sergeant Major of the Army, the law then did not anticipate such a person could be court-martialed and the law mandated he be paid at the retired rate for that rank for life. Based on McKinney, the law was revised, but does not apply retroactively.

McKinney's picture was in the paper yesterday. I warn you all that he has an identical twin brother who was also a Command Sergeant Major and his brother does not have the same troubled past. This is probably an anger control issue.

In all the years of slugging, I believe this is the worst incident I have seen. I believe we have a good track record with our slugging procedures and this incident is an outlying exception to the overwhelming majority of good trips. For the most part, folks with good cars going to good jobs do not want to mess up their good deal. In this case, McKinney will lose his job and he will likely go to jail.
leasetwo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leasetwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 12:47pm

I think the original poster, tmcc, handled himself correctly by exiting the vehicle and walking away.

I don’t think I would give TMCC the same KUDOs.

The entire event and activities seem to be based on his word alone. His description is flip-it and inconsistent. Driving fast and passing one Prius in that long trip in the HOV lane is not erratic driving especially in the described vehicle. If he were playing a game on his phone, looking down by the time he served around the “Prius”, it would be unidentifiable. Whats wrong with overtaking a slower vehicle?

Requesting the slug not violate the rules of making adjustments to your vehicle is not “scolding” the slug. It’s enforcing control of your own vehicle.

TMCC said he got “a bad vibe that he was not a friendly guy so I stayed quiet in the back.” Yet in a later post he said he rode with this driver before. Notice he started his blog by saying “Hi folks, I'll try to keep this short as this story could get out of control.” Hhhhuummmmmm Why did he ride again if not comfortable with him?

Experienced slugs know the rules, know drivers drive fast in the HOV lane and should not get upset when they have a perky driver.

I did not read anything in TMCC’s post to warrant pictures or a report to any authority. Again, what fool would step in front of a driver trying to reenter traffic to take a picture of license plate? The one on the rear is just as visible.

polly bedwetter View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polly bedwetter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 6:14pm
I live in the are of where this man says he was picked up and I've heard of people harassing drivers on the way to work. They are making false claims in regards to the drivers in hopes of a law suit. These must be the guys. I don't know if it's safe to pick people up anymore if riders are going to start scams like this. This is supposed to be a safe way to commute, but people like this are making it scary. And why did this passenger just so happen to have a camera on him? Hhhhmmm. Sounds like a scam to me.
slug123456789 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slug123456789 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 8:09am
quote:
Originally posted by polly bedwetter

I live in the are of where this man says he was picked up and I've heard of people harassing drivers on the way to work. They are making false claims in regards to the drivers in hopes of a law suit. These must be the guys. I don't know if it's safe to pick people up anymore if riders are going to start scams like this. This is supposed to be a safe way to commute, but people like this are making it scary. And why did this passenger just so happen to have a camera on him? Hhhhmmm. Sounds like a scam to me.

Can we say, camera phone. Not exactly a conspiracy theory.

Oh, and too the person who says the driver is enforcing ownership of his own car by not allowing the passenger to adjust the seat. Please. I have gotten into cars where the seat back is almost laying down. I am most certanly going to adjust that so I can sit up like a normal person and I will not ask permission. If the driver has a problem with it, I can pick another car. Also, I am very tall with long legs and if I need to move the seat back, I will or I will again, pick another car. So take that! For anything else, I will ask the driver first before I do it.
AngloAustrian View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngloAustrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 8:48am
To Polly? What!!!! Yes, cameraPHONE - your phone probably has a camera too. Scammer. And, what harrassment of the driver are you talking about? Asking him to slow down?! And, drivers, if you can't handle people adjusting car seats, and don't want to follow the rules of the road, don't want to drive without texting, then don't pick up slugs. The last time I checked, car seats are designed to be adjusted without any detriment to the vehicle. Goodness. What next? Get in the car without touching the door? OMG -you might get fingerprints on the car!! If you don't want people in your car, and the normal wear and tear that comes from that, then DON'T SLUG.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic