Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NEW - Two Options for Potomac Mills Slugs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wazmiester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 3:07pm
Thank you Admin for taking the initiative on this messy situation. First of all i appreciate your efforts with this painstaking task of organizing a viable solution. I think its a great idea to utilize what we have left at Potomac Mills by designating a single line instead of 3 separate lines, which would have completely disbanded this lot for sure. Its logical to keep the line with least number of commuters and utilize the 275 available spots properly. Personally i commute to 18th street so both options work for me. The only concern i have is that there are a lot of folks who park and ride buses from this location as well, so what happens with that? 275 spaces may not be enough if buses keep running from this location as they are.

I slug!
Jack Burden View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Burden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 3:15pm
Under either Option 1 or 2, I think it makes more sense to move the 14th / 18th lines to 95 / 123. There is already a 14th / 18th line at Hechingers so drivers can easily go to the 95 / 123 lot to get slugs. There are no Pentagon drivers or slugs currently going to Hechingers.

I think it makes the most sense to send the 14 / 18th line to Hechingers with the 95 /123 lot as overflow when Hechingers fills up. I go to Hechingers every morning and if I saw no slugs or a long line of cars, I would be happy to swing over to the 95 /123 lot to get slugs.

Between 8 and 8:30 this week, I have noticed plenty of open spaces at the Hechingers lot, even with snow piles still taking a few spaces. Can't say it will accommodate all the displaced Potomac Mills slugs, but between Hechingers and 95 / 123, I think there will be plenty of spaces.

This makes more sense for the PM too. Drivers already going to Hechingers could easily pick up slugs for the 95 /123 lot or vice/versa.

I think there should be a PM line to Hechingers and/or 95 / 123 at 19th & H where the current Horner and Potomac Mills lines are.

cindileett View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cindileett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 3:33pm
Thanks so much to our "slugmaster" for taking the lead on this. And kudos to Aimee (and a friend at work) for the tip on the Harbor lot. Much as it would be convenient for me -- a driver -- to keep picking up folks for the Pentagon from the remaining spaces at Potomac, the "largest line" is just too large for this. Better to leave the downtown folks, whose only other option is an already crammed Horner, with this as their other option, since there are lines for Pentagon and Rosslyn already at Tacketts.

On another note, I received a nice reply from the owner of Rocky Mt. Chocolate. She was not aware of what the Mall was doing and contacted the manager right away to support the commuters, though she got the feeling he didn't care. She was hopeful that Valentines Day would be a big day for her, but the Boycott will likely decrease her sales. Wanted to make sure folks understand that the message is aimed at mall management and not necessarily the businesses at management's mercy. It's important to have an empty parking long at P. Mills on Feb 14, but you can still honor the spirit of the boycott and support small business people like Rocky Mt Chocolate by making your Valentine purchases tomorrow (Saturday) so you can still avoid the mall on Monday the 14th.
Jakki View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jakki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 5:08pm
My Vote is for OPTION 1. Potomac Mills will accommodate a smaller slug line .
dalecityrider View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalecityrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 6:41pm
My vote would be for option #1.

Jenny
tverdich View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tverdich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 7:28pm
Pentagon line should remain at Potomac Mills
cpthyland2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpthyland2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 9:11pm
Both my wife and I have been slugging and picking up from Potomac, 1 goes to Rosslyn and the other to Crystal City, and we both are are planning to go to location 1 for Monday. And encourage those going to Crystal City/Rosslyn to use location 1
Fall_Line View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fall_Line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 11:00pm
Addendum to my earlier message: I took a good look at the Harbor Lot today, and it is less convenient than I had thought. You cannot turn left into onto Harbor to/from Minnieville, and the left turn lane from Minnieville to Telegraph is offset by a curb whose only purpose seems to be preventing drivers from turning right out of Harbor Drive and then left on to Telegraph. Kind of helps explain why that lot doesn't get any use. The logical solution would be to make an entrance right at the Telegraph/Minnieville intersection, allowing people to go in and out at the light. I think VDOT and the county should prioritize doing such a thing, but that doesn't help us for Monday morning.
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 6:53am
quote:
Originally posted by soldierguardian

Why can't the abandoned parking lot at Minnieville and Harbor Dr (adjacent to telegraph Rd; near the Tackett's lot)? I estimate that there are around 250 spots there...

I did talk to PWC and OmniRide on this lot. They said it was only 150 spaces (approx.). The problem seems to be that Tackett's Mill already reaches capacity even when Potomac had all 1000 spaces. True, nobody uses the abandoned lot...yet. Some slug have asked why we don't move either the existing Rosslyn or Crystal City line to the commuter lot next to McDonalds and then start using the Harbor lot as overflow.

Anyway, it just seems to me that we already have a parking problem at Tackett's and moving anything there doesn't provide for a long term solution. That's why I was looking at the Dale City or 123 lots because they still have a lot of available parking that we can start using.

Fall_line - you're right. The way they designed the exit onto Minnieville isn't very convenient. The lot too is is pretty bad shape. It is a good 2 block walk from the lot to McDonalds too. I did ask PRTC about providing bus service to it but they kind of said 'no' because it was too hard to pull into and out of the lot when filled.
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 7:07am
quote:
Originally posted by Bob

Is it still possible to jump on a Commuteride at Potomac in the afternoon and pay a buck to get to the Dale City lot? Will the buses have capacity for this? Lacking this, the Dale City lot is not viable.

Bob, good question. I can ask PRTC/OmniRide if this is possible. Actually, PRTC has been very helpful but I do not know if they can react fast enough to put together a "shuttle" by Monday.

Just for the record, I personally called the management of Potomac Mills and asked for a two week extension on the deadline to allow us time to get organized. I was not successful.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
  Share Topic