Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taken Our Lots Back

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 11:26am
^

There's the difference... Some of us ARE homeowners and we HAVE paid for the parking in the form of taxes.

Hand over a thousand dollar check to the county twice a year and then talk to us about your willingness to pay yet another fee for a public service.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
slug123456789 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slug123456789 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 11:42am
quote:
Originally posted by Pele

^

There's the difference... Some of us ARE homeowners and we HAVE paid for the parking in the form of taxes.

Hand over a thousand dollar check to the county twice a year and then talk to us about your willingness to pay yet another fee for a public service.

Exactly. And, if there is so little money why then can they afford to expand Horner road and the new lease at the church on Minnieville? Seems like they have enough money for that which the must have budgeted for in past years. I say this to those who are willing to pay to park in there own county, WAKE UP!!! You already pay taxes for this very thing and now your saying you'll pay for it twice?!!! I say Woodbridge needs to find ways to bring in more businesses that are willing to pay living wages so residents can work where they live. If those who are willing to pay to park have so much extra $$ floating around that they can pay 2-3 times for the something already paid for, then pass along some of your extra income to me and I will be happy to spend your money for you since you seem to have so much laying around. I work hard too and have bills to pay. They commuter lots seem to be working okay now that things have smoothed out but give it more time and it will all run as smoothly as it did before PM reduced parking.
Boo123 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boo123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 9:24am
Forgive me. I've only browse-read some of the entries since the last time I checked into this discussion. In the interim, I did write VDOT about PWC resident priority at the commuter lots. I received a reply from a Valerie Pardo. She said:

"I did look into your suggestion about giving county residents priority in the Prince William County lots. Unfortunately we cannot give one countys residents preference over another in lots that were built with public funds and are owned by VDOT. The lots are considered public right-of-way and, as such, are available to anyone that wants to park in them (providing there are spaces).

"As you may be aware, there is a shortage of commuter parking in northern Stafford County- the lots on Route 610 and Route 630 are full to overflowing. It is my understanding that an expansion of the Staffordboro Park and Ride Lot on Route 610 is in design, and will provide about 1000 additional spaces in that corridor."

Just fyi.
Monkey View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 2:11pm
quote:
Originally posted by Boo123

Unfortunately we cannot give one countys residents preference over another in lots that were built with public funds and are owned by VDOT. The lots are considered public right-of-way and, as such, are available to anyone that wants to park in them (providing there are spaces).

Here's the key folks. The lots are built/maintained by state funds. PW county real estate taxes don't fund the lots. We all pay funds to the state in one way or another.

Thus, PW county residents getting preference is a non-starter.
VAwitch View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VAwitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 3:56pm
quote:
Originally posted by Pele

^

Are you willing to give back the interest-credit you get on your taxes? Are you willing to put the equity you've earned on your home (under normal circumstances) - even if you've done nothing but basic upkeep - into a public-usage fund, say for roads & schools?

I didn't think so. So yes, you pay taxes -but you get other financial benefits out of it, in addition to the general security that as long as you're paying on your home (and didn't buy beyond your means) it can't be sold out from under you. I've been kicked out of an apartment, and prohibited from moving into most that would allow for saving for a home "for making too much".

As a lifelong north Virginian who acknowledges the limits of my tax-based contribution - that's why I'm willing to pay a fee.
VAwitch View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VAwitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 3:58pm
quote:
Originally posted by Monkey

quote:
Originally posted by Boo123

Unfortunately we cannot give one countys residents preference over another in lots that were built with public funds and are owned by VDOT. The lots are considered public right-of-way and, as such, are available to anyone that wants to park in them (providing there are spaces).

Here's the key folks. The lots are built/maintained by state funds. PW county real estate taxes don't fund the lots. We all pay funds to the state in one way or another.

Thus, PW county residents getting preference is a non-starter.

Which is why it was suggested charging a nominal fee for places like Potomac Mills (and in theory, the church if it is all PWC $).
goodmphyll View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodmphyll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 3:59pm
I haven't read the entire thread, but I think we have to remember that no one owes us anything. We are very fortunate to have the opportunity to "ride free." After all, those lots handle the buses that we have to ride for fare. They could reduce all the lots, just to handle the bus travelers and then where'd we be? Sure, I want more parking. I'm tired of getter to Horner and having no place to park by about 6:45 AM. I am getting to work way earlier than I want, usually an hour earlier. I can't charge for that time, either. It's still better than the bus or driving and finding a place to park, though. Let me put on a thinking cap...we can still get those, right?

Phyllis Wendt
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 7:12am
quote:
Originally posted by goodmphyll

I haven't read the entire thread, but I think we have to remember that no one owes us anything. We are very fortunate to have the opportunity to "ride free." After all, those lots handle the buses that we have to ride for fare. They could reduce all the lots, just to handle the bus travelers and then where'd we be? Sure, I want more parking. I'm tired of getter to Horner and having no place to park by about 6:45 AM. I am getting to work way earlier than I want, usually an hour earlier. I can't charge for that time, either. It's still better than the bus or driving and finding a place to park, though. Let me put on a thinking cap...we can still get those, right?

Phyllis Wendt

What are you thinking about? They sure as heck DO owe us something. We are the taxpayers. We paid to build the highways. We paid to build the commuter lots. We are not riding free - we are utilizing the facilities that we paid to build and we are paying more taxes on the gasoline we buy in order to use the facilities we built. We own these facilities, we own the government, and it damn well better do what we tell it to or we will remember that on election day. [;)]
pentagonslug74 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pentagonslug74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 9:06am

you can't be serious.
quote:
Originally posted by mycroftt

quote:

Phyllis Wendt

What are you thinking about? They sure as heck DO owe us something. We are the taxpayers. We paid to build the highways. We paid to build the commuter lots. We are not riding free - we are utilizing the facilities that we paid to build and we are paying more taxes on the gasoline we buy in order to use the facilities we built. We own these facilities, we own the government, and it damn well better do what we tell it to or we will remember that on election day. [;)]

mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 9:59am
Of course I am serious. I believe that the people hold dominion over the government - not the other way around. I do not believe that the government owns anything or has any power except that granted by the people. The government does not have rights - the people have rights. We elect representatives to run our gvernment and we replace them when we don't like the way they handle things.

What country are you from?

quote:
Originally posted by pentagonslug74

you can't be serious.
quote:
Originally posted by mycroftt

quote:

Phyllis Wendt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic