Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unbelievable

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CBlue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unbelievable
    Posted: 01 Aug 2003 at 9:59am
I'm pretty new to slugging, having done it for a little under a week, but I had to tell people what happened yesterday evening.

I was waiting at the Fredericksburg/Rt. 3 line at the Pentagon and a very nice woman who already had one passenger, her child, offered to take 3. Me, another woman, and a man got in. From the driver's comments, I ascertained that she had picked up the other woman and man before. Anyway, we were driving down 95 when the van we were riding in stalled. The man immediately asked the woman he was sitting next to to get out because he wanted to get out. I thought he was going to look under the hood and see what was happening. I was totally shocked when he waved down another car, got in, and left! I consider myself somewhat of a feminist. It's not that I think he should have stayed with the poor, defenseless females, but common decency would dictate that he should have remained with the driver until help had come. But no, he was outta there as fast as he could be. I know the lure of slugging to some is the anonimity of the process. You don't have to talk or get involved with anyone in the car, but I do believe you owe the person who gave you the ride the respect of remaining with them until everybody is okay. Am I wrong?

We did manage to get home. The driver's husband rescued us and everything ended fine. My thanks to the school teacher from Spotsy County, her "slugbuddy," and her daughter for a lesson in making the best of a bad situation. They were great to talk with. Also thanks to the school teacher's husband.

tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2003 at 11:30am
The guy that bailed didn't even try to help with or look at the car? So much for common decency. Not that a woman couldn't fix a car, but come on what ever happened to just helping our fellow human beings out a little. At the very least he should have asked if there was anything he could do before he left, especially since a child was involved.

Don't let this experience deter you from slugging. I have been slugging for almost 6 years now and have not had any bad experiences (although I have had a few memorable ones). Hang in there.
VA_Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA_Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2003 at 12:23pm
[:0] You have got to be kidding. O.k., let me get this right, when you say "...waved down another car, got in, and left!", he didn't even check to see if he could do anything? Even with the baby being there? Not good. If so, I hope I don't end up with him or someone else like him when I'm in need of assistance. Glad to hear all turned out well for you and the driver! And like tlschau says, don't let this turn you off the the process. I too only started slugging a short while ago, and found it a very economical and friendly way to get to and fro. [;)]
CBlue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CBlue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2003 at 3:41pm
No, he never tried to look at the car -- just asked the lady in back to move so he could get out. He never looked back. I was so amazed. Don't worry, that was last night and I was back on the slug line this morning in Fredericksburg. Oh and just so you know, the little girl wasn't a baby. She was 12. Somehow I don't think it would have mattered if she had been a baby. This guy was in it for himself. It did turn out to be a pleasant experience. The two other ladies and myself talked about all kinds of things while we waited for rescue. Looks like the only jerk in the car was the one that left.[:)]

tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2003 at 7:38am
OK, what about looking at the other side of the issue? Maybe he had an urgent appointment to get to. Maybe he knew nothing about cars or how they operate?? Before you put him away as a bad person it may be useful to look at the whole picture? Always two sides to every story and this one appears to be a bit one sided.
tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2003 at 10:22am
tdar20, you epitomize everything that I said in my message. My point wasn't that he had to fix the car, but to at least consider the well-being of the others he was riding with, especially the child. Being broken down on a highway (where the average speed is probably 75-80 mph) isn't the safest place to be.

It really just boiles down to common decency and respect for others. So who cares why he did what he did. The bottom line was that he put his own well-being above that of even a child. To me, that's just sad.
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2003 at 11:55am
tlschau - what would you say if one of the women did what the guy did?
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2003 at 12:48pm
Once again you miss his point. What if his child were sick at home and he needed to get there. I had to leave quickly once when my son broke his arm and trust me, leaving a broken down car on 95 would not have been one of my worries! Dont condem a man before you know all the issues, happens way too often in our society these days.
tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2003 at 2:16pm
Arbo, I would say the same thing whether it was a man or woman, it doesn't matter. It's all about helping, or at least thinking of others, especially children.

tdar20, I understand your points, but those are very rare occurrences. And I seriously doubt any of them to be the case here. Besides, it wouldn't have taken him any longer to have asked anyone else if they wanted to go with him, even if he were in a hurry to get home. But he didn't. He just asked to get out of the car and left. So your points are well taken, but lacking any of the situations that you mentioned I'm still greatly dismayed by this persons actions.
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2003 at 7:47am
When a person writes something making an assumption about another persons actions I get very uneasy. Must be the Kobie Bryant thing! Innocent until proven guilty. We seem to be jumping to instant conclusions these days. Even if it were not an emergency at home that took this guy away why should this guy be forced to stay? Just taking the devils advocate side of this argument here. VDOT operates a motorist assistance patrol and there are Highway Patrol cars out so what does this guy add to the situation by staying? Maybe he realized that he might get stranded without a ride if he waited and took the first opportunity? Slugging is completely voluntary. Read a few of the previous postings on this site about drivers failing to drop off slugs at their previously agreed spot. Maybe this guy got burned by a previous driver. Who knows. The bottom line here is yes it was poor manners, I agree…..a quick statement about having to go would have covered it. However, we will never know the real reason and the reasons belong to this individual in question and they are his and his only.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic