Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Potomac Mills Solutions - Let's Get Organized

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snlfam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 1:28pm
My fear is that some of the Potomac Mills sluggers going to DC will come and fill up 'my' Hechinger's lot before I get there in the morning. [:(] I used to park at Potomac Mills, but it fills up long before I leave for work.

I propose that if this begins to happen, that we use the 123 lot as a backup slugging location for DC destinations (14th/18th/20th). Hopefully drivers who used to drop off at Potomac Mills from DC locations will be willing to drop off at 123 or Hechinger's instead/also. Anyone disagree with this proposal? I am open for suggestions.
shorty5646 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorty5646 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 4:33pm
quote:
snlfam Posted - 08 Feb 2011 : 13:28:53
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My fear is that some of the Potomac Mills sluggers going to DC will come and fill up 'my' Hechinger's lot before I get there in the morning. I used to park at Potomac Mills, but it fills up long before I leave for work.

I propose that if this begins to happen, that we use the 123 lot as a backup slugging location for DC destinations (14th/18th/20th). Hopefully drivers who used to drop off at Potomac Mills from DC locations will be willing to drop off at 123 or Hechinger's instead/also. Anyone disagree with this proposal? I am open for suggestions.

Like you, I also slug in long after Potomac Mills fills up and for that reason, have had to switch to Tackett's Mill - I share your concern about Tackett's Mill being full much earlier after this change takes place, even though it's not the ideal location since there is no line that goes into DC.

Whatever new location(s) we come up with, I'd really like to see a line from somewhere in Dale City (would love to go from K-Mart, but I don't think the lot is big enough) going to L'Enfant Plaza and other locations in the city.
amymariehager View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amymariehager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 8:50pm
I think the Kmart lot will be the best. It is easy for the Dale City and those of us coming from south of that area. I live near Quantico and there is a large number of drivers in my area that pick up at Potomac Mills because 234 fills up early and there isn't a line coming home from the city at night (unless I am wrong...) But having a lot in Dale City isn't convenient.
Boo123 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boo123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 12:26am
I used to park at Horner Road and Potomac Mills. Got squeezed out of both. Now I am in Lake Ridge, Tacketts, and 123 alternatively. I too am concerned about being squeezed out of Lake Ridge and Tacketts by the 700 displaced Potomac Mills folks. It is unfortunate that there are so many (11 did one of the supervisors say?) under-used lots already in existence in eastern Prince William. We all know why they are: no bus service to them, an overall slower commute from them. When I moved to Montclair, I tried the Gemini/Dale City lot for a little while. It added 30 minutes to the already horrid 1h30m door-to-door commute. If we could figure out a way to make those lots work, that would be supreme. Another lot that is nearly totally unused is the one at Harbor and Minnieville. I think the only way that any of them could be more viable is to get some bus service there, but I know PRTC lacks those resources (unless the state of VA is willing to help them on that end). I do like someone's idea (up the discussion) of seeing if Potomac Mills would respond to $$$. I suspect they would and that some drivers would be willing to pay to park there, if a reasonable fee. Certainly all ideas can be put on the table. One last thing, and this may be highly controversial. There are alot of Stafford and Spotsylvania county folks parking in Prince William lots. Should the residents of a county have first dibs on the commuter lots located thre or not? If VDOT improved the commuter lot situation in those 2 counties, would those folks start parking there versus driving up here to Eastern Prince William? If VA extended the HOV lane down to Stafford (at least), ditto? If PRTC or another DC-bound commuter bus service was developed there (to compliment VRE) would that help some of this? For Potomac Mills to go from 1000 to 275 in one swoop is just so drastic. Could they be persuaded to "step down" gradually instead? Like to 750 on 2/14, 500 six months later, etc. It would give folks some time to find alternatives and others affected by the change to adjust. And buy a little time on any new lot expansion at Horner or anywhere else. BTW the 123 lot doesn't get its props, but I think it is a fairly easy lot to get in and out of (being in the middle of a cloverleaf). Yes, you have to creep through that 95 slog from Dale Blvd. northwards to get to it, unless you take Route 1 (which may or may not be a slog itself, depending on the time of morning). It's far after midnight, and I've said enough! [:)]
Evergreen View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evergreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 11:37am
Boo123 brought up a crucial, excellent, logical point that is a huge concern. We have a vast number of people driving from other counties, some even from Fairfax, to slug/take the bus/vanpool from the Prince William lots. What is going on in Stafford, Spotsylvania, etc. that you can't organize slugging from there without having to drive up 95/Route 1 to here??? Those of you who have written about being bumped out of lots that you formerly parked in have valid concerns because every lot is about to face problems this next week: Horner, 234, Lake Ridge, etc. Not all of us start work at 7:00am or earlier. What about those of us starting 8:30am or later???
shorty5646 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorty5646 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 1:25pm
quote:
Not all of us start work at 7:00am or earlier. What about those of us starting 8:30am or later???

Exactly. Those who are en route prior to 7am are probably not as likely to be affected as greatly as us tail-end-of-HOV-restriction slugs!

This limits my commuter lot options as it is, and having been pushed out of Potomac Mills already, I'm extremely concerned about what will happen as of Monday. We need to come up with solutions, and FAST.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to attend the town hall meeting this evening at the Ferlazzo building, but am very hopeful that this will bring us closer to a temporary fix.
S_Tucker View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S_Tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 4:34pm
I only slug from Potomac because it's easier to get back to. If a slug line is developed from 15th street to go back to 234 and I'm sure there are many riders in my position I would slug from 234. How can I start a line from 15th back to 234?
jcppotomac View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcppotomac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 8:24pm
I was unable to make the meeting tonight regarding alternatives for the reduced commuter spaces at potomac mills. Can someone provide a brief overview of the meeting? I'm new to the area and so far I've only been able to successfully park at pmills by 730 and on monday/friday i find a spot a horner by then. Don't have many other options since my child care providers hours prevent me from getting to the lots before 715. Any suggestions?
VNorman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VNorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 8:44am
I wonder if PWC and VDOT have talked to anyone at the Hylton Memorial Chapel event center? It's very big, usually empty, and located close to the smaller K-Mart lot. With a building that size sitting there empty most of the time, how do they stay in business? Maybe they'd consider renting a few hundred spaces to VDOT for a reasonable maintenance fee.

VNorman
Nivety View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nivety Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 9:25am
VNorman, that's a good idea.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic