Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Potomac Mills reducing commuter parking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Rose14507 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rose14507 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 10:54pm
Are there slug lines at the Dale City Commuter Lot ( behind Giant ) going to 14th St or 18th St?
ckenyattas2011 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckenyattas2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 1:42am
I have been slugging for now almost 14 years. I have seen a lot of changes through those years. I remember we had our slug line right where IKEA is located. Then we moved from IKEA to parking our cars to Wal-Mart. Then from Wal-Mart to Target. And finally the last few years we parked our cars near Costco at Potomac Mills. Also don't forget we park our cars at Prince William Square. We use Prince William Square as an overflow commuter lot. We have been moving around during the last ten years that we really don’t really don’t have a permanent space to park our cars. I also notice a pattern when gas prices go up; Potomac Mills try to reduce the commuter parking space to prevent us from parking our cars. Remember when gas went up almost $2.50 to $3.00 for the first time Potomac Mills reduces the commuter parking space. And now they are doing the something again since the cost of gas is more than $3.00 a gallon. But this time Potomac Mills have a good reason because they are expanding the mall. I will miss parking my car at Potomac Mills because the security guards are able to watch our cars. I think the county needs to use our tax dollars to either expand the existing commuter lots or build a new commuter lot to accommodate the sluggers. [8D]

C.K.
ckenyattas2011 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckenyattas2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 1:10am
There is a solution to this problem. I suggested that we need to start using the parking lot at Kmart which is on Dale Blvd. There is a communter lot there and it is an easy access to Interstate 95 and HOV. Right now that lot is being use for van pool pick up. If people are interested I would like to set up a new slug line starting February 1, 2011. Please reply and tell me what you think.

Thanks.

C.K. [8D]

C.K.
CJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 9:19am
I'm loving all these people who are just randomly saying "my parking doesn't effect their business" or "they don't need to shut down parking now". Do you not think that maybe PM has done some studies or built a few timelines or done marketing surveys? Do you all really think they had no clue that a bunch of people were going to be ticked off that their free parking was about to be downsized? I really love that all of you are somehow mall management or marketing experts. Don't get me wrong I know some of you probably do work in the field in some way, but to think that PM just randomly said"Hey we are going to build here in xx years, let's tick off a bunch of potential customers for no reason" is silly.

CJ
Checkers View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Checkers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 9:27pm
Spectrepilot -- "mighty big sense of entitlement". I couldn't have said it better.
PeterFree View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterFree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 7:58pm
The mall is not going to change for you, and your suggestion to add additional parking spaces is about as far in left field as you can imagine.....The mall only has to provide 275 spaces. Call your board of supervisor and complain to him, from what I understand, they have known for years that this would happen and did nothing. Don't blame the mall they are a business, and by adding more retail and restaurants only means more taxes. You use the mall lot on a daily basis and probably don't shop after work, so your boycott really doesn't matter.....
ranajee View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranajee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 1:15pm
BOYCOTT THE MALL:

Let's spread the word and Boycott the mall for about a month. It will surely bring down the sales and the Mall management may think of granting more space to commuters.

I was also looking at the Google Satellite view and it shows the mall and parking (probably it's a weekend, not weekday). There are still plenty of parking even on the weekend (which is usually a busy day).

MY SUGGESTED PARKING LOT:
Here is what I would suggest that the parking should be and it does not effect the Potomac Mills business in any ways:
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_6Ao5y3-OIbk/TTnKkplAlaI/AAAAAAAACD4/hxHB79qdP70/s720/PotomacMills__Parking_Suggested.jpg

I work in Falls Church and I drive every day, but I used to slug before and I pick up from Potomac Mills often. This parking change does not effect me directly, but I do feel the pain that we all will see in less than 30 days. So, please act now

Boycott the mall from Feb 1, 2011 until Feb 28, 2011 - Let the sale go down and spread the word as much as you can and make the mall management realize that their business will be possible because of consumers like us. Our parking problem needs to be solved and it for sure does not effect the mall business in any way.

Adnan
bcostello View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcostello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 12:39pm
In order to build the expansion, Simon Malls would have to have an approved site plan and an approved set of building plans. Has anyone asked Simon Malls or the County if the site plan or building plans are approved or even submitted? If neither have been approved...this expansion is at least a year away. If this is so, why the rush for next month?

I think before the rush to find news spaces, I think some more questions need to be asked of the Mall. Although it is their property and Simon can choose to have the spaces or not, I do think they need to be transparent about their reasons if no site/buildingplans have even been submitted.

BCC
acarter729 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acarter729 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 12:45pm
quote:
Originally posted by Bodybykids

I don't slug from Potomac Mills but I agree with FedUp. Behind Costco, Across from IKEA and also where the furniture store is - these area's very rarely fill up and certainly not during the work-week hours. Why not move the parking to these area's?

If they reduce it to 250 spots - will PRTC also move the bus lines from there?

Do any of the commuters who park at Potomac Mills consider using the Lot off of the Occoquan/123 exit? I don't think this lot fills up and its not that far from Potomac Mills.

Just my 2 cents.

Hi, PRTC just announced that they are moving their bus stops from the front of the mall to the stop by F&M furniture. Maybe the mall can reconsider just relocating the slug line pick up and drop off point to this lot.
slug123456789 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slug123456789 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 12:42pm
quote:
Originally posted by acarter729

I just received an alert from PRTC that they will be moving the PRTC bus stop located near the main entrance of Potomac Mills Mall to the mall entrance near F&M Furniture. Here is the link to PRTC's website with this announcement.
http://prtctransit.org/myprtc/service-updates/service_updates.php?docid=267

Sounds to me like the slug lines can be moved there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
  Share Topic