Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horner Road Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 5:15am
quote:
Originally posted by Atlantis.99

@ Pele - Look a little closer at the top of the page on Ettiquette ... "Slugging has its own set of etiquette that you wont find written anywhere. Most of the rules are just basic courtesies" ... hence my first couple of points and over-emphasis on your use of the word "technically".

And yet the rules are written clearly below that, completely invalidating the statement that you won't find them written anywhere...

Those are the rules accepted by most of the users of the slug system. So now they're written and accepted as the rules. I stand by my use of the word, "technically."

quote:

As for your original answer on Horner - you over-reached and gave bad advice / commentary ... A drop-off at Horner #2 is NOT considered "Curbside Service", but rather fits within the original courtesy framework.

Then I violate the rule on dropping off short of the destination, because I travel down the Prince William County parkway or continue forther south on I-95 when I leave the lot. I enter the lot, drop off at the first shelter only, then turn left and exit the lot... Many others I know do this as well.

quote:

As for my signature block ... I haven't used this account in years and forgot it was even there ... As for "times to beat", I stand by my original comments on the subject.

Slug-Recipes.Com

And yet you still leave the defunct link there, despite having been notified of it.

I still fail to see how you consider it immature, but I'm not going to argue it. There's no convincing some people. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that point.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
Atlantis.99 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atlantis.99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 7:36pm
@ Pele - Look a little closer at the top of the page on Ettiquette ... "Slugging has its own set of etiquette that you wont find written anywhere. Most of the rules are just basic courtesies" ... hence my first couple of points and over-emphasis on your use of the word "technically".

As for your original answer on Horner - you over-reached and gave bad advice / commentary ... A drop-off at Horner #2 is NOT considered "Curbside Service", but rather fits within the original courtesy framework.

As for my signature block ... I haven't used this account in years and forgot it was even there ... As for "times to beat", I stand by my original comments on the subject.

Slug-Recipes.Com
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 4:43pm
quote:
Originally posted by Atlantis.99

Technically, user Pele doesn't know what he is talking about because technically the whole system is a courtesy.

Technically, if the driver does not intend to go to both stops (if asked), then they must declare that upfront to allow the slugs to decide whether to take the ride (or not).

Technically - root technical, which Websters defines, among other things as "Of or relating to technique"

IE: referencing the written rules of the system...

Here are some direct copy and pastes from the slugging website where the rules of the system are written:

http://slug-lines.com/Slugging/About_slugging.asp

There doesnt need to be any discussion about the destination , such as giving directions, because the drop-off points are generally understood. "Rosslyn" means the Metro station in Rosslyn, not at some other point along the way...

http://slug-lines.com/Slugging/Etiquette.asp

No "curbside" service. There are certain understood destinations. Horner Road means the parking area at Horner Road, not the gas station just down Prince William Parkway or around the block to were you live. If you have a special request, be sure to ask the driver before accepting the ride. Normally, as long as the stop is on the way, drivers will not object.

Any time I've gone to Horner, the drop off point has always been the first shelter and either one of the passengers or the drivers asks about the second shelter.

The system itself is NOT a courtesy, as there are equal benefits for both parties... Namely, the drivers save time and fuel and the slugs get free transportation. Once at the destination, custom drop off points are a courtesy, as the driver does not benefit.

quote:

... and Technically, anyone who lists "times to beat" in their signature block as a badge of honor is immature. If you want bragging rights, list the number of slug round trips you have done or slugs delivered or something worthwhile.

Slug-Recipes.Com

Just like your listing of a defunct website makes you look like a wannabe spammer.

I did not list the numbers there for bragging rights or to serve as a badge of honor. I honestly don't care what you think of my maturity, as that's not the topic of discussion in this thread.

I listed the times in my signature space because I treat signatures as a doodle space where I can put what I want. Maybe it's a subconscious reflection of whom I am and that I don't care how I get to my destination, but that I get there in a hurry... Maybe it's just because I don't care what I put there.

However, one that believes everything they read on the internet and calls others immature might want to examine the mirror a bit.

Times to beat:
Atlantis.99 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atlantis.99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 2:52pm
Technically, user Pele doesn't know what he is talking about because technically the whole system is a courtesy.

Technically, if the driver does not intend to go to both stops (if asked), then they must declare that upfront to allow the slugs to decide whether to take the ride (or not).

... and Technically, anyone who lists "times to beat" in their signature block as a badge of honor is immature. If you want bragging rights, list the number of slug round trips you have done or slugs delivered or something worthwhile.

Slug-Recipes.Com
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 8:20am
Technically, dropping off at the second bus shelter is a courtesy.

If you're getting on the Prince William County Parkway or continuing further south on I-95, you can tell them you're turning left and only making one stop.

Times to beat:
keo sims View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keo sims Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 2:56pm
This helps alot! Thank you!!
shorty5646 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorty5646 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 12:24pm
Usually, drivers ask their slugs whether they want to be dropped at the 1st (the first bus shelter on the right, by the ramp) or 2nd (the second bus shelter) lot.

Hope that helps!
keo sims View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keo sims Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 11:21am
I want to start picking up for Horner Road (Currently I pick up for Tacketts) but I am confused by the drop off points in Horner.

When one drops off at Horner do you stop at the first stop and the slugs walk or do you do different destinations?

Any clarification on this would be helpful.

TIA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic