Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dale City Lot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaleCitySlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 10:27am
I was at Dale City this morning as a driver around 6:15. I found 1 person to get in the car (who by chance was using Dale City for the first time). Waited more then 20 minutes before deciding to head to Horner. I will try again, and also spread the word on return trips. We told the person I picked up at Horner about Dale City and he had no idea.
BobNoo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobNoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 12:59pm
Two articles out today. Great news

http://dalecity.patch.com/articles/additional-commuter-parking-spaces-to-come-in-2012?ncid=wsc-patch-readfullarticle
Boo123 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boo123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 6:15pm
With the Potomac Mills uproar, I have basically just gotten back on the bus. Catching it from Dale City/Gemini or 123. At Gemini, when is the slugging happening? It must be much earlier than when I get there at 7:30am. It would be nice if there could be some slugging from that lot down to 8:30am or the like, but I don't think anyone is coming then (neither drivers nor slugs).
VAwitch View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VAwitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 8:07am
quote:
Originally posted by Boo123

With the Potomac Mills uproar, I have basically just gotten back on the bus. Catching it from Dale City/Gemini or 123. At Gemini, when is the slugging happening? It must be much earlier than when I get there at 7:30am. It would be nice if there could be some slugging from that lot down to 8:30am or the like, but I don't think anyone is coming then (neither drivers nor slugs).

I have been getting to Gemini at 7:20-7:40 all this week, and have had no problems getting a ride to Pentagon. I work in DC (WNY) so my commute has increased by over 30 min in the morning & 30-60 min in the evening.

The Baptist church, or even Dale City, with DC options would be most helpful. As things stand now & foreseeable future, I might as well start looking for another job as I couldn't afford busing regularly before, and now it's 40+ min longer to get home to boot.
JustALilSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustALilSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 9:26am
I too have no problem catching a ride from Dale City. I get there between 7:20 and 7:50am.

Pentagon cars line up in the front of the parking lot where the bus stop is. Sluggers should have no problem catching a ride to Pentagon because there are ALWAYS cars there.

Rosslyn/Crystal City line up in the back of the lot to the right where the line of trees are (there's a small Rosslyn/Crystal City sign there).

The longest I've waiting for a ride to Rosslyn was about 5-7 minutes. Thats only because most of the cars coming were going to Crystal City at that time.

Taking the bus isnt an option for me because the bus ride is wayyy too long. From the time I get to the lot until I'm at the door for my job is about 30 minutes (35 if no cars are waiting) using the Dale City Lot. Taking the bus from wherever to wherever is always an hour or more with all of the stops.

Rosslyn, L'Enfant & Pentagon Slugger
Boo123 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boo123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 10:22am
Thanks for the info. I will give slugging from Dale City/Gemini another try next week. How do you all like the way the lines are working? I don't know how to insert a picture in these messages (if doable or if one has to proved a link to a website instead), but I had suggested to our Administrator (last week, when it looked like folks were having trouble determining what line was what) that we all queue along the "driveway" that runs into the Comcast property. Slugs queue along the south sidewalk (form the line E to W or outbound) and cars queue up next to them. Similar to what's done at Old Hechinger. Have the car line spillover into the north area of the lot, keeping a break where it crosses the driveway (for any inbound Comcast traffic). A picture would indeed clarify this best. Anyway, I have not heard back from our Administrator. There may be issues about that sidewalk (like Comcast has an easement or something). I do plan to check with VDOT about it. Will post their reply here when/if I get it.
JSB View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 2:20pm
As stated by other sluggers morning ride at Dale City between 7am and 730am for Pentagon is very quick. Cars are always waiting. However, return ride to Dale City at Pentagon is still a problem. While drivers may agree to go to Dale City, finding a second slugger to Dale City is not easy.
old_timer View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old_timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 9:05am
quote:
Originally posted by JSB

As stated by other sluggers morning ride at Dale City between 7am and 730am for Pentagon is very quick. Cars are always waiting. However, return ride to Dale City at Pentagon is still a problem. While drivers may agree to go to Dale City, finding a second slugger to Dale City is not easy.

This is the lot on Gemini Way (behind the Giant), right? I might use this lot except that there is no designated "official" pickup spot at the Pentagon for the eventing return. I may be wrong, but even the Google Map, Admin put up, does not have a Pentagon pickup spot for this lot. I use the Horner/Potomac Mills Pentagon line and have never heard anyone going to Gemini or Dale City. Where do they pick up at the Pentagon? Is it the Montclare line? Until there is an "official" pickup spot, I don't think I'll try it. [:(]
JSB View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 9:32am
Dale City lot does have a pickup spot for the Pentagon right next to the bus stop. For PM returns at the Pentagon, pickup stop for Horner and Potomac is also designated for Dale City. I do see a few Dale City slugs in the PM at the Pentagon.

Riders are hesitant of parking at Dale City lot due to potential PM return problems. To promote this lot Drivers who have a choice for pickup at Pentagon may ask for Dale City first. That will help decongest other lots as more people will park at this underutilized lot.
JustALilSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustALilSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 9:47am
Your best bet is to go to PM/Horner line and just ask for Dale City even if the driver says Horner or Potomac Mills. At Rosslyn I typically make it my point to let drivers know that I'm going to Dale City even if they should out Horner or Potomac. I'm sure you will find someone who either lives near Dale City or just wants to get home and will go to Dale City. If enough slugs start asking for Dale City I'm sure you will get more drivers who are aware and willing to drive there.

Initially it might be a bit frustrating but if we keep being persistent, it will get better.

Rosslyn, L'Enfant & Pentagon Slugger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic