Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taken Our Lots Back

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
slug123456789 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slug123456789 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 1:05pm
quote:
Originally posted by nice-one

quote:
Originally posted by lbeck63

We need to take our LOTS back from the NON-Prince William residents using the Lots. Its come to my understanding that Rooute 234 and Dumfries other lots are mainly filling up with residents from Stafford, Fredricksburg and Organge Counties folks. Info from PRTC Bus Drivers. They can get there before PW residents because they leaving earlier to get up here, which means at 6:00am in the morning our lots are already full. Hello All Wake UP. I would like to suggest we put pressure of the PW officials to make it to where only PW Residnets can park in our commouter lots. Perhaps we can purchase a sticker that indicates "Slug-Parking Only" once a year. The county would generate additional income. Anyone on aboard with me on this.

Totally agree...[:D]

Not looking to start an argument, BUT, let's say they did do that, are you volunteering to pay for my sticker? One of the many reasons people slug is because it's what they can afford to do and I know for myself, I could not afford to get to work everyday if I had to pay for it. This was all designed as a free system benefiting both parties. I think the slug lines are mellowing out again now that the initial panic is over. I have not heard that anything can be done to block others from parking but if you feel that strongly about it, petition everybody to extend the HOV and to build lots in those areas.
nice-one View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nice-one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 10:41am
quote:
Originally posted by lbeck63

We need to take our LOTS back from the NON-Prince William residents using the Lots. Its come to my understanding that Rooute 234 and Dumfries other lots are mainly filling up with residents from Stafford, Fredricksburg and Organge Counties folks. Info from PRTC Bus Drivers. They can get there before PW residents because they leaving earlier to get up here, which means at 6:00am in the morning our lots are already full. Hello All Wake UP. I would like to suggest we put pressure of the PW officials to make it to where only PW Residnets can park in our commouter lots. Perhaps we can purchase a sticker that indicates "Slug-Parking Only" once a year. The county would generate additional income. Anyone on aboard with me on this.

Totally agree...[:D]
RetiredMarine View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RetiredMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 8:27am
Monkey I agree the military exemption would be the wrong way to go in NOVA. I also feel it is wrong for the off duty FBI, Police and any other single riding vehicle to be allowed to use the lanes. HOV stands for High Occupancy Vehicle.

ETC please never compare what our military men and woman give up to a teacher or a Nurse. The firefight and the Police officers do risk their life's, but it still not the same as our service members. As for your taxes paying our wages, you may want to check with your father as he will hopefully be able to shed some light on the matter.

"A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Back to topic the lots are for everyone not just the members of one county.
soldierguardian View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soldierguardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 7:49pm
I'm a military man, w/22 years of service, who can be called up at a moments notice as I have been in the past. Are service members not worthy of a little bit of special treatment for our sacrifices...and I pay plenty of taxes which is used to subsidize many businesses, pay for the roads you and I drive on, pay for schools, ensure the safety standards of automobiles and workplaces, etc...so what were you saying about taxes? What I mentioned was only a suggestion, so there is no need for you to be so petty, hateful/envious.

quote:
Originally posted by ETC

quote:
Originally posted by soldierguardian

You love your freedom, right...you're welcome!

quote:
Originally posted by ETC

Build parking garages. Charge a nominal parking fee. Forget about giving ANYONE exemptions. Just because your chosen job is the military doesn't give you any more special privileges than someone who is a teacher, nurse, firefighter, etc.

Off-Topic: Yes, I love my freedom and I pay my taxes that pays your salary. I'm an army brat and my father served 2 tours in Vietnam; grandfathers in WWII, etc., etc. But there's no way I would ever look at a civilian and say "Grant me special status because I PROTECT your freedom." Think on that. You choose to be in military thus makes you a professional soldier. I choose to be in the private sector, thus this makes me a professional civilian.

Monkey View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 1:09pm
quote:

I don't believe that it would be enforcible or practical. A more practical idea is for the state legislature to pass a law exempting active duty military personnel from the HOV restriction, while in uniform (similar law is on the books for the VA Beach area HOV lanes). That would free up some parking spaces at the commuter lots.

A military exemption would be an exceptionally bad idea in Northern Virginia - a lot more congestion in the HOV lanes. While this would make more sense down in the Hampton Roads region, where HOV volume is orders of magnitude lower during restricted hours, it would be a trainwreck here.

BTW, there is no HOV exemption for military in Hampton Roads:

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/06/feds-reject-hov-privileges-activeduty-military
ETC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ETC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 11:55am
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ETC

Build parking garages. Charge a nominal parking fee. Forget about giving ANYONE exemptions. Just because your chosen job is the military doesn't give you any more special privileges than someone who is a teacher, nurse, firefighter, etc.

Off-Topic: Yes, I love my freedom and I pay my taxes that pays your salary. I'm an army brat and my father served 2 tours in Vietnam; grandfathers in WWII, etc., etc. But there's no way I would ever look at a civilian and say "Grant me special status because I PROTECT your freedom." Think on that. You choose to be in military thus makes you a professional soldier. I choose to be in the private sector, thus this makes me a professional civilian.
slug123456789 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slug123456789 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 11:40am
No way would I agree to $$ PAY $$ for a sticker to mark my car as a PW resident. Not a chance. First, the parking situation is what it is. Second, license plates on cars, in my experience, are lettered according to region. Third, if I was going to pay to park in Woodbridge the same amount (possibly) that I would have to pay to park at work, what would be the point? This is supposed to be a free system and the real solution if for those other areas to support commuter lots and for the HOV to extend much farther south!!!! Only then will this problem be fixed. And NO HOT LANES!!!
bnvus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnvus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 11:39am
quote:
Originally posted by Evergreen

This topic came up at last week's town hall meeting by a number of well outspoken citizens who spoke out. The PW and VDOT reps had little to say in return and said they could not regulate the problem. I disagree that nothing can be done. Personally, I am under the impression PW isn't doing much, as they even disputed that the PRTC commuter bus ridership and commuter lots are 80% used by PW residents, which I don't buy. This problem has been going on a long time - predominantly at Horner. The Rosslyn evening slug line was a classic example: how many times for how many years did I witness drivers refusing to pick up Potomac Mills slugs because they insisted on dropping off slugs no point beyond Horner - they all had the excuse that they had to get back on 95 to drive farther south; dropping off slugs at Potomac was too out of the way in the evening for them. Pressure needs to be put on our PW Board of Supervisors (by calling or writing) to communicate with the Boards of Stafford, Spotsylvania, etc. and VDOT. Seems like those jurisdictions could care less and no wonder - they're also the ones in favor of the HOT lanes.

We have the same problem in Stafford and Fburg with people dropping off and continuing on farther south....probably more so than PW exits becuse drivers have the benefit of riding the HOV all the way down. I symapathize with you and all others on the parking poblems as it not only applies to PW lots. We share similar problems down south and with the new expansion I am sure we will have even worse problems with parking unless something is done like parking garages. Unfortunately paying to park will probably be the nature of the beast and I believe no one should be exempt. Sorry soldierguardian I like you was military and understand the financial burden it puts upon you living in this high income area. One can only that the transportaion subsidy (smart card) will beadopted for use at these garages to help offset any costs.
soldierguardian View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soldierguardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 11:17am

quote:
Originally posted by ETC

ETC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ETC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 10:23am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic