Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Potomac Mills Solutions - Let's Get Organized

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Burden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 2:01pm
The lot at 123 and I-95 sounds like the best solution. It has loads of spaces, a PRTC bus stop and is located near another slug line -- the Old Hechingers lot. I am a driver and use the Old Hechingers lot in the AM and PM. Maybe slugs returning to the 123/I-95 lot can mingle with Old Hechingers slugs. Given their proximity to each other, in the PM I would be happy to drop off at either lot. I would even swing drop off at both if I had riders going to both.

On another note relating to the Old Hechingers lot, why isn't there a PM line at 19th with the Horner and Potomac slugs. I guess all the AM 18th Street riders from Old Hechingers go to the 15 St line to get home in the PM. Can't figure out why nothing has caught on at 19th Street.

tullylo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullylo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 2:25pm
Please attend this Town Hall meeting. This is our opportunity to explain the issues and hopefully get a short term solution that everyone can live with.

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=grsp8ocab&v=001vd12ggE3Xa5MGnbwPunA2vDekK2zLzVbLy1TnocEmWwrhzQ51Snjgwk3OWZJtwMkYyRpvgUWIacVGQ5V_CfL-PjUVBY1kjOXVkfubHiIjGM%3D
Evergreen View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evergreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 9:06pm
Not only should everyone be concerned about morning parking at the new location(s) for slug lines, but afternoon/evening slug lines returning to these new area(s) will have to be designated/established - and what guarantee is there that drivers picking up riders in existing areas of DC and Rosslyn, for example, will be willing to drop off slugs around Woodbridge/Dale City and down Hillendale/Dale Boulevard way (excluding Horner and Kmart)?

I appreciate that the Board has scheduled a Town Hall meeting to address our problems, but time is running out... February 14 is just around the corner, and I'm already dreading what to do and where to go that morning. This is going to be painful for everyone: slugs, drivers in need of slugs, and for those who normally use Horner, Lake Ridge, and all other lots.
ktzmom13 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktzmom13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 3:55pm
I've been driving since December - was slugging until then. Would like to return to slugging as soon as winter is over! I work at 18th & I - I wouldn't mind establishing a 19th & I PM slug line. PRTC bus picks up at 18th & Penn in evening if there aren't cars and blue line Metro is at 18th & I - so alternatives exist. I also vote that we start slug lines at the 123/95 lot and/or Dale City lot.
jkandmk View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkandmk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 6:57am
123/95 lot would be wonderful for me. I am surprised there isn't a Pentagon line established there already. I prefer Rosslyn though. Then we have the Mark Center issues that will arise in the summer. That will divert several sluggers and drivers.

J&M
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 9:32am
I hope you're talking adding a destination (Rt. 123 lot) with the existing line at 19th & I and not starting a separate line on that block. At 19th & F, we have one line with two destinations for Fairfax County (Bob's & Rolling Valley).

I attended the meeting in Oct. 2010, and the DC gov't proposed moving the 19th & I St. line to 19th & F and combining it the existing line. There were several Bob's riders at that meeting and we conviced Mr. Cleckley that adding a third destination to the 19th & F St. line was a bad idea.

Please consider adding a second destination to the existing 19th & I St. line instead of a separate line on the same block.
cgz View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 11:47am
I drive and slug from Potomac Mills into DC (18th in the AM) ... my main concern is: will there even be an afternoon slug line from 19th&I to PM anymore? If they reduce the spots to 275, the # of drivers going back towards there and the slugs that need to go there are going to reduce so dramatically that it might not even be worth it to come down 19th if it's out of the way for a lot of drivers.

Either way ... i'd be willing to slug / drive from the old Hechniger's lot; KMart is much more convenient for me though. I think 123 is going to be inconvenient because you'd have to get on 95 (in traffic) to get there in the morning, right?
tverdich View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tverdich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 3:11pm
I wrote to the county supervisor Frank J. Principi

Received the following response.

Greetings!

As you may know, Potomac Mills is limiting the number of spaces for commuters effective February 14th. Unfortunately, this is going to displace over 700 commuters. I am currently working with my fellow Board of County Supervisor members and County staff on a solution to this situation.

I will be co-hosting a town hall with Occoquan District Supervisor Michael C. May, on February 9th, at 7:00 pm, in the Ferlazzo Building in the Auditorium to discuss the impact of Potomac Mills decision to limit the number of parking spaces available to commuters. We will be joined by County staff, VDOT officials, and PRTC officials to discuss the options available and to receive feedback from area commuters who are affected by the recent decision by Potomac Mills.

In the coming year, the County will be expanding Horner Road which will provide 500-600 parking spaces for commuters near Telegraph road. In the meantime, the plan is to continue to look at leasing spaces from other property owners and better utilizing existing underutilized lots. There are currently 11 lots in the eastern part of the County with excess parking capacity.

It is essential that we find a way to limit the impact on our commuters. Supervisor May and I wanted to be able to inform our constituents and give them the opportunity to provide us with feedback. A town hall will provide us a forum to accomplish both of these goals.

I am continuing to push for alternative transit options for commuters. A feasibility study was completed last fall showing that a regional commuter ferry service is a viable transit option for the area. In the coming month, the commuter ferry stakeholder's group will meet for the first time. This group is composed of local, state and federal elected officials as well as the military, and members of the private and public sector. Their goal is to promote commuter ferry service for the region and to complete a market analysis in the coming year.

For more information:

Windshield Flyer

http://www.prtctransit.org/docs/Potomac_Mills_Commuter_Parking_Flyer_1-11.pdf

Map of existing lots

http://www.prtctransit.org/docs/Potomac_Mills_Commuter_Spaces_Reduced_-_Combined_Flyer_1-11.pdf

PRTC website

http://www.prtctransit.org

If you have any further questions feel free to contact me at
(703) 792-4646.

Sincerely,

Frank J. Principi

Woodbridge District Supervisor

tverdich View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tverdich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 4:52pm
Email from Corey A. Stewart, Chairman
Prince William Board of County Supervisors

Thank you for your e-mail. Potomac Mills is required by a proffer to provide 275 spaces, for over 20 years they have allowed up to 1,000 commuter’s park on their private property. Due to expansion by Potomac Mills they are no longer able to accommodate this many cars. I am very concerned about the commuter parking situation at Potomac Mills. I slugged for many years and still do when I need to head up north, so I understand this is a very serious situation. Prince William County is working with VDOT to find an interim solution, as well as a long term solution.

Two weeks ago, I met with PWC Transportation, the County Executive and several officials from VDOT, including the new Northern Virginia District Administrator. I made it clear that although VDOT is ultimately responsible for commuter parking, we must work together to resolve this matter and that currently it is our number one priority.

Earlier this week Supervisor Jenkins met with a large church that may be willing to assist and next week Supervisor’s May and Principi will be holding a Town Hall Meeting to update and discuss the citizens. The meeting will be held on February 9, 2011 at 7:00pm at the Ferlazzo Building.

While not helpful for the immediate need, I did want to let you know that we do have a design underway to convert the old PRTC bus garage site into a commuter parking lot. It is across Telegraph Road from what is referred to as the “Horner Road Lot.” The design plans for the addition of between 500 and 600 spaces. We are working with VDOT to fund this important project.

I, along with the Board of County Supervisors will keep you posted as we make progress in finding a solution before February 14th.

--Corey

Corey A. Stewart

Chairman

Prince William Board of County Supervisors

1 County Complex Court

Prince William, VA 22192

(703) 792-4640 - Telephone/(703) 792-4637 - Fax

cstewart@pwcgov.org

cwjacques View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwjacques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 10:49am
I don't know if any of these have been sugguested:

1) Potomac Mills could charge a fee, say $25 - $30 monthly proiving
the commuter with the same dollar amount in coupons for use at any
place in the Mall and provide a parking permit to commuter. This
would benefit the Mall in a couple of ways.
a) Commuters would be apted to shop more there[:)]
b) For those who opt out of using the coupons the Mall still wins.
They will have the fee they've charged free and clear. This
could easy generate hundreds of thousands of dollars annually
for them.
2) 1st Baptist Church on Minneville has a large parking lot that I
don't believe is used much during the day.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic