Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NEW - Two Options for Potomac Mills Slugs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 15>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KoolnVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 8:31pm
I live near the Dale City Lot and would be willing to park there if and when we are organized to get a ride back there in the afternoons from the Pentagon. I'm just not willing to take the bus back as an option. It is not convenient for me and it's too expensive. I can see maybe getting picked up from there in the mornings, but are drivers really going to be willing to take you back there? I think it's too far off the 95 corridor for that to happen, but I hope I'm wrong.
ddabney67 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddabney67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 9:38pm
I used to park in IKEA when the lot filled up. The lot cops would watch me everyday but couldn't say jack. Worked for me....
JustALilSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustALilSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 9:42pm
I slugged back from Rosslyn to Dale City lot today. it wasn't too bad. I lucked up and got a ride with someone who knew nothing about the dale city slug line but lived around the corner from the lot. Tomorrow I'm holding up a Dale City sign as I hope it would get me a ride back to my car quicker. I know there are people who drive who live in dale city.

Rosslyn, L'Enfant & Pentagon Slugger
dalecityrider View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalecityrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 11:24pm
I showed up at the Dale City lot about 7:25, was already a car waiting for someone but the PRTC told me she was waiting for a different area and to line up Crystal City one more isle over. Waited a bit and then went and asked who she was waiting on slugs for, she was also waiting for Crystal City. The PRTC said no riders had been there "for awhile" - waited until about 7:35 and headed over to Tackett's, only about a 5 minute wait for riders. Neither of my riders knew about the change, nor where the lot was located. Neither seemed interested either. :-)

As I was leaving Tackett's (7:55 ish) there seemed to be more flurry of activity than normal with lots of cars flowing in, lot wasn't full yet but fuller than normal on a Monday. Entire HOV seemed lighter than normal, and I even found parking in Crystal City (highly abnormal), so I suspect tomorrow will be a different story.

I will be picking up again from Dale City lot tomorrow to drive in, but then am hoping to begin slugging there regularly starting Wed. If I can't get a ride home I plan to get a ride to Horner and then take PRTC from there to the lot (it is only $1.20 and a 20 min ride, which is about how long it might take you in someone's car anyway to get there once you reach Horner), since I live in Dale City this lot seems like it'll work well for me.

Jenny
eggerskf View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eggerskf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 11:40pm
quote:
Originally posted by lilmac25

I had not heard of the changes.... I slug into Rosslyn and I got to the Potomac Mills lot at 6:15am and there were only a couple parking spots left. I noticed that the DC line was much longer than normal (now I know why).

HOWEVER, Dale City is out of the way for me (so is Horner). I will continue to use the mall until the drivers dry up. In speaking with my driver, she said that the other options were also an inconvenience and would stick with picking up for Rosslyn at the mall.

These "options" are not going to work unless there is better communication AND a better option, especially for those that "might" have to slug to a different lot in hopes of taking a bus to the (other) lot that I slugged out of.

WHAT HAPPENED TO 234??? I live right off of 234. When that lot expanded, I was out there in the mornings for two weeks handing out flyers to try and get drivers to pick up in Rosslyn. I did it again over the next two months on Fridays (my day off). I tastefully placed a flyer box on the stop sign several times (where is the "Rosslyn" pick-up sign???), but it was removed almost immediately. While drivers were waiting, I was talking with them. They were all confused about the afternoon Rosslyn line and many said that they were hesitant to pick up in Rosslyn because there was no official signs. Where is the push to get the passengers and drivers to use the 234 lot, especially to get drivers to pick up in the evening for 234? This is a viable option and one that needs much more attention. We, as sluggers, can only do so much. Word will only spread if there is positive action. Pushing drivers/sluggers FARTHER AWAY from I95 is not positive. Putting up better signage at the lots and pick-up points (again, I am talking about Rosslyn) so the drivers can "see" that it is a supported (official) action would be a great/positive step in the right direction.

Until something else is done to resolve this issue, I plan to continue to use the Potomac Mills mall lot. If the drivers dry up, then I will need to explore other options. Dale City and Horner are not one of those options and I am NOT going to pay for bussing and/or extend my commute by waiting for a bus ride to another lot.

I'm sorry, when I started slugging 10 years ago, it was the non-involvement of government which m=enabled slugging to work. That not with standing, do not look for official signs anywhere...this is slugging, put up your sign, create a movement and slugging prevails over capitalism!!

I feel your pain and fristration, but slugs gotta make this work out. Drivers need slugs, slugs need drivers...hold up your sign and get to work.

Sincerely,

Ken
kingdon777 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingdon777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 6:52am
Arrived to Horner Rd lot this Tues morning at 6:30 am and once again there was a flurry of vehicle activity. Although there are more vehicles parking, there is also a much more abundance of drivers. The line for Crystal City was 20-30 deep but drivers were lined up to pick up riders. The wait in slug line was no more than 5-6 mins. Appears the lot will fill much faster so get there early! Also, noticed a lot of drivers in wrong slug line, be sure to ask driver where they are going before you depart. If you drive, would help if you take an xtra slug rider while we transition.
soldierguardian View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soldierguardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 7:48am
A lot of slugs in the Pentagon line again at the Horner Rd lot this morning at around 6:25AM. Drove right up, picked up, and headed down the highway...traffic was little backed up at the Pentagon exit today, compared to yesterday, though.
Cplace View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cplace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 7:54am
I went to Dale City lot this morn got slugs after a few minutes hope it picks up b/c i like getting slugs from there.If it doesn't though whats the horner road pentagon look like at 640/650?
dieselvw View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dieselvw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 8:06am
I vote for option #1- using dale city lot for pentagon/crystal city/rosslyn slug lines.

Question: Are the return pentagon lines going to change? Yesterday, drivers seemed to still only pick up for potomac mills/horner rd...
Cplace View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cplace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 8:13am
I mean I think drivers are going to go where they know. If dale city slugs make a sign I really believe they will be picked up and then based on where people are picking them up at, they will move there. At least at the pentagon I think the best choice for them to line up at is horner road/potomac mills because that's more likely than not where dale city drivers go anyways. Not to mention most of the people parking at dale city are former potomac mills riders so makes sense. Just make a sign for dale city until the transition is over. That's my thoughts anyways.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 15>
  Share Topic