Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NEW - Two Options for Potomac Mills Slugs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 15>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 7:16am
quote:
Originally posted by wkdrns01

The majority of the sluggers are going to the pentagon.
I think Pentagon Line should stay at Potomac and move the other lines to different location.
This is a mess. I think the local government with businesses should talk to resolve this problem. How about Strayer University parking lot in Potomac? Can commuters park there?

You are right...this is a mess. I appreciate your comments and am trying to make the best out of a very bad situation. Leaving the Pentagon line at Potomac may be a problem because it is such a large line. With carpoolers/vanpools using some of the 275 spaces there just won't be enough to accomodate the existing Pentagon slugs. The 275 spaces are full by around 6:45 am. So, a large portion of the Pentagon slugs will get displaced if left at Potomac, but with no where to go - Horner is full, Tackett's is full, etc.

There just aren't many options.
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 7:29am
quote:
Originally posted by Fall_Line

I work downtown and live in Montclair. Currently I slug from Tacketts to Rosslyn and metro the rest of the way (that's the best option given my usual lot arrival time of 7:45-8:00). I suspect the Tacketts lot will fill very early starting Monday.

Thank you for presenting Options. I prefer Option 1, as I would like to see greater utilization of the Gemini Lot. However, I would suggest that the Gemini Lot cover downtown riders instead of Crystal/Rosslyn/Pentagon. My rationale for this suggestion is that current bus PM capacity to Gemini from Rosslyn is insufficient to cover slugs who may be "trapped" at Rosslyn in the evenings.

I liked the suggestion above that Potomac Mills become "Pentagon-only." My suggestion for Crystal/Rosslyn overflow riders & drivers is to begin using the Harbor Drive lot at the intersection of Telegraph and Minnieville. That is a very short drive from Tackett's, and actually a bit more convenient for drivers using the Horner Road exit to avoid 123 traffic. I would also like to see the county investigate the status of the "Tackett's Village" property right next to the Tackett's lot. It appears to be a beautiful and completely unused parking lot, and the property is for sale.

There is of course some un-utilized capacity for downtown slugs to park at the "Hechingers" lot (and I've been doing this long enough to remember the Hechingers building there). Though coming from Montclair, this lot, and the 123 lot (as profiled in Option 2) are a last resort for me.

For myself, I am planning to the Gemini lot a try Monday morning; I'll take a a ride to where-ever, or catch the Bus if need be. I very much hope drivers will start to make that lot an option.

-Aimee

Aimee,
Thanks for your comments which are very helpful. As I was comparing the bus service to each lot, it became apparent that Rosslyn slugs only had 4 a.m. and 4 p.m buses. Crystal City was better with around 11 a.m buses and 10 p.m. Of course, Pentagon slugs had around 33 a.m and 41 p.m options. It's not the best answer, but when I slugged from Rosslyn and had to work late, I had to catch the Metro to the Pentagon to catch the bus.

As for your other comment on Harbor Drive lot, yes over the next month or so, we may have to start using that as overflow. A few slugs have suggested that we split the Rosslyn and Crystal City lines and move one to the McDonlds lot. When it reaches capacity, then we overflow to the Harbor lot. This is kind of what happened just as the new Minnieville commuter lot was built many years ago. The slug line remained at the McDonalds lot and then when the lot was full, the line slowly shifted to Minnieville. So, depending on when the lot filled determined where the slug line was.
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 7:35am
quote:
Originally posted by Cplace

I noticed the K-mart lot was left out will that be left for over-flow then? Anyways Dale City commuter lot works fine for me. Just need to know if the lines will be split up and designated to different areas in the lot. Kudos for coming up with a plan, since the county wasn't much help.

Thanks for the input. Actually the K-mart lot was initially the first choice but then I learned that there are were only arond 80 available spaces. The lot is already used by a number of other commuters. So, we were going to max out that lot in no time. Too bad that location did not have more parking.
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 7:47am
quote:
Originally posted by dwyorkster

The news stories have indicated that the county was in discussion with PTRC and other private properties near Potomac Mills to come up with other options. I understand one of those discussions is with First Baptist Church (at Minnieville and PW Parkway) where they have a large parking lot. A decision is expected in the next few/several days, but, of course, the county's discussions did not really begin soon enough to get everything in place by Monday. Just FYI in case that's a potential game-changer in the next several days/weeks.

Yes, the county is close to making a deal but it may not come fast enough. As soon as the Potomac Mills announced the reduction in spaces they started looking for alternatives. I know, because I spoke with them (PWC) weeks ago and we discussed the different privat parking lots/churches/etc. Anyway, even though the negotiations are almost complete any new parking spaces may not be available for use until the end of the month or maybe early March.

Even if we move Pentagon/Rosslyn/Crystal City to the Dale City lot, we can sitll use the new commuter parking to expand slugging.
dalecityrider View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalecityrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 9:20am
"As for your other comment on Harbor Drive lot, yes over the next month or so, we may have to start using that as overflow. A few slugs have suggested that we split the Rosslyn and Crystal City lines and move one to the McDonlds lot. When it reaches capacity, then we overflow to the Harbor lot. This is kind of what happened just as the new Minnieville commuter lot was built many years ago. The slug line remained at the McDonalds lot and then when the lot was full, the line slowly shifted to Minnieville. So, depending on when the lot filled determined where the slug line was.

You know this is a great idea, I think no matter what we do with the parking situation, Tackett's is going to get full a lot quicker than it has been. Splitting the Rosslyn & Crystal City lines is a great idea as that lot is overcongested and the way the Rosslyn/Crystal line is set up is sometimes a mess and hard to get out of the lot because of the backup of cars sitting and waiting for one or the other blocking getting out. Moving one or the other over to the McDonald's lot really wouldn't be that big of a deal for drivers nor riders.. the only issue being one or the other wouldn't have the option of going to the Pentagon in lieu of their destination and then taking the Metro. They are split at Horner so I think splitting them at Tackett's/McDonald's lot is a great idea to help ease what the situation will certainly become.

My vote would probably be that Crystal City be the one that moves. Rosslyn people seem to be willing to pick up Rosslyn or Pentagon, whereas Crystal City drivers usually have enough people waiting they don't have a need to switch to pick up Pentagon.

Jenny
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 12:26pm
New Slug Map for Dale City Lot!

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&fb=1&gl=us&hq=dale+city+commuter+lot&hnear=Lake+Ridge,+VA&view=map&msa=0&msid=216629350127471298071.00049c18748c4399b65f3&ll=38.646485,-77.341497&spn=0.001931,0.003439&t=h&z=18
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalecityrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 10:15pm
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

New Slug Map for Dale City Lot!

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&fb=1&gl=us&hq=dale+city+commuter+lot&hnear=Lake+Ridge,+VA&view=map&msa=0&msid=216629350127471298071.00049c18748c4399b65f3&ll=38.646485,-77.341497&spn=0.001931,0.003439&t=h&z=18

Sounds great! I hope people come visit the site over the weekend, I was surprised the link said only 25 views.. still not sure people are realizing the impact this is going to have come Monday AM. I'll be stopping by to pick up slugs from this lot to go to Crystal City both Mon & Tue (I normally do not drive but will be those days), I'll be by about 7:20.. be there! :-)

Jenny
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 7:17am
Jenny,
Thanks for the help and please spread the word. This is going to be tough on Monday. Later this morning I will have a flyer to download and distribute. I will be out there too!
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalecityrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 9:19am
Are the county reps going to be out there handing out the flyers? It indicated they'll be handed out (presumably at Potomoc), but was just curious who would be doing this. Maybe if some see this today they can help spread word at their churches. I posted the link on Inside Nova on Facebook and on the comments made in their on-line posts in hopes anyone reading those may see them.

Jenny
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 10:16am
Jenny,
Thanks! Every little bit helps. I have asked for help from PWC and PRTC. I am not sure how much manpower they can put towards this. Also, Potomac Mills said they would help pass out flyers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 15>
  Share Topic