Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vanity Plates/Tags

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfassler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2004 at 11:12am
Oh--and I DO write to both VDOT and Virginia State legislature as well as the federal government transportation secretary for IMMEDIATELY issuing an apology for the gross mistake of literally FORCING VDOT (and the police officers that patrol the roads) to not ticket the hybrid (and all other CF) vehicles even if they are in violation of VDOT rules proclaiming that ALL vehicles MUST have 3 or more persons in them to qualify to ride on the HOV lanes to reduce traffic.

--Mike (610-SLUG)

quote:
Originally posted by Stuck2
[br]No, 610-slug, I think you got it wrong and are being very judgmental of others. You don't say anything about motocycles (yes, they take up space and like to drive down the center line and create their own set of issues) or off-duty police men (who think THEY are better the rest of us just because they CHOOSE to become policemen. They violate more laws: they speed, they tailgate). The Virginia Lawmakers gave Hybrid owners the HOV exemption -- so, no, hybrids are not violating HOV. When the exemption is taken away, we will comply and either violate HOV or choose to carpool.

I think YOU need to write some letters and focus your frustrations about the overall increased traffic congestion appropriately. By the way, when I'm on the lanes I do have at least 1-3 others (not always slugs, but when I'm able I stop by the lines). I have found the people who slug to be pleasant, and I bet if you are offered a ride by a hybrid owner, you won't turn your nose up in the air. Or will you? Will you wait for the next ride?

Don't ever slam military families. They put up with enough grief and hardship. And they belong and contribute to whatever community they set down in -- even for the short period of time they are allowed to stay.

Geezehead View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geezehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2004 at 11:14am
Stuck - You have repeated this line or reasoning at least twice now. If you pick up Slugs then none of this applies to you. So, keep picking up Slugs!
Stuck2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2004 at 12:10pm
I'm guilty like the rest of the hybrids of not being fully HOV compliant. This site did make me see (along with a very vocal co-worker) that the HOV should remain 3. All just have to smile our way through the traffic because it's not going away anytime soon.
elypsis View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elypsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2004 at 3:46pm
Would everyone please get back on topic!!!! There are already dicussions concerning this issue...please join them and stay there. Your opinions are interesting and I'd like to read them... but not here. Thank you!

ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2004 at 3:53pm
Stuck2

THANK YOU for this:

>>Don't ever slam military families. They put up with enough grief and hardship. And they belong and contribute to whatever community they set down in -- even for the short period of time they are allowed to stay.<<

After reading 610-Slug's post, I wanted to explode. Military families want to do just ONE thing and that is serve. Alongside out military spouse we serve this entire country, the best way we can. How dare ANYONE call us selfish? My spouse often works 18-20 hours per day ... multiply that by about 300 days per year / give or take and divide that into his annual salary and you get less than minimum wage. I left Active Duty in 1998 and have since had to leave FIVE jobs due to PCS moves. I enter each new job hoping to stay long enough to move past entry level salary range. So NO ... we CANNOT afford a home in the Dulles corridor.

We don't complain, we DO love our life and the challenges it brings to us. I thank you for NOT grouping us under an umbrella description of selfish.

ScarletLSG
ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2004 at 4:10pm
Mike

Your comment:

>>gives them the right to take a job far away and then complain that because of that<<

indicates that a military spouse has an abundance of job opportunities at every new place they are stationed. You have NO idea how hard it is get a new job every 18 months or so. A military spouse, has to be VERY circumspect with his/her situation. Often when an interviewing authority figures out that a job candidate is a military spouse, that candidate is disqualified. So, you might say, that the spouse shouldn't disclose that they are in fact military. Well, the resume speaks for itself ... and if it doesn't, then the references DO. MANY times a military spouse takes a job in a different occupation at every transition ... JUST to get a job. The WHERE is generally the last consideration for the spouse in determining whether to accept a position or not.

I don't complain about moving often or my job locale. I do make the best of sometimes difficult situations. Sorry if you perceive that as selfish. You have obviously discounted the fact that I telecommute two days per week, drive outside of normal commuting hours on most other days and when I'm unable to do those, make every bloody attempt to pick up slugs for the remainder.

ScarletLSG
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2004 at 8:53am
I saw this peculiar vanity plate this morning. It read: "QTNHOV."
Stuck2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2004 at 9:42am
quote:
Originally posted by emancilla
[br]I saw this peculiar vanity plate this morning. It read: "QTNHOV."

What type of car was it on?
Stuck2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2004 at 9:43am
>>Don't ever slam military families. They put up with enough grief and hardship. And they belong and contribute to whatever community they set down in -- even for the short period of time they are allowed to stay.<<

Former army brat [:D] Didn't know where VA was until we landed here and stayed.[:(]
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2004 at 10:04am
quote:
Originally posted by Stuck2
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by emancilla
[br]I saw this peculiar vanity plate this morning. It read: "QTNHOV."

What type of car was it on?

It was a green car. Probably, an Acura or Camry type of car. That's all I could see.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
  Share Topic