Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cheaters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Bodybykids View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodybykids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheaters
    Posted: 23 Dec 2010 at 10:22am
LOL....trust me if I tried to back up they would have given me another ticket for creating a traffic hazard. I got on HOV, this was on 66 in Falls Church on the last exit before it opens up to include the regular lanes, so it was only 1- 2 miles before I hit the regular lanes. I did ask if I got pulled over again before I got to the regular lanes would I get another ticket.....he said no.
CJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2010 at 5:02am
@ Bodybykids: and did you have to back up or were you allowed to go on your way in the HOV with ticket in hand?

CJ
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodybykids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 1:15pm
HOV on/off ramps are considered part of the HOV lanes during HOV hours. So as soon as you touch the ramp and are not compliant - you can be ticketed. Happened to me because I wasn't paying attention to what time it was and got on the ramp to get on HOV and was immediately pulled over.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodybykids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 1:13pm
quote:
Originally posted by CJ

I'm pretty sure you can't ticket them until they are actually ON the HOV,after all they technically haven't committed a crime until then. Besides, if they did it before, the on ramp would just back up. Not trying to be a negative Nancy here, but unless they do something like red light cameras (which is probably cost prohibitive), it's just one of those things rude people do that maybe they get caught at, maybe they don't.

CJ

USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 11:51am
Virginia had something called Project HERO years ago where people could call an 800-number to report HOV violators. The violators would receive a letter of admonition in the mail (actual ticketing was impossible, of course, because they'd be going entirely on hearsay). I recall the system being quite popular, but lack of funding led to its demise. I suppose that makes sense--having a phone-in system that doesn't actually carry any legal consequence isn't really the best use of tax money.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 5:55pm
quote:
Originally posted by Spectrepilot

I thought I heard something on the radio the other day about a way to report HOV violators. I know there is a new App on the Iphone for reporting bad drivers, but I think this was a different method. I searched around a bit, but can't find a website or anything. I think I heard it on WTOP and it was a way to text a license plate and location.

SP,
It wasn't about the DC area.

The report describes a program named HERO (http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/hov/hero.htm) where citizens can report HOV, HOT, and Ferry lane violators in the state of Washington.

See the last several paragraphs of this article: http://wtop.com/?sid=2202034&nid=25

The program seems to get some results.
Spectrepilot View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spectrepilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 3:49pm
I thought I heard something on the radio the other day about a way to report HOV violators. I know there is a new App on the Iphone for reporting bad drivers, but I think this was a different method. I searched around a bit, but can't find a website or anything. I think I heard it on WTOP and it was a way to text a license plate and location.
CJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 8:58am
I'm pretty sure you can't ticket them until they are actually ON the HOV,after all they technically haven't committed a crime until then. Besides, if they did it before, the on ramp would just back up. Not trying to be a negative Nancy here, but unless they do something like red light cameras (which is probably cost prohibitive), it's just one of those things rude people do that maybe they get caught at, maybe they don't.

CJ
slug123456789 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slug123456789 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 7:37am
I agree with Flyby that the enforcement should be at the start of the HOV on-ramp whether that is at the commuter lot or a regular ramp. If they continue to stop cheaters in the HOV that will cause the back up. If they stop them before they even get on the HOV, that is when the real slugs benefit.
Flyby View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 7:24am
But if they would just do their enforcing at the top of the ramps in the am and pm then the morons that hit the brakes every time they even think they see a state trooper vehicle won't see them, hence no traffic tie-ups. Just takes a little bit of common sense.

Flyby
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic