Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is slugging coming to?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is slugging coming to?
    Posted: 31 Dec 2003 at 10:09am
A co-worker of mine relayed to me something he saw at the Horner Rd. line. It disturbed me enough to want to share it.

He was walking up toward a line of cars when he noticed that a lot of folks were passing up a car in the front as they made their way down the queue. He saw a woman roll her eyes at the car. As he walked closer, a guy said to him, "don't even bother with that one," as he pointed to the car in the front. Not knowing what was going on or what the gentleman meant, he proceeded to the front of the vehicle line and immediately spotted what all the fuss was about. In the window of the front car was a sign that said, "Black People Only."

I have seen signs that say "Smokers Only." That makes sense to me. Someone can't go an hour without smoking doesn't want to offend non-smokers. Pretty courteous. I've seen signs that say "Women Only." OK...a woman driver feels most comfortable or safe with other women passengers. That also makes sense. However, I'm having difficulty rationalizing a sign that discriminates against everyone but those that are your own color. I can't call it courtesy. It's not for safety, so I'm stumped. I understand that it's the driver's perogative to have whoever they want in their vehicle, but I feel more strongly that one's bigotry is something that should be left at home, in the closet, with the rest of the skeletons. What is this system coming to that we can't spend an hour with someone else that doesn't share our same ethnicity? Boy, if that's where slugging is headed, we're in trouble.

Guess I'll have to make my own sign: "30-Something Red-headed Irish-Mexican Presbyterians Only."
swichowski View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swichowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2003 at 12:06pm
I have slugged from Horner Rd. for the past 2 years and have never seen any signs like that b4. sad very sad. Was it in the DC line or VA line?
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2003 at 12:49pm
Wow. That is truly unbelievable. I can only hope that it was some kind of college experiment in social issues or something...although, sadly, I doubt it. I wonder if they ever got riders...hopefully even African-Americans would pass up that ride.
GeeseAreGood View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeeseAreGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2003 at 1:15pm
I find this one hard to believe, the sign thing. I have never seen any signs, and I will say that rule 6.6.6 says that since it is your private car you can do this, but that does not have to make it OK.

A good suggestion to show disaproval to such inappropriate behavior would be to bypass such vehicles, I mean everyone. For example, if you are green and the sign says green people only, you should bypass this car, even if you are green.
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2004 at 10:59am
That is something! I hope everyone avoids that car as well. Has anyone seen the car or sign since?
k2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2004 at 11:08am
Have we forgotten the "whites only" signs of many years past? The Horner Road drivers still wants revenge it seems.

Anyways, intolerance should not be tolerated by any means. I'm sorry for replying. We should drop this before a race riot erupts again. I discriminate only against smokers.
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2004 at 11:38am
quote:
Originally posted by k2
[br]Have we forgotten the "whites only" signs of many years past? The Horner Road drivers still wants revenge it seems.

Anyways, intolerance should not be tolerated by any means. I'm sorry for replying. We should drop this before a race riot erupts again. I discriminate only against smokers.

You discriminate against smokers, or the act of smoking? Be careful what you say...we don't want any kind of riot here...racial or otherwise.
VA_Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA_Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2004 at 12:41pm
Mirangus, well said on your clarification of "smokers" or the "act of smoking." Dislike the act not the person. Although, at times we have a difficult time seperating the two. I too find this type of blatant discrimination eye-opening. I won't say unbelievable, but truly eye-opening. Did your co-worker say when this happened?
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2004 at 3:43pm
quote:
Originally posted by VA_Slugger
[br]Did your co-worker say when this happened?

Wasn't real specific, just offered the generic "a few months ago." I'll ask him when he gets off leave though.
argentinian_belle View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote argentinian_belle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2004 at 4:50pm
This kind of racism happens every day. One time at the metro i heard an african american boy say "oh, that's the white train" refering to the yellow line (the other line is the green line which is mostly riden by african americans). Also if you ever go to a comedy club or just listen to an african american comedian on tv or anywhere, you can notice how they always make racist jokes about how they are so much cooler than the white race and such. I guess they'll be holding a grudge for a while, but my point is, this kind of sign does not surprise me and THAT is sad.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic