Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vanity Plates/Tags

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2004 at 9:19pm
quote:
Originally posted by wdossel
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by vabigblue
[br]I've seen one that reads "MY HOV" and needless to say, they don't pick up slugs at all.

Same here -- these types of plates can be pretty inflammatory, especially on a crowded Friday afternoon after counting 6 hybrids in the past 5 minutes.[}:)] Almost an 'up yours' attitude if you ask me...

- Will

On the other hand, given the confrontational attitudes some folks here show, a little bit of provocation is to be expected.....
wdossel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2004 at 6:28pm
quote:
Originally posted by vabigblue
[br]I've seen one that reads "MY HOV" and needless to say, they don't pick up slugs at all.

Same here -- these types of plates can be pretty inflammatory, especially on a crowded Friday afternoon after counting 6 hybrids in the past 5 minutes.[}:)] Almost an 'up yours' attitude if you ask me...

- Will
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2004 at 4:33pm
I've seen the one that reads "HOV-1" and as Jerryclapham says, he was with another person.
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2004 at 4:05pm
I've seen one that reads "MY HOV" and needless to say, they don't pick up slugs at all.
jerryclapham View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerryclapham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2004 at 2:37pm
I have seen two uniques plates in the HOV. One on a hybird that states HOV-1. There were two people in the car. The other car regularly picked up at Potomac Mills his plates read SLUGCAR

Jerry
mfassler View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfassler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2004 at 2:10pm
I can't find any anything ANYWHERE that gives the DMV rights to issue the CF license plate to a hybrid vehicle. It uses gasoline--end of story. But the DMV doesn't much listen to me. :(

--610-SLUG

quote:
Originally posted by Wagonman
[br]Roadrunner, if you read the definition that 6. uses for clean special fuel vehicle(§ 46.2-749.3) then hybrids don't qualify.

mfassler, that's great that DMV has that on their website. But they have to abide by state law and their actions have to be rooted in law. Right now I'm trying to figure out what law they are using to claim the authority to issue to plates to hybrids. I can't find one.

USA, you are right about the ILEV law only applying to federally funded HOV lanes. But the state clean special fuel exemption grants access to all HOV lanes in VA(including federaly funded ones) without specifying that clean special fuel vehicles have to be at least ILEV rate. So it does run afoul of the federal law.

USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2004 at 2:00pm
quote:
Originally posted by Wagonman
USA, you are right about the ILEV law only applying to federally funded HOV lanes. But the state clean special fuel exemption grants access to all HOV lanes in VA(including federaly funded ones) without specifying that clean special fuel vehicles have to be at least ILEV rate. So it does run afoul of the federal law.

Right, I follow you; what I meant to say but didn't say very clearly was that Virginia could impose a split regime and allow hybrids (and ILEVs) into HOV lanes not built using any federal dollars, while allowing only the ILEVs (and not the hybrids) into the HOV lanes built in whole or part with federal dollars.

I guess ideally then the hybrids would get their own special license plate instead of the CF.
Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2004 at 1:52pm
Roadrunner, if you read the definition that 6. uses for clean special fuel vehicle(§ 46.2-749.3) then hybrids don't qualify.

mfassler, that's great that DMV has that on their website. But they have to abide by state law and their actions have to be rooted in law. Right now I'm trying to figure out what law they are using to claim the authority to issue to plates to hybrids. I can't find one.

ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2004 at 10:06pm
610-SLUG

Seen your car OFTEN. I'll give you the short version. I generally don't go into work until after 9:00 a.m. I do return home SOMETIMES before the 6:00 p.m. HOV deadline. I am a military wife that lives on the Quantico Marine Base. My line of work almost completely requires that I work in the Dulles corridor area. As a military wife, I don't CHOOSE to be here and am just doing my best to make it through the 3+ year tour here. Owning a Hybrid helps. Now, I also HELPED to eliminate congestion, by negotiating a telecommuting proposal with my company. 2 days per week ... many weeks ... I'm able to work from home. As far as my route ... I drive 95 to 395 get off at the Pentagon, shoot across 110 to 66 and connect to the Dulles Tollroad. It 10 extra miles, but gets me to work 25-30 minutes faster than the beltway and 20+ minutes faster than ALL of the backroads.

ScarletLSG

quote:
Originally posted by mfassler
[br]Works in Reston? I guess that qualifies for some slack. However, I'm surprised that LSG uses I-95 or the HOV at all, rather than taking the back way out 610 through Manassas. But whatever works....

--610-SLUG

quote:
Originally posted by ronin718
[br]LSG works out in the Reston area (got this from another thread). Gotta cut her some slack.

USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2004 at 5:53pm
quote:
Originally posted by mfassler

Hopefully they will expire that illegal, and extremely deterimental exemption sooner than July 2006...but until then, we can just keep hoping that the drivers will learn on their own to help others in need and help reduce the congestion that we all face day-in and day-out.

The ILEV exemption is not "illegal."

Actually, as far as the hybrid exemption goes, the exemption would only be illegal on HOV lanes built using federal money, as those are the only roads on which the feds can regulate such things. Virginia could continue to allow hybrids into the HOV lanes in Old Town or on the Dulles Toll Road (which I think was widened using only state funding). I'm not saying they should or should not--just that they could.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
  Share Topic