Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Commuter Lot at First Baptist Church!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndsunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 7:57am
I would like to see this lot be for DC. The wait at Pot Mills is at least 20 min because only dropoffs can come after 7a. It is also closer for me than Tacketts Mill. The challenge will be raising awareness. It seems like people would rather break their neck and fight for spaces to get to Tacketts and Horner than try a new lot. I am willing to try it next week. i
NKSK8R View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NKSK8R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 4:26pm
quote:
Originally posted by southbridgemom

quote:
Originally posted by pcr29

With only 300+ spaces, unfortunately we can not afford multiple destinations, I suggested that this lot to be DC just to be fair with the Potomac people that were left in limbo,
Now if I wanted door to door service as I sense to be the logic in some slugs, I would like this lot to be a mirror of Tacketts Mill(without the mess) also taking in consideration the bus service that will be available for this location, BUT that will lead again to leave the Dale City lot under utilized.
In the end, everybody wants what is convenience for them, just my two cents,

If Gemini is still underutilized, recommend the Gemini lot be the 'mirror image' of Tacketts you mentioned above. You have 3 busses servicing Gemini today (Dale City to WNY, Dale City-DC, and Dale City-CC/Pentagon). The DC folks who need/want/deserve a chance for a non-stop trip would have a backup bus ride back to Gemini in the event no drivers show in their respective work areas in the PM.

Then, use the church lot as an overflow lot, since that lot will only have one bus line servicing it (Rosslyn/Ballston). That way, anyone going to DC from the church can still get off at the Pentagon and continue. This will also give the later riders a viable, "one size fits all" alternative.

If you still keep Gemini as a lot to the VA locations, and use the church lot for DC locations, great. But I think my idea above would be workable. Maybe a bit confusing at first (adding to current confusion), but you DO have the backup busses to support it now.

It would have been nice to KNOW the church lot would have been in the picture before decisions were made to go to Gemini, but you do the best you can with what you have at the time. Here's a chance to make lemonade from the lemons.

I agree with you Southbridge mom to *add* the DC line to the Dale City lot since DC slugs would have a guaranteed ride home on a bus if needed in the evening and to use the church lot as overflow for late sluggers ... going to DC/Crystal/Rossyln/(Pentagon if there are any) going north in the AM. I personally work in DC and slug into DC in the AM and then take the metro over to Rossyln to catch a ride home in the evenings. So either the Dale City Lot or the Church would work for me.

I don't think the board of supervisors had the approval from the church at the time of the change at Potomac Mills on 2/14/11 - but yes it would have been more convenient if we would have known this was a possible option before the changes were made.

FYI ... I did see at the Church a message on their sign this morning that said "commuter parking would start on March 14th."
JSB View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 11:16am
I agree that we need to promote Dale City lot, which can happen with more reliable PM options. At Pentagon I still see Dale City slugs waiting for long times which discourages them using Dale City lot. Church lot could be used as an overflow lot(for late - 8am+ slugging).
VAwitch View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VAwitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 1:17pm
AS a former PM slug heading to DC (WNY via L'Enfant), the Dale City is a real PITA. I drive 20min cross-town to drop my son off @ d/c on Cardinal (moved mid-year + program he's in @ School).

Right now, the best I can do most mornings is get a ride to Pentagon. Coming home... good luck... Horner usually, and then freeze my bits off.

I've added 30+ min in the mornings, and 30-60+ minutes in the evening (even w/o highway incidents). It stinks.

PLEASE, either make the Church-lot a DC lot, or even better - add a DC line to the Dale City lot (there is the end closest to the trees to line up - perhaps that "entrance" is the exit-point for the line?
JSB View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 2:17pm
Did we decide on how slugging at the new lot will function? If nothing is certain for drivers/riders, this lot may remain underutilized too.
JustALilSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustALilSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 11:20pm
Will anyone be at this lot in the morning?

Rosslyn, L'Enfant & Pentagon Slugger
shorty5646 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorty5646 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 10:37am
I didn't use the lot, only because it seemed no one has come to a decision on how the lot will be used. Did anyone slug or pick up from the church today? If it will be used as a DC lot with a line to L'Enfant, I'd be GLAD to start going back and forth there - as long as I have a way to return there in the evening!
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 8:52pm
Sorry fellow slugs! I meant to have a map posted last week but I have fallen behind. I went to the FBC over a week ago and it should work very well for slugging.

Based upon the bus service, we could certainly start a Rosslyn slug line because PRTC has added a bus stop there. It is also reasonable to add a Pentagon line.

I know many want a 14th/18th/L'Enfant line but return bus service may be a problem.

I really could use Downtown slug input! Will this work?
fed up View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 12:55am
I am a driver who prefers to go to LeFant on the way to Capitol Hill. Currently, I am picking up slugs in the morning to go to the Pentagon which can be very time consuming especially if the traffic backs up on the HOV lanes as it did this morning. Where can a driver who has to be at work by 8:30 pick up slugs for LeFant? I'm sure I'm not the only person who has this issue. I did a drive-by this morning of the Church lot and it appeared to be very empty. Ended up going back to the DCCL. Fortunately I got two riders for LeFant.
tullylo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullylo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 6:17am
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Sorry fellow slugs! I meant to have a map posted last week but I have fallen behind. I went to the FBC over a week ago and it should work very well for slugging.

Based upon the bus service, we could certainly start a Rosslyn slug line because PRTC has added a bus stop there. It is also reasonable to add a Pentagon line.

I know many want a 14th/18th/L'Enfant line but return bus service may be a problem.
I know I'm one who said they would use this lot for slugging to DC. However, I realized afterwards that the return would be iffy without it being an established lot and/or backup bus service. So no, I can't use it until it becomes established.

I believe at this point it would be better to move at DC line to DCCL because of the guarantee of backup bus service.

I really could use Downtown slug input! Will this work?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic