Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prince William police breaking up Slugline

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gold89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2004 at 8:34am
I go away for a few months and come back to find someone trying to split my line again. First a couple of suits kick DC out of the old Horner lot, now people are trying to chop up the DC line.

Am I the only person who does not want to SPLIT the line BUT is willing to just RELOCATE the line?

What time does this "problem" occur? There is never more more 4-5 cars in line when I slug. Most of the time there is only 1 or 2.

pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2004 at 9:36am
Sorry, I think the line needs to be split. Not only is the car line too long (and I've seen it overflow onto Telegraph at 7am and at 8am), but the slug line itself is often too long. Merely relocating the line, in my opinion, is not going to alleviate the chaos that breaks out too often at Horner.

JimH View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2004 at 10:03am
I don't mind splitting the line, but I do NOT want to see Navy Yard split from L'Enfant.

BTW, on Option 3, where do the people stand? In the parking lot? There is no "sidewalk" or edge.
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2004 at 10:35am
We know there is no sidewalk. However, the folks from the Pentagon and Cristal City are dealing with the same problem since they split their lines as well. Apparently, they don't care about that. I don't know if this is a serious issue we have to fix, though.
ruynard View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ruynard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2004 at 1:21pm
I am for keeping the L'Enfant and Navy Yard lines together. Do we need to call VDOT or PRTC to voice this opinion?

Or, is some one providing either organization this message chain?

Let's get this fixed Navy Yard L'Enfant riders! See you on the HOV either way.
slugger94 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugger94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2004 at 3:46pm
Issues with the Options provided.

OPTION 1.
This will not resolve the problem of the car staging area. At most the distance between the current location and the new pickup area will hold an extra 6 - 7 cars. The time it talks for driver/rider matchup will not be fast enough to resolve the congestion on the main road.

Currently, the proposed pickup location are marked parking stalls. If the parking stalls are turned into lanes, drivers will be picking up on the wrong side of the road. May be a safety concern as traffic can then come in from the proposed exit. If they aren't then this is not an option.

OPTION 1a.
This option can still cause congestion on the main road.

Navy drivers will not be able to pick up L'Enfant riders if there are no Navy riders. This can cause a backup. Navy riders also cannot ride with L'Enfant drivers to connect to the Metro.

Drivers picking up on the wrong side of the road is a safety concern if the current parking stalls are removed. If they aren't then this is not an option.

OPTION 2
Pickup and driver matchup will be not change, can even potentially be longer as there is no cutting in or cheating (I am not promoting this behavior but it does help speed up the movement of the current line).

Drivers will have to pick up riders on the wrong side of the road where traffic enters the parking lot. Serious safety concern.

Riders cannot line up on the east side as there is another through lane (east-west) which services the parking to the east of that proposed exit lane.

OPTION 2a
Same concerns as OPTION 2 plus problems for the Navy riders.

OPTION 3.
Again, Navy and L'Enfant lines should be kept together for the above reasons.

The proposed exit for both the north and south lots are actually adjacent to each other. With the heavy flow of vehicles coming out of the south lot, drivers coming from Telegraph Rd. going to East Horner Lot to park will be driving on the left lane making it even more difficult for drivers to exit the north lot and making that left turn. Also, in the north lot, the short distance between the rider line and the curb, plus drivers waiting for the opportunity to make that left turn can potentially slow this line down significantly.

Again, drivers in the south lot picking up on the wrong side of the road.

OPTION R1.
South side. Drivers picking up on the wrong side. Serious safety concern.

Other concerns include that of drivers coming out of the north lot. See concerns in OPTION 3.

OPTION R2.
South parking no concern.

North parking exit is adjacent to south parking. See concern in OPTION 3 about adjacent exits and making that left turn by drivers coming out the north parking.

OPTION R3.
North parking - Even greater concern for drivers coming out of the North Parking to make that left turn. Now we have to add the slug traffic coming out of the south parking. Potential for accidents.

Hate to be the one to point out the negatives but better to do it now than learning it the hard way.

Gold89 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gold89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2004 at 7:12am
From Slug-Lines home page
Horner Road Lines Split - The 21st of April has been set for the dividing of the slug lines in the Horner Road commuter lot. Option 2A appears to have the most support but a new option was recently submitted. Please leave feedback on the message board so we (you really) can make the final decision on which option is best!

Has anyone seen this "new" option? I could not find anything.
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2004 at 8:29am
I couldn't find this new option they're talking about either.
JimH View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2004 at 12:50pm
Has the new option been found yet??
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2004 at 3:33pm
The options are at http://www.slug-lines.com/AM_Lines/Horner_Options.pdf
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
  Share Topic