Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Potomac Mills reducing commuter parking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterFree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 7:58pm
The mall is not going to change for you, and your suggestion to add additional parking spaces is about as far in left field as you can imagine.....The mall only has to provide 275 spaces. Call your board of supervisor and complain to him, from what I understand, they have known for years that this would happen and did nothing. Don't blame the mall they are a business, and by adding more retail and restaurants only means more taxes. You use the mall lot on a daily basis and probably don't shop after work, so your boycott really doesn't matter.....
Checkers View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Checkers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 9:27pm
Spectrepilot -- "mighty big sense of entitlement". I couldn't have said it better.
CJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 9:19am
I'm loving all these people who are just randomly saying "my parking doesn't effect their business" or "they don't need to shut down parking now". Do you not think that maybe PM has done some studies or built a few timelines or done marketing surveys? Do you all really think they had no clue that a bunch of people were going to be ticked off that their free parking was about to be downsized? I really love that all of you are somehow mall management or marketing experts. Don't get me wrong I know some of you probably do work in the field in some way, but to think that PM just randomly said"Hey we are going to build here in xx years, let's tick off a bunch of potential customers for no reason" is silly.

CJ
ckenyattas2011 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckenyattas2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 1:10am
There is a solution to this problem. I suggested that we need to start using the parking lot at Kmart which is on Dale Blvd. There is a communter lot there and it is an easy access to Interstate 95 and HOV. Right now that lot is being use for van pool pick up. If people are interested I would like to set up a new slug line starting February 1, 2011. Please reply and tell me what you think.

Thanks.

C.K. [8D]

C.K.
ckenyattas2011 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckenyattas2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 1:42am
I have been slugging for now almost 14 years. I have seen a lot of changes through those years. I remember we had our slug line right where IKEA is located. Then we moved from IKEA to parking our cars to Wal-Mart. Then from Wal-Mart to Target. And finally the last few years we parked our cars near Costco at Potomac Mills. Also don't forget we park our cars at Prince William Square. We use Prince William Square as an overflow commuter lot. We have been moving around during the last ten years that we really don’t really don’t have a permanent space to park our cars. I also notice a pattern when gas prices go up; Potomac Mills try to reduce the commuter parking space to prevent us from parking our cars. Remember when gas went up almost $2.50 to $3.00 for the first time Potomac Mills reduces the commuter parking space. And now they are doing the something again since the cost of gas is more than $3.00 a gallon. But this time Potomac Mills have a good reason because they are expanding the mall. I will miss parking my car at Potomac Mills because the security guards are able to watch our cars. I think the county needs to use our tax dollars to either expand the existing commuter lots or build a new commuter lot to accommodate the sluggers. [8D]

C.K.
Rose14507 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rose14507 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 10:54pm
Are there slug lines at the Dale City Commuter Lot ( behind Giant ) going to 14th St or 18th St?
slug123456789 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slug123456789 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 7:55am
quote:
Originally posted by CJ

I'm loving all these people who are just randomly saying "my parking doesn't effect their business" or "they don't need to shut down parking now". Do you not think that maybe PM has done some studies or built a few timelines or done marketing surveys? Do you all really think they had no clue that a bunch of people were going to be ticked off that their free parking was about to be downsized? I really love that all of you are somehow mall management or marketing experts. Don't get me wrong I know some of you probably do work in the field in some way, but to think that PM just randomly said"Hey we are going to build here in xx years, let's tick off a bunch of potential customers for no reason" is silly.

CJ

I have not read anybody saying PM didn't do studies on this. I think it would have been a lot better, and made people a lot less mad!!! if PM had told commuters months and months in adavance rather than 30 days, or whatever it was. 6 months or a year would have been nice to be prepared because you KNOW PM was planning this and did not just come up with this idea last week! Now people are scrambling trying to figurte out what they are going to do. It is ridiculous if you think people don't have a right to be mad. People should be mad because they are scared and don't know what the future is going to bring. I want an answer on why they are closing the parking now. Are they breaking ground Feb 15th? They better be because why else would they start the parking restriction on the 14th? If they are not planning to break ground until this summer or next year, then let the people park for God's sake!!!
Bodybykids View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodybykids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 8:27am
quote:
Originally posted by ckenyattas2011

There is a solution to this problem. I suggested that we need to start using the parking lot at Kmart which is on Dale Blvd. There is a communter lot there and it is an easy access to Interstate 95 and HOV. Right now that lot is being use for van pool pick up. If people are interested I would like to set up a new slug line starting February 1, 2011. Please reply and tell me what you think.

Thanks.

C.K. [8D]

C.K.

Has anyone spoken with KMART management? This parking lot is not that big and it is private property? It would be great if PM / Simon were willing to accomodate commuters but the bottom line is they don't and consumers also have the right to take their business elsewhere.

If PM /Simon are not or just don't want to provide the parking - everyone put there heads together and find alternatives :

KMART -
Dale City Lots -
123 / 95 Lot -
Horner Road Expansion -

The options are there - everyone needs to pull together and work towards the solution. The sooner the better for everyone. [:)]
lcdmccullough View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcdmccullough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 8:34am
The 123 lot off 95N (at exit 160) is a pain to reach in the mornings but it's the only lot that has enough spaces to handle all the displaced riders. (It has about 700 spaces, mostly unused)

The real issue is how to get back there in the evening? All the slug lines that currently go to Potomac need to switch to going here otherwise none of us will be able to get home.

It doesn't help us that lots of small lots are available for parking. Drivers in the evening want to go to ONE location when they drop off. No one is going to drive all over Woodbridge to drop slugs off at night.
momx3va View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momx3va Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 8:36am
Maybe the county should ask Hylton Chapel if commuters can use their lot during the week ~ most of their events happen on the weekends, from what I've seen!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
  Share Topic