Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Potomac Mills reducing commuter parking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerryclapham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 9:03am
Forget the boycott of PM. Instead I suggest we mount a strong email and phone call campaign to the County Board of Supervisors, state legistature and VDOT. This is were our anger and dissatisfaction needs to be placed. The PW government and VDOT have known for years that this day would come but have done nothing about it. I have written to my member on the County Board of Supervisors as well as the Chairman of the CBOS. Their response - "we are looking into the matter". This week I will be contacting VDOT and my state delegate to get them invovled. We need to let them know that instead of boycotting PM we will boycot them at the next election if something is not done.

I also suggest that we have a townhall type of meeting with VDOT, the Supervisors and State delegates to discuss the option and to address this problem and get some real solutions.

Jerry
DrChen View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrChen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 11:43am
If the Potomac Mills slug lines move to Rt123/95 then PRTC will have to add busses. WHy because I'm sure there are many bus riders that park at Potomac Mills too! Don't forget the bus riders. Right now only the Lake Ridge bus lines serve Rt123...

Yea, Rt 123 lot is a pain to get to in the morning. no easy way to get there...

to the question of how to access the Rt 123 lot...
The Rt123 lot is accessed off Rt 123 south of I95. And you can get on I95 directly or you would have to come out of the lot and access the HOV entrance off Rt 123. On the way back in the afternoon, take the Rt 123 HOV exit and turn left at Rt 123.

But it can work. Maybe we should just move all 3 major Potomac Mills slug lines to Rt 123 and just deal with it...
ranajee View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranajee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 2:36pm
quote:
Originally posted by momx3va

Maybe the county should ask Hylton Chapel if commuters can use their lot during the week ~ most of their events happen on the weekends, from what I've seen!

Very good alternative. In fact, I was just looking at it. The parking lot seems a bit smaller, but if they can give us at least 80% of the space, it would be a great alternative. It is also very close to PRTC and 95 exit/entrances.

Is there somebody who can talk to them ??

Adnan
ranajee View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranajee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 2:45pm
quote:
Originally posted by jerryclapham

Forget the boycott of PM. Instead I suggest we mount a strong email and phone call campaign to the County Board of Supervisors, state legistature and VDOT. This is were our anger and dissatisfaction needs to be placed. The PW government and VDOT have known for years that this day would come but have done nothing about it. I have written to my member on the County Board of Supervisors as well as the Chairman of the CBOS. Their response - "we are looking into the matter". This week I will be contacting VDOT and my state delegate to get them invovled. We need to let them know that instead of boycotting PM we will boycot them at the next election if something is not done.

I also suggest that we have a townhall type of meeting with VDOT, the Supervisors and State delegates to discuss the option and to address this problem and get some real solutions.

Jerry

Prince William County has done nothing in years. Even if they approve a designated spot or build a new parking lot or may extend Horner Road lot, it will take "YEARS" to complete.

Think about next month. What are you going to do ???

My take is still the same and even more harsh. Boycott, not only for a month, but for as long as Potomac Mills management gives us not only the existing space, but "more space" to park the cars.

Some one mentioned that we park our cars and then don't shop in the evening. All of us live here and we do shop whenever we have to and specially on weekends. So, the point is that no matter what, we all shop from Potomac Mills at least once a week. If we all stop shopping, who will go there, who will shop, their sales will go down. If we all boycott in a planned way by telling the business owners of the mall that the reason for our boycott is not them but mall management, they can also force the management to let us park during the day.

So, boycott from today until the management gives us more space to park. Here is the suggested parking lots that is required.
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_6Ao5y3-OIbk/TTnKkplAlaI/AAAAAAAACD4/hxHB79qdP70/s720/PotomacMills__Parking_Suggested.jpg

STAND UP AND SHOW THE CONSUMER POWER
BOYCOTT TILL WE GET THE PARKING SPOTS BACK

Adnan
ranajee View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranajee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 2:50pm
quote:
Originally posted by PeterFree

The mall is not going to change for you, and your suggestion to add additional parking spaces is about as far in left field as you can imagine.....The mall only has to provide 275 spaces. Call your board of supervisor and complain to him, from what I understand, they have known for years that this would happen and did nothing. Don't blame the mall they are a business, and by adding more retail and restaurants only means more taxes. You use the mall lot on a daily basis and probably don't shop after work, so your boycott really doesn't matter.....

True ...
But, it's always good to try and do your best and that's what we all should do.

You only have 1 post, looks like you work for mall management !!!!!

Adnan
Evergreen View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evergreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 5:48pm
The Dale City Commuter lot behind Giant is not a safe place to park. The lot is dimly, poorly lit, and despite the County saying it is patrolled, there is a lot of vandalism taking place there. No slug lines to speak of there.

I've been commuting for 20 years and remember when we were pushed away from across where Ikea now is. This PM news sucks. Everyone in all the other lots, especially those barely getting a space at Horner now, is about to feel the pain soon.

I just wish Stafford County pitched in and built more its own lots so that those county residents and those living farther south of there could park and slug from down there from their own without having to drive up the the PW lots. It's a free country, but this doesn't help matters in Prince William.

Please everyone... keep calling Corey Stewart and the other county supervisors. Corey commutes as well to DC; I've slugged with him.
joewaylo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joewaylo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 4:55pm
It took full effect this morning. It was terrible to find a parking space in Horner Road commuter lot. After 1/25/2011 6:15AM this morning, I got the last parking spot.
jerryclapham View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerryclapham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 7:54am
Here is the response I have received from Corey Stewart, Chairman of PW Board of Supervisors. We need to keep the pressure on the County Supervisors as well a VDOT and our state delegates.

Thank you for your e-mail. I am very concerned about the commuter parking situation at Potomac Mills. I slugged for many years and still do when I need to head up north, so I understand this is a very serious situation. Prince William County is working with VDOT to find an interim solution, as well as a long term solution.
Yesterday I met with PWC Transportation, the County Executive and several officials from VDOT, including the new Northern Virginia District Administrator. I made it clear that although VDOT is ultimately responsible for commuter parking, we must work together to resolve this matter, and that currently it is our number one priority.
While not helpful for the immediate need, I did want to let you know that we do have a design underway to convert the old PRTC bus garage site into a commuter parking lot. It is across Telegraph Road from what is referred to as the “Horner Road Lot.” The design plans for the addition of between 500 and 600 spaces. We are working with VDOT to fund this important project.
I, along with the Board of County Supervisors will keep you posted as we make progress in finding a short term solution before February 14th.

--Corey

Corey A. Stewart
Chairman
Prince William Board of County Supervisors
1 County Complex Court
Prince William, VA 22192
(703) 792-4640 - Telephone/(703) 792-4637 - Fax
cstewart@pwcgov.org

Jerry
ktzmom13 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktzmom13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 12:00pm
What about starting slug lines in the KMart parking lot?
KennyP View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KennyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 12:55pm
Tick Tick Tick Tick. Time is ticking away for the powers that be to make a decision. Kmart would work, but there are no PRTC buses that go to that location. So, if you, by any chance can't get a slug ride, you are outta luck. As for Potomac Mills (PM) and stated by Geronimo, "With all this land, why is there no room for the Apache". Why can't PM allow parking in another part of the mall until, they and the County can come up with a viable solution to this problem. We all know that PM is a business and those of you that keep stating that during this forum, WE KNOW ALREADY. But PM needs to look at the big picture. This drastic move will cause hardship to the entire Prince William County community. We are asking for a little compassion. We are asking that you empathize with our situation as a whole, not just the slugging community. Allow us to move to the back of PM somewhere. Your choice, but don't permit this hardship on this community. Whether the powers that be admit it or not, this drastic change not only hurts the slugging community, it hurts all that commute by other means. Our roads, buses, and the like will definitely be affected. Our PWC officials need to get it together. Time is definitely ticking away.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
  Share Topic