Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Potomac Mills reducing commuter parking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugguru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Potomac Mills reducing commuter parking
    Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 11:42am
Just saw this
Commuters who park at Potomac Mills may soon have to go elsewhere.

The mall's management has announced that the mall will be reducing the number of commuter parking spaces available in its parking lot from 1000 to 250.

The change will be effective Feb. 14.

Stay with insidenova.com and the News & Messenger for more on this story.

http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2011/jan/13/potomac-mills-mall-reduce-commuter-parking-spaces-ar-772333/
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 11:45am
I just hear about this too. Here is another link to

http://potomaclocal.com/news/stafford/potomac-mills-to-reduce-commuter-parking/#more-2861

Woodbridge, Va. –– It won’t be a happy Valentine’s Day for some Woodbridge commuters.

Potomac Mills mall in Woodbridge on February 14th will decrease the number of commuter parking spaces on its lot by 75 percent, from 1,000 spaces to just 250.

Woodbridge District Supervisor Frank Principi made the announcement today, and said the loss of the spaces is unfortunate but added the mall is allowed to reduce the number of spaces as part of their special use permit with Prince William County.

Many Slugs (those who ride in cars of three or more occupants on Interstate 95’s High Occupancy Vehicle lanes) use the lot each morning.

Last fall, a mall spokeswoman said the mall had an agreement with Prince William to provide 275 spaces, but had been providing at least 975.

We are still waiting to hear back from Potomac Mills about this decision.

The next largest commuter lot available in the area is the Horner Road lot, off Prince William Parkway and Interstate 95. It’s the largest commuter lot in Virginia and each space in the lot is usually filled each weekday by 7 a.m. or shortly thereafter.

This latest commuter set back comes as a new slug line from Woodbridge to Alexandria failed to gain traction last fall.

pwc94 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwc94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 12:14pm
I'd love to hear their reasoning for this. That lot does not fill up during the average weekday. This is going to impact ALL the nearby lots.

I'm curious though, if they have an agreement to provide 275 spaces, why are they being allowed to cut it to 250?
fed up View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 1:18pm
The only time the front of the mall is even full (where you have to drive up and down the aisles) is at Christmas time. So I have no clue where they are coming from that that statement. I also know that the area behind Costcos and across from Ikea is wide open almost all the time. I have never seen anyone park in that location, even during the Holidays. Why can't we move back there.
UriahKiser View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UriahKiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 1:18pm
Hey, It's Uriah Kiser, Editor for PotomacLocal.com. We are working on g getting answers from officials, the mall and reaction from slugs that use the lot. Full disclosure: I am one of those slugs. Please keep checking back as the story develops.

Uriah Kiser
Bodybykids View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodybykids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 1:36pm
I don't slug from Potomac Mills but I agree with FedUp. Behind Costco, Across from IKEA and also where the furniture store is - these area's very rarely fill up and certainly not during the work-week hours. Why not move the parking to these area's?

If they reduce it to 250 spots - will PRTC also move the bus lines from there?

Do any of the commuters who park at Potomac Mills consider using the Lot off of the Occoquan/123 exit? I don't think this lot fills up and its not that far from Potomac Mills.

Just my 2 cents.
fed up View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 1:53pm
There is no quick way to get to the 123 lot in the mornings. 95 North is almost always a parking lot south of Potomac Mills. This would then force commuters onto the local roads which are already filled to capacity with commuters, school buses and local business travel. The impact of closing off these spaces to the commuters is going to have a more far-reaching impact than anyone can even imagine.

What happened to the plan of building out Horner Road to encompass the space that was left when PRTC moved to its present location? Plans were on the drawing board to make this space a commuter parking lot, but how along ago was this!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Bodybykids

I don't slug from Potomac Mills but I agree with FedUp. Behind Costco, Across from IKEA and also where the furniture store is - these area's very rarely fill up and certainly not during the work-week hours. Why not move the parking to these area's?

If they reduce it to 250 spots - will PRTC also move the bus lines from there?

Do any of the commuters who park at Potomac Mills consider using the Lot off of the Occoquan/123 exit? I don't think this lot fills up and its not that far from Potomac Mills.

Just my 2 cents.

slug123456789 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slug123456789 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 2:55pm
This is soooo not a good thing. I cannot wait to here what the reason for this is. The other local lots cannot support this new influx of riders. I am really glad to know this is going on but we need to learn who is in charge and complain. They had better have one heck of a good reason - like the ground is going to cave in or something.
Bodybykids View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodybykids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 3:37pm
From what I am reading, Potomac Mills wants to expand and add more stores/restaurants. They are being questioned about the availability of parking.......so eliminate commuter parking and what do you have......more parking spaces for shoppers..........

Weekends and evenings are the "primetime" for shoppers......so again why not move the commuter spaces to the rear of the mall?????

I personally try to avoid Potomac Mills as much as possible and adding more stores and restuarants is going to make me avoid it even more.

UriahKiser View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UriahKiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 5:26pm
We've just posted the full statement from Potomac Mills mall to our story on PotomacLocal.com. We'd love to hear your comments about all of this so we can use them in our story. Please include your name and what lot you slug from, or if you drive, and send them to news@potomaclocal.com. Thanks!

Uriah Kiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic