Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taken Our Lots Back

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RetiredMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 8:27am
Monkey I agree the military exemption would be the wrong way to go in NOVA. I also feel it is wrong for the off duty FBI, Police and any other single riding vehicle to be allowed to use the lanes. HOV stands for High Occupancy Vehicle.

ETC please never compare what our military men and woman give up to a teacher or a Nurse. The firefight and the Police officers do risk their life's, but it still not the same as our service members. As for your taxes paying our wages, you may want to check with your father as he will hopefully be able to shed some light on the matter.

"A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Back to topic the lots are for everyone not just the members of one county.
nice-one View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nice-one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 10:41am
quote:
Originally posted by lbeck63

We need to take our LOTS back from the NON-Prince William residents using the Lots. Its come to my understanding that Rooute 234 and Dumfries other lots are mainly filling up with residents from Stafford, Fredricksburg and Organge Counties folks. Info from PRTC Bus Drivers. They can get there before PW residents because they leaving earlier to get up here, which means at 6:00am in the morning our lots are already full. Hello All Wake UP. I would like to suggest we put pressure of the PW officials to make it to where only PW Residnets can park in our commouter lots. Perhaps we can purchase a sticker that indicates "Slug-Parking Only" once a year. The county would generate additional income. Anyone on aboard with me on this.

Totally agree...[:D]
slug123456789 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slug123456789 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 1:05pm
quote:
Originally posted by nice-one

quote:
Originally posted by lbeck63

We need to take our LOTS back from the NON-Prince William residents using the Lots. Its come to my understanding that Rooute 234 and Dumfries other lots are mainly filling up with residents from Stafford, Fredricksburg and Organge Counties folks. Info from PRTC Bus Drivers. They can get there before PW residents because they leaving earlier to get up here, which means at 6:00am in the morning our lots are already full. Hello All Wake UP. I would like to suggest we put pressure of the PW officials to make it to where only PW Residnets can park in our commouter lots. Perhaps we can purchase a sticker that indicates "Slug-Parking Only" once a year. The county would generate additional income. Anyone on aboard with me on this.

Totally agree...[:D]

Not looking to start an argument, BUT, let's say they did do that, are you volunteering to pay for my sticker? One of the many reasons people slug is because it's what they can afford to do and I know for myself, I could not afford to get to work everyday if I had to pay for it. This was all designed as a free system benefiting both parties. I think the slug lines are mellowing out again now that the initial panic is over. I have not heard that anything can be done to block others from parking but if you feel that strongly about it, petition everybody to extend the HOV and to build lots in those areas.
Monkey View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 3:35pm
quote:
Originally posted by RetiredMarine

Monkey I agree the military exemption would be the wrong way to go in NOVA. I also feel it is wrong for the off duty FBI, Police and any other single riding vehicle to be allowed to use the lanes. HOV stands for High Occupancy Vehicle.

ETC please never compare what our military men and woman give up to a teacher or a Nurse. The firefight and the Police officers do risk their life's, but it still not the same as our service members. As for your taxes paying our wages, you may want to check with your father as he will hopefully be able to shed some light on the matter.

"A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Back to topic the lots are for everyone not just the members of one county.

This.
KennyP View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KennyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 1:49pm
ETC you said a mouth-full when you stated you were an Army BRAT. You have no clue that FREEDOM ISN'T FREE and we have citizens who will give their lives for this country. Will you? With saying that, I don't agree with a military exemption either and I'm sure my military family does not also. But you will not devalue what the servicemember does or could be called to do on a daily basis. I see you have not had many conversations with your former military family members to understand how deep your comments can cut by ridiculous statements. Let us THINK before we speak.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 4:45pm
In an earlier posting in this thread, someone wrote that they thought active duty military could drive alone (SOV) in the Hampton Roads HOV-2 lanes during rush hours. This does not appear to be true.

There does not appear to be any exemption for this on the VDOT (or DMV) website, and an article in the Norfolk newspaper last year reports (at http://hamptonroads.com/2010/06/hov-exemption-remains-bad-idea ) that the federal government rejected the proposal from some Virginia elected officials.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 7:57am
There was also a report on a local TV news website last June about the feds turning down a Virginia request for military to use the Hampton Roads HOV-2 lanes SOV during rush hours.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local-beat/No-HOV-Breaks-for-Military-Drivers-in-Va-95516514.html
GKreamer View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GKreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 12:17pm
It appears that there is a law enforcement exemption in the HOV lanes. Every day (in my experience) I see SOV SUVs, Impalas, etc. that have some lights on the rear deck and I never see them stopped. Half the time they have wither MD or DC plates. Just this am I saw a black SUV with MD plates that got on in Shirlington, he had his passenger visor down and there was a blue & red light (or reflector) there. Once we passed the Pentagon he put the passenger visor up.

George
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 2:02pm
HOV exceptions from the VDOT website at http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/hov-rulesfaq.asp

Exceptions to the rules
1. Motorcycles are permitted to use HOV lanes throughout Virginia during HOV hours.

2. Motorists traveling to and from Dulles International Airport on business are permitted to use I-66 inside the Beltway during HOV hours.

3. Vehicles powered exclusively by clean special fuel (including hybrid gasoline/electric, hydrogen, hythane, methane, compressed natural gas, electricity, liquefied natural gas, liquefied petroleum gas, ethane, and solar energy) and registered with clean special fuel license plates are permitted to use HOV lanes. Not all hybrids qualify for clean fuel license plates. Motorists should check the DMV website, DMV, for an updated list of eligible hybrids.

4. Emergency vehicles (fire, ambulance, rescue) and law enforcement vehicles are exempt. Public utility vehicles are permitted to use HOV lanes when responding to emergency calls.

5. On most interstates in northern Virginia, trucks are permitted to use HOV lanes if they have the required number of people. Tractor trailer trucks are not permitted on the HOV lanes in the Hampton Roads area or on I-66 inside the Beltway at any time.

6. Buses designed to transport sixteen or more passengers, including the driver.

7. Taxicabs with two or more people, including the driver, are permitted.

VAwitch View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VAwitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 8:28am
To those saying "I ain't paying for parking": then don't complain about the current state of parking or lack thereof. Nothing else in life is free so why should our parking be?

Since I am not a homeowner nor likely to ever be, the taxes that PWC or VA see from me is minimal. Yet I have lived in NOVA all my life, mostly in Woodbridge.

I'm willing to pay a nominal fee for a space. Even $50 a month is better than parking at work or busing daily. And I am a single mother working 2 paying jobs to try to make ends meet.

The state & county are telling us there's not much money for upgrading commuter parking in PWC. I'm sure it's mostly true. But with the current & foreseeable hassles coming from Wdbrg to DC if u can't go in at the buttcrack of dawn, I might as well drive everyday to a job in Ffx or Chantilly everyday again. Those employers seldom charge for parking, and at least I have my vehicle handy if something comes up & I need to get home for any reason. And it takes as long or currently, less time than my commute to DC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic