Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Commuter Lot at First Baptist Church!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Commuter Lot at First Baptist Church!
    Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 12:59pm
First Baptist Church Commuter Lot!

http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2011/feb/25/woodbridge-church-plans-preschool-commuter-windfal-ar-866430/

Here is the text of the article:

Woodbridge church plans preschool with commuter windfall
By Keith Walker

God just smiled on the First Baptist Church of Woodbridge.

We certainly see it that way, said Frank Johnson, executive pastor at the church which recently contracted with Prince William County and the Virginia Department of Transportation to lease out 370 spaces in its lot for commuter parking.

Johnson said the church will find good use for money from the agreement, which will bring the church $288,600 annually for up to five years.

The money is going to go into the church budget and its going to be utilized to expand ministry programs and start new programs, Johnson said.

One of the main ministries the church will start will be a preschool, he said.

We have some excellent nursery and preschool spaces we utilize primarily just for church programs, so we are definitely thinking about starting a preschool, Johnson said. We hope that the preschool in time would be able to stand on its own with the income it generates along with support from the church.

Church officials always thought the congregations location at Elm Farm and Minnieville roads would be a good location for commuter parking, but commuters didnt have a reason to park there since commuter buses didnt roll anywhere near the church.

When Potomac Mills mall closed its lot and reclaimed 725 spaces because of upcoming expansion, the church parking lot became prime real estate, Johnson said.

There was really no compelling reason for commuters to use our lot, Johnson said. Once the Potomac Mills thing happened and the county was looking to solve that dilemma, we were in the right place at the right time I guess is the way you could describe it.

The 65,000-square-foot church, which has English and Hispanic congregations, has between 1,400 and 1,500 members.

The church was originally on Millwood Avenue in Woodbridge near Fred Lynn Middle School and has been in Woodbridge for about 100 years. After all those decades, the congregation outgrew the church there, Johnson said.

We occupied Woodbridge High School for three years while we were building this facility, he said.

The new church opened in January 2006.

The church plans for further expansion in the future, Johnson said.

We actually have in the design plans three phases, he said. Two of the phases involve expansions for religious education spaces and a recreational center, but we have to pay down some debt before we do any more building.

Senior reporter Keith walker can be reached at 703-369-6751.

Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 5:50am
Please comment on the new slug lines in this location. We have approximately 2 weeks to get organized.

To assist, I will post a map on traffic patterns and possible slug locations!
JSB View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 9:30am
It is good news that PWC has a new commuter parking lot. Slugging into and out of small lots is always a problem. While it is easy to get a ride in the morning for a slugger, but drivers have to wait. For return to such lots in the pm is also a problem for sluggers. That is keeping away many commuters from fully using lots such as Dale City, while prominent large lots get filled up early.

J Boparai
KennyP View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KennyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 9:56am
This very good news. Where is this church located and what locations will the lot accommodate, (i.e., LaFonte, 14th, etc)? Very good news, thanks First Baptist Church:]
cksavage View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cksavage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 10:02am
While it is good news that the First Baptist Church is making these spaces available to commuters, there still are some drawbacks for slugging. Unless Omniride plans to make it a stop, there is no backup for slugs to and from. And with only 370 spaces available, is that large enough to support multiple lines, e.g., DC, Pentagon, Crystal City and Rosslyn? I'm a bit dubious about that. Meanwhile, I am finding it slow but picking up with drivers and riders to and from Rosslyn and Dale City Commuter Lot. There are plenty of spaces there, even later in the AM as I'm reading and bus service is also available. Adding this new lot to the slug line location would only serve to further disperse the riders and drivers among the different slug line locations. I say let's encourage the use of the existing, but underutilized slug line locations, such as the Dale City commuter lot.
cmp9969 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmp9969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 11:03am
Just got this information from PRTC. Looks like you will be able to transfer at Horner Road from Dale City buses in order to get the Rosslyn bus.

Good morning. Yes, we are finalizing re-routing plans. The Rosslyn-Ballston route (current schedule link pasted below) will be re-routed to pick up and drop off at the Church.

http://www.prtctransit.org/commuter-bus/schedules/rosslyn-am.php

http://www.prtctransit.org/commuter-bus/schedules/rosslyn-pm.php

Doris Chism

Director of Customer Service and Dispatch

PRTC

Ph - (703) 580-6153

Fax - (703) 583-1702

DChism@OmniRide.com

www.PRTCtransit.org

VA Slugger
fed up View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 4:01pm
I would like to see a line to L'Enfant at this church. I try to leave around 7:30. Currently, I have used the Dale City Commuter Lot for the Pentagon and end up waiting for quite a while for two riders. I much rather go to L'Enfant.
pcr29 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcr29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 4:15pm
I agree to cksavage, lets leave dale city lot as it is now that people are starting to know this lot, and use the available spaces at the church for DC riders, that will be less confusing,
tullylo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullylo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 6:06am
Please use this lot for 14th, 18th and L'Enfant. There are plenty of late sluggers and riders going to those locations. All other lots are full and we're stuck. I arrive at 7:30 as I don't have to be in to work until 8:30 a.m. and am not able to change my hours.
JustALilSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustALilSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 7:13am
I totally agree with leaving Dale City as the Crystal City/Rosslyn/Pentagon line (and have bigger, better and more durable signs at both entrances) and having the church as L'enfant/14th/18th/19th St line as Potomac Mills gets filled up fast which has those who dont have to be to work until between 730 and 9 scrambling to look for spots at other lots that also gets full before those times.

It causes less confusion to those who are just starting to get to know Dale City and it's not that far away from it the Dale City lot. Plus it will be less likely that the church lot will get filled up too quickly

Rosslyn, L'Enfant & Pentagon Slugger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic