Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prince William police breaking up Slugline

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2004 at 10:50pm
Thank you Admin. Excellent work!
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2004 at 7:33pm
Slugger94,
Sorry for the delay in responding to your emails. I've been out of town since last Thursday (last date I updated the website) and have not be able to access my email or the website. Actually, I'm in Texas now (just flew in from Kansas this morning) and will fly back to DC in the morning.

I did mention to PWC via an email today that the 2A might have a few more separate lines which is similiar to one of your options.

I'll update the website as soon as possible.
slugger94 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugger94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2004 at 3:50pm
Delete the http:// for the link to work.
slugger94 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugger94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2004 at 3:44pm
I have submitted a proposal to Admin on April 07. To date, it has not been posted to this site except that "a new option" is mentioned in the home page. I have made several other attempts to contact the Admin but have not received any responses. Since we are running out of time till the split, I went ahead and posted this out on the internet so you may take a look.

As for the suggestion that Option 2 is the most popular, I would like to mention that unless traffic is no longer permitted to enter via the east entrance on the south side parking, this can be a dangerous place for the 14th/L'F line. Also, this Option is a problem for the Navy/L'F riders/drivers (especially the Navy).

The following considerations were made in this new proposal:
1. The Navy/L'F line is placed in the shortest lane as there is
less Navy/L'F traffic relative to 14th and 18th. This lane can hold up to 8 cars at any given time. Navy drivers can also pick up L'F riders if there are no Navy riders. L'F riders can also opt for the 14th line quite easily.

2. 14th St. line is placed in the next lane. This line has high
"moving" traffic. This lane can hold up to 9 cars at any given
time. L'F riders can crossover easily if needed.

3. 18th St. line is placed in the longest lane. Although driver
traffic is high in this line, rider traffic seems to be less predictable.
A slight delay can be expected in the driver line. The lane itself
can hold up to 10 cars at any given time but up to 14 cars can be
in line without impacting the other two lines. See map.

4. For extra safety precaution, drivers should exit the parking
lot as indicated on the map. The Parking Stalls for the Disabled should
not be blocked as these lots do not get filled up as early as the others.

Pros:
1. There will be no slug traffic on the main road.
2. The lines are quite divided and this allows for faster driver/rider matchup.
3. Riders can easily opt for the bus.
4. There will be no more cutting in line (drivers/riders). Riders
are encouraged to actively seek their ride instead of waiting for
"front door service." Those in front of the line should not fault
others if they refuse to walk down the line of cars to ask.
5. No more calling out car destinations and no more "Where is that car going?"
6. Up to 27 cars can be in line without effecting traffic.
7. Up to 6 cars can load up at a time.
8. Slug lines are located where the stalls are filled up early in the morning.

Cons:
Drivers have to circle around the parking lot but this will take
less time than the waiting in the current line or even Option 2.

Overall:
Shorter commute time.

http://www.geocities.com/sluggerninetyfour/horner-west.jpg
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2004 at 12:05pm
Actually, I know of several people who will slug to L'Enfant if they can't get a ride to 14th (they work around 10th and Penn). IMO, I don't think they should put 14th and 18th street lines together. I think that defeats the purpose of keeping the lines short.
jalvarez View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jalvarez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2004 at 9:26am
I'm a rider who slugs from Horner Rd. I just received the notification of impending changes for the pick-up points. I would like to say that the proposed split would and hopefully alleviate the congestion on Telegraph Rd. The only problem I see is that the split which VDOT has proposed is not conducive to the people who slug. As a WNY rider I also use the L’Enfant drivers, where I then Metro to the WNY. I believe many riders also share my opinion here. (14th rider don’t slug to L’Enfant Plaza). The split should be 14th/18th and WNY/ L’Enfant. I myself have never seen any flyers or indications where VDOT has indicated these proposed changes. While it may be a good thing for VDOT to direct the slug pick-up points, but how they are divided makes no sense to the commuters. WNY commuters who slug to L’Enfant also contribute to Metro rider ship, the proposed split will eliminate these group of Metro commuters. Let’s rethink the proposed split, it will save everyone a headache, everyone will be alot happier and commuting will continue without a glitch.

Horner Commuter
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2004 at 11:41am
Arbo,

We are asking about the "new option" they mentioned. Where is it?
JimH View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2004 at 4:33pm
Sorry Arbo, but those are the "old" options. The statement above reads "...a new option was recently submitted". Where is that new option?
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2004 at 3:33pm
The options are at http://www.slug-lines.com/AM_Lines/Horner_Options.pdf
JimH View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2004 at 12:50pm
Has the new option been found yet??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic