Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Potomac Mills Solutions - Let's Get Organized

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 10:43am
Outcome of Town Hall Meeting - The Potomac Mills commuters were well represented last night at the Town Hall meeting co-hosted by Supervisor Frank Principi and Occoquan District Supervisor Michael C. May. Many thanks to all the Slugs that participated and voice their concerns regarding the loss in commuter parking spaces. The meeting which began at 7:00 pm, lasted until approximately 11:00 pm, as commuters took the microphone to voice opinions and ask questions. I think many were looking for the answer to the question: "Where do I go on Monday, Feb 14th for my morning commute?" Unfortunately, there just aren't any easy answers. Suggestions were made to use the Kmart lot, the Gemini commuter lot or the 123 lot, but every option had issues.

Near the end of the meeting slugs seemed to just want somebody take a leadership role for the slugging community and make a decision. As the webmaster, I have tried to allow the "system" to regulate itself but this may require intervention. Over the next 24 hours I will try to coordinate a solution but with only one working left before the Monday changes, this is going to be a challenge.

Thanks again to everybody who attended the town hall or has offered solutions on the message board.

rtreed View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 11:06am
The new slug spot will need to accommodate the designations that Potomac Mills has now which is Downtown, Pentagon, Rosslyn and Crystal City.

I will gladly start to use the 123 lot to park and slug from if we can get dedicated drivers that will pick up and take us back to the 123 lot from the above areas.

I slug to downtown either 14th or 18th street in the mornings between 7:10-7:30 AM and I usually slug home from the Rosslyn spot.

Any drivers interested?
pwc94 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwc94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 12:00pm
quote:
Originally posted by VNorman

I wonder if PWC and VDOT have talked to anyone at the Hylton Memorial Chapel event center? It's very big, usually empty, and located close to the smaller K-Mart lot. With a building that size sitting there empty most of the time, how do they stay in business? Maybe they'd consider renting a few hundred spaces to VDOT for a reasonable maintenance fee.

VNorman

That's not likely to happen. While it is frequently empty during the week, it's not always. In the last couple of years there have been firefighter funerals held there, and the entire lot is filled. If they were to allow commuter parking, they'd have to suspend that offer for such events with only a couple days' notice.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 12:48pm
Here's the scenario for Monday.

Lot fills up way early.
Potamac Mills cops are out in force, chasing folks down when they try to park illegally
People start parking all over the surrounding store lots.
Many of the stores have people towed away.

Many many irate folks.
I attended the meeting, and believe me, there is nothing else that will happen other than the above.

Too bad PM did not give us at least 3 months to organize this.

VNorman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VNorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 12:58pm
quote:
Originally posted by pwc94
[That's not likely to happen. While it is frequently empty during the week, it's not always. In the last couple of years there have been firefighter funerals held there, and the entire lot is filled. If they were to allow commuter parking, they'd have to suspend that offer for such events with only a couple days' notice.

You're right, it's not always empty. And the nearest bus stop is probably a couple of blocks away. I'm sure it wouldn't work as a permanent commuter lot. But we lose 750 spaces after today, so VDOT needs to find an immediate alternative, even if it's short term.
siggy14 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siggy14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 1:10pm
Did anyone ask in the meeting If potomac mills was asked why we only got a month? where they asked why this cant wait till it becomes a problem for them.

Something seems very fishy here that we got a months notice and they havent even started building, there hasnt even been a problem yet of people complaining they are trying to use the mall and can not get parking.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 2:02pm
The subject came up. Someone asked the supervisors if they had approached PM with an offer to lease some spaces from them for a short term fix until we get organized. No dice, according to the govt folks. They didnt elaborate but said there is NO flexibility being offered. Assuming that PM are not jerks (an iffy proposition), they probably went ahead and signed a legal deal with a restaurant or something with a certain, inflexible time frame.
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 2:28pm
The Editor of the Woodbridge Patch attended last night's commuter town hall and have subsequently published an article on the matter. There will be a video up tomorrow, but for now the link is accessible here:

http://woodbridge-va.patch.com/articles/commuter-town-hall-prompts-discussion-and-slug-line-rearrangement
JustALilSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustALilSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 4:04pm
I bet if we took this to the local news station and had it aired all over Fox 5, nbc washingto and wusa9; while subsequently being posted in Washington post and washington times, that we'd get some type of answer or fair justice from Potomac Mills.

DC is already in the top 5 for worst commute. I think they're trying to go for #1.

Rosslyn, L'Enfant & Pentagon Slugger
fed up View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 4:25pm
quote:
Originally posted by JustALilSlug

I bet if we took this to the local news station and had it aired all over Fox 5, nbc washingto and wusa9; while subsequently being posted in Washington post and washington times, that we'd get some type of answer or fair justice from Potomac Mills.

DC is already in the top 5 for worst commute. I think they're trying to go for #1.

Rosslyn, L'Enfant & Pentagon Slugger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic