Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unbelievable

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2003 at 12:33pm
I disagree and am with tdar20 on this. Your definition of common courtesy must be mighty wide!!!

quote:
Originally posted by leblanc9425
[br]I'm on CBlue's side of this issue. There's probably not much the guy could have done to fix the car and I agree there's not much sense in everyone being stranded just for the fun of it.
However, I think the gentleman should have at least offered to help or stated his intentions rather than leaving without explanation. Sure, he isn't under any obligation to explain, it's just common courtesy. How much effort would it have been for him to say "Can I call a tow truck for you?"

Actions such as this gentleman bother me somewhat. If someone is in trouble or in need of assistance, we should offer assistance. Nobody is really "obligated" to help - it's just the nice thing to do. I wonder how this guy would react if his wife and child were left stranded and nobody offered to help because "they didn't have too"?

Jah View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2003 at 12:37pm
Slugging is not for everyone. If you are going to be upset with fellow sluggers because of something like this, slugging is not for you! As someone said earlier in this post, "Get real."

quote:
Originally posted by CBlue
[br]Well! I had no idea my venting would start this. I must say that with the passage of time, I have changed my tune a little. Those of you who are saying he may have had his reasons are correct, I admit. I will say that I've ridden with him once since that evening and when we pulled into the commuter lot, he was out like a flash without a thank you. Some of you may think I'm looking for fault with him. Maybe I am, but hey, I didn't have to look very hard! I made it a point to say in my original post that this wasn't a matter of poor defenseless females being abandoned. I just believed the manner in which he left was rude and inconsiderate, no matter what his reason, and, come to think of it, I still do.

Rus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2003 at 12:47pm
Maybe HE is thinking, "Why didn't the driver thank ME?" Point is, this is sooooo minor. I find your judging and re-judging of this guy disgusting. Who are YOU to propose that you know the proper way for others to act. Try relaxing and not expecting out of others what you THINK is the correct way for others to behave. You don't set life rules and interpretations Good grief!!!

quote:
Originally posted by CBlue
[br]Well! I had no idea my venting would start this. I must say that with the passage of time, I have changed my tune a little. Those of you who are saying he may have had his reasons are correct, I admit. I will say that I've ridden with him once since that evening and when we pulled into the commuter lot, he was out like a flash without a thank you. Some of you may think I'm looking for fault with him. Maybe I am, but hey, I didn't have to look very hard! I made it a point to say in my original post that this wasn't a matter of poor defenseless females being abandoned. I just believed the manner in which he left was rude and inconsiderate, no matter what his reason, and, come to think of it, I still do.

Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2003 at 1:44pm
I have noticed that 99% of the drivers DO NOT thank the slugs for riding with them (I've been slugging for almost 3 years, and I can count the numbers of drivers who thanked me on one hand). After all, all we slugs do is allow the drivers to get into the HOV lanes without the threat of a ticket/fine and get to work a lot quicker (and with a lot less hassle, usually).
JiggaJynx View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2003 at 1:45pm
quote:
Originally posted by Rus
[br]Maybe HE is thinking, "Why didn't the driver thank ME?" Point is, this is sooooo minor. I find your judging and re-judging of this guy disgusting. Who are YOU to propose that you know the proper way for others to act. Try relaxing and not expecting out of others what you THINK is the correct way for others to behave. You don't set life rules and interpretations Good grief!!!

Wow, I had no idea so many people had been brought up lacking the ability to be courteous. Is this a gender difference? A generational thing? A few weeks ago, the oil light came on in the car I was riding in, just about two blocks from the Rosslyn Metro. The driver, in spite of his worries about his car, asked kindly if we would mind getting out there. Both of us riders offered to call someone for him, but he declined the offer. It took so little effort to be kind all around.
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2003 at 1:48pm
"Is this a gender difference? A generational thing?" Gender difference? Deffinitely NOT. Generational difference? I don't think so, but maybe a LITTLE (very little).
NoNo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoNo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2003 at 12:03pm
I thank everyone that drives me, morning and afternoon. Its the way I was brought up, and it never occured to ask who is providing whom with the courtesy. Someone gave me a ride, I say thank you.
Tilmer View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tilmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2003 at 12:14pm
NoNo: With regards to giving a "thank you": You're a courteous person which is definitely a plus. I believe the point of the others is that we cannot (and have no right to) control whether others meet our definition of courteous. We'll drive ourselves crazy, otherwise. Much more humane and decent to chill out and not expect others to behave the way we do or think we should.
NoNo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoNo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2003 at 10:53am
That's true. I have had other male riders leave me alone at the line, jump in front of me to get into the same car, etc. All I can do is control my reaction to the situation. Doesn't make me like what this person did, but at least other people were there to show that not all people are discourteous.
Mit View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2003 at 12:36pm
Tilmer and NoNo: You all are right and it makes me think that in recent years, I am actually a bit surprised when someone shows courtesy when it should be the other way around. We should be surprised when someone is rude, but it has become so commonplace. The other day a man held out his hand to help me out of an SUV, and I had to contain myself from kissing him right on the lips!!! I was so impressed with this guy for that one simple act. I'm with you all on the chilling out -- not accepting -- but chilling out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic