Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unbelievable

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2003 at 1:16pm
I'm a woman and I agree 100% with tdar20. To take it further, I see no point in everyone staying with the car. You all expect way too much from others. This is NOT a matter of "common decency" or "respect." Get real!!! I would not have thought twice about the man's actions. If the car I was driving broke down, I would not expect any of the passengers to wait for me if they could get a ride sooner.
Vema View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2003 at 7:52am
Exactly right Racee - and additionally, I appreciate the actions of the man getting his own ride. It relieves the driver from having to worry about getting the slugs to their destination, and in the cases, where the driver isn't thinking about the riders, it is the smart thing to do! Why subject everyone to being stranded, when it is absolutely not necessary?????
gsm View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2003 at 7:55am
tdar20, Racee and Vema: Ditto. Totally agree with you.
leblanc9425 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leblanc9425 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2003 at 9:37am
I'm on CBlue's side of this issue. There's probably not much the guy could have done to fix the car and I agree there's not much sense in everyone being stranded just for the fun of it.
However, I think the gentleman should have at least offered to help or stated his intentions rather than leaving without explanation. Sure, he isn't under any obligation to explain, it's just common courtesy. How much effort would it have been for him to say "Can I call a tow truck for you?"

Actions such as this gentleman bother me somewhat. If someone is in trouble or in need of assistance, we should offer assistance. Nobody is really "obligated" to help - it's just the nice thing to do. I wonder how this guy would react if his wife and child were left stranded and nobody offered to help because "they didn't have too"?
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2003 at 10:12am
Leblanc-gotta side with you on this one. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. What I know about car mechanics would fit in a thimble, but I would have at least offered my cell phone, or something!!
tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2003 at 9:16am
Look, all I'm saying is what leblanc9425 and mirangus said, all he had to do was ask, or at least offer his assistance. I'm not saying that he had to stick around or fix the car or anything. Just a simple "Is there anything I can do?" would have been sufficient. I just can't believe that there are people on this board who are actually supporting his actions (assuming no emergency was involved on his part). I'm not judging the guy, just his self-centered and thoughtless actions.
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2003 at 11:06am
quote:
Originally posted by tlschau
[br]Look, all I'm saying is what leblanc9425 and mirangus said, all he had to do was ask, or at least offer his assistance. I'm not saying that he had to stick around or fix the car or anything. Just a simple "Is there anything I can do?" would have been sufficient. I just can't believe that there are people on this board who are actually supporting his actions (assuming no emergency was involved on his part). I'm not judging the guy, just his self-centered and thoughtless actions.

tlschau- I agree with you. And I feel that speculating on the reasons that he could have possibly left in a rush is wholly unnecessary, as there is a really good chance that you'll be wrong. "Well, golly, he could've had an alligator eating his french poodle in his back yard and that's why he may have left." Let's face it, the guy was a dead beat slug. He headed for splitsville as soon as the going got tough because he wasn't man enough to tough it out with the ladies. He was selfish. That is human nature..."mankind is basically rotten," so says my eighth grade biology teacher. Let's assume that there was an overgrown lizard chewing up Fifi, a decent person would have said, "Please excuse my hasty departure, but my little Fifi is being eaten by Godzilla"...or something to that effect. The fact that he remained silent in his departure says a million words about why he left. Isn't it ironic, don't you think?
starry1 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starry1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2003 at 11:54am
This happened to a friend of mine with a similar story. She rides in a vanpool...the same people every day. One day about 2 years ago they arrived at their drop-off and she found she had left her lights on that morning and her battery was dead. She asked a man she rode with EVERY DAY to give her a jump (she even had her own cables). He said "No, I'm late for dinner" and drove off and left her when it was getting dark out. Luckily, a policeman happened to be cruising the lot about then and gave her a jump. She had to restrain her husband from showing up the next morning and knocking that guy's block off.

She still rides with that jerk to this day.

"I started out with nothing and I still have most of it."
CBlue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CBlue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2003 at 3:24pm
Well! I had no idea my venting would start this. I must say that with the passage of time, I have changed my tune a little. Those of you who are saying he may have had his reasons are correct, I admit. I will say that I've ridden with him once since that evening and when we pulled into the commuter lot, he was out like a flash without a thank you. Some of you may think I'm looking for fault with him. Maybe I am, but hey, I didn't have to look very hard! I made it a point to say in my original post that this wasn't a matter of poor defenseless females being abandoned. I just believed the manner in which he left was rude and inconsiderate, no matter what his reason, and, come to think of it, I still do.

tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2003 at 6:04pm
Cblue.....I think maybe you expect a little too much out of people after fighting all day in DC. When I was in a carpool, we broke as soon as we hit the lot on 17. No need to chat and give high fives, the day was over and I wanted to return to my home and be with my family. Maybe thats a bit too focused, and I never thought i was rude....just heading away from something I did not enjoy, the commute. After 6 total years of Pentagon duty I became an expert in getting out of the parking lot as quick as I could. I will say this, In the past I stopped to change a tire for a young lady who during the whole process never said a word. Left me standing there with a filthy uniform and sped off after I was finished without a thank you. So I do know how you feel about it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic