Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Commuter Lot at First Baptist Church!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
shorty5646 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorty5646 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 4:50pm
I saw the Update to First Baptist Church Parking on the Home Page -
quote:
There has been a lot of progress towards improving slugging at the new FBC Commuter Lot. PRTC/OmniRide will begin a "shuttle bus" service from Horner Road Lot to FBC beginning May 2nd. As a result, slugs will have a way to get to FBC is slug rides are not available. More to follow as this develops.

With the option to take a shuttle from Horner to FBC, are other slugs interested in starting slugs lines headed for DC (L'Enfant, 14th, 18th etc) effective May 2? How can we get this started?
shorty5646 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorty5646 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 10:49am
I agree, and am willing to help pass out flyers. I would be happy to use this lot as well, as long as I know I can get to my destination (L'Enfant) and back in the evening. Without bus service as a back up, we would definitely have to generate enough interest and traffic to get back and forth without being left behind!

Please keep us posted on the response from the county supervisors.
Slugger05 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slugger05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 10:23am
Hi everyone,

I am writing to just vent out my frustrations. I like this new lot and really want to use it but in order for it to be an effective lot- more people need to actually use this lot. Here is an email I sent out to PWC District Supervisors.

The problem of the underutilized lot still exists. I think it is in everyone's best interest (especially Prince William County's) since about 200K was invested in this lot for there to be a maximized amount of utilization.. It's a great lot and I would love to start slugging from here (I've expressed my interest on the slug-lines.com message boards) but there needs to be more traffic for it to be an effective lot. There are a lot of people saying they want this lot to go to DC. I suggest we start DC lines and a Pentagon line to drive some traffic to this lot. Have PM slug lines coming back to this lot as well so sluggers can efficiently go from work and get back using this lot.

Here are a few suggestions

-make a map of the Church lot and all the destinations it will go to on slug-lines.com
-pass out flyers in the AM at other lots
-pass out flyers in the PM at slugs spots going to other lots

I am willing to help out with this effort but I don't want to be the only person passing out flyers- there needs to be a group of people doing this and it needs to happen for about a week or so, every morning and every afternoon. We need to spread the word. Just like how the announcement of the reduction of spots in Potomac Mills was done.

There needs to be more effort in getting more people to use this lot. Otherwise it will become just another empty, underutilized lot and a complete waste of money.

Thanks for hearing me out!

Mauricios1 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mauricios1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 4:52pm
I am a new driver willing to try the slug-lines. I can pick up at the Church lot from Woodbridge and go to DC 14th/Commerce, 17th/18th/Farrugut West Metro stop.

Would like to get someone on the way back as well.

My work hours are from 8:30 - 5:00. I'm usually by the church at 7:30. I leave the office at around 5pm

Jose M. Arias
Slugger05 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slugger05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 10:20am
I used to slug to work from Potomac Mills and would love to start slugging from this Church.

I would like to see this lot used exactly like how Potomac Mills was used. It only makes sense to do it this way since the same people from Potomac Mills will now probably start coming to this lot since we all need "new homes".

I go to different sites throughout the week which is why I loved Potomac Mills. Some days I would slug to the Pentagon, sometimes to Rosslyn and sometimes to L'enfant Plaza. So I would like this new commuter lot to also have those same locations available.

My husband also used to go to Potomac mills and we would ride in one car, go to one commuter lot and take our different slug lines to work and meet back at the lot at the end of the work day and go home.

For all the reasons stated above, I would like to have this lot go to all destinations (Rosslyn/Crystal, Pentagon and DC).

Once the traffic in this lot picks up my husband and I will def start utilizing this lot.

Thanks!
southbridgemom View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southbridgemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2011 at 5:35pm
quote:
Originally posted by tullylo

As my husband was in the area today, I asked him to let me know how many cars were in the First Baptist parking lot. He was there around 1:00 p.m. and couldn't figure it out so he went inside the church to ask. They told him, and he confirmed, that about 12 cars parked there today. This is such a waste of money for PWC. PWC needs to reroute the Dale City busses to run past this lot. As soon as they do that, it will be full each day with DC sluggers.

I can't attend the town hall meeting. Please ADMIN, mention this.

There was a report on Channel 4 news this morning about the church lot not being used by commuters. I had put a recommendation on this thread earlier about a possible way to re-route a couple of the
Dale City busses to go near the church. I hope something can be worked out, and soon. If someone could take my idea to the town hall, and submit it for action or further review I'd appreciate it.

Also, recommend a DC line of some sort be established at Gemini. The sooner the better.
southbridgemom View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southbridgemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 9:25pm
Here's an idea for you. Can someone please take this idea, "massage it" (adjust as you see fit), and take this to the Town Hall meeting? I think if someone works with it, we could have a workable solution here...

How about taking the Dale City/Washington and Dale City/Crystal City-Pentagon routes, taking out the stop at Telegraph/Biddeford, and re-routing them from the Pier 1 to the church. From the church, they both go to the Horner Rd lot and then to the Pentagon. Would add about 10-15 min to the route from there, but would give another alternative. AND it would put the Omniride bus stop on the same side of the road as the church.

Not sure how many use the stop at Biddeford, though. That would have to be looked at.

sshearer View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sshearer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 12:35pm
Unfortunately this lot is going to get almost no use. With so few buses running to/from it there seems to be almost no cars using it. I have driven past it every day on the way to Hechinger's or 123 this week and there has been maybe 12 cars total using it each day.

I also don't see them adding more buses or a shuttle ride as they don't have the funding. It was a good idea to get more spots but a terrible location to use. The Hylton event center by the PRTC would have been a better choice.
VAwitch View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VAwitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 8:59am
Without more non-slug options to return to the Church lot, it's not going to work. With only 4 afternoon buses, you cannot leave early, nor get to the Pentagon (last pickup point @ 6:10ish) late. And aside from working late, we all know how reliable Metro rail service is, especially during rush hour.

I think the most reasonable solution is run a shuttle - bus, van, whatever - between the major commuter hubs of Horner, Potomac and the Church lot (and the hopefully additional 1 location to compensate for the other lost 350 spaces). The probable response: no money. Fine. I'll pay a buck to ride. I have to do that anyhow to spend 20-45 minutes of my life now, busing from Horner to the Dale City lot from/to which I can't get a direct ride from WNY. For the morning I'm running 50/50 for a ride to L'Enfant vs Pentagon, 50% of those rides are a carful of LE destined. So there are quite a few LE folks at DC lot.

You don't want to pay, don't use it. Surely at the 1.20/1.25 per person they collect now for in-town trips would cover operations, with minimal help from Govt.

The state & county can't have it both ways - push for residents to be green & use mass transit, yet do little to nothing to make it reasonable & convenient for people to use, without having to worry how the heck they'll make it home for a Dr appt, sick kid, or being a team player by staying late for work/office function.

I know several former slugs that have chosen to start driving in solo rather than fool with the current situation. I myself am considering changes jobs to an employer who pays something towards parking/transit or working westward where it's cheaper to drive in w/ security of getting home than current I-95 mass transit.
tullylo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullylo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 7:50pm
As my husband was in the area today, I asked him to let me know how many cars were in the First Baptist parking lot. He was there around 1:00 p.m. and couldn't figure it out so he went inside the church to ask. They told him, and he confirmed, that about 12 cars parked there today. This is such a waste of money for PWC. PWC needs to reroute the Dale City busses to run past this lot. As soon as they do that, it will be full each day with DC sluggers.

I can't attend the town hall meeting. Please ADMIN, mention this.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic