Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWashington Post reporter seeks help on hybrids

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2004 at 8:26am
The hybrid is primarily used to access the HOV lanes. Most owners, as indicated, buy them just for that. Incentives to cause congestion. What a great system!
k2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2004 at 12:59pm
quote:
Originally posted by vabigblue
[br]K2 - where are you slugging to and from. 2 to 2.5 hours each way???? You must be from Richmond! [?]

I live 30 miles from Richmond. 125 miles from DC. However, I have rented a room near DC so I can make the long trip just once or twice a week, in my hybrid. I think I am helping to reduce congestion a bit, by driving up 95 on Monday (or Tuesday) and back on Thursday.

I often wait until 8pm to drive home, so 395 and 95 are much faster at that time. Still, the drive is often 2.5 hours due to rubbernecking or other congestion.
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2004 at 1:08pm
I don't know how you can commute, even twice a week, from where you live. I live in Woodbridge, and I considered this area too far from DC.
motownldy199 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motownldy199 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2004 at 1:11pm
quote:
Originally posted by vabigblue
[br]The hybrid is primarily used to access the HOV lanes. Most owners, as indicated, buy them just for that. Incentives to cause congestion. What a great system!

Then why did the state adopt the system in the first place? Obviously they didn't do it to legislate congestion.
LisaDeanna View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaDeanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2004 at 1:26pm
Ok - so there are cars out there that have better emissions than some of the Hybrids. All the same, Hybrids' emissions are VERY low. Now lets talk gas milage. Hard to beat a hybrid on gas milage.

Face it: these cars are low emissions AND they get the best gas milage. And as Motown pointed out, those are two things that the legislature appears to value.

Fighting congestion is obviously important, but it seems like its the ONLY thing that some of the posters here care about. Don't you care about using less fuel? Or is that just a convenient by-product of slugging to get to work faster?
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motownldy199 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2004 at 1:41pm
quote:
Originally posted by LisaDeanna
[br]Ok - so there are cars out there that have better emissions than some of the Hybrids. All the same, Hybrids' emissions are VERY low. Now lets talk gas milage. Hard to beat a hybrid on gas milage.

Face it: these cars are low emissions AND they get the best gas milage. And as Motown pointed out, those are two things that the legislature appears to value.

Fighting congestion is obviously important, but it seems like its the ONLY thing that some of the posters here care about. Don't you care about using less fuel? Or is that just a convenient by-product of slugging to get to work faster?

I think we all need to get real here. I kind of get insulted when I'm told that the only reason that I bought my prius was to ride the HOV-1. Yeah, that's why it's taken me so long to get off my duff and file for the CF plates. Some of us do care about the environment. And we can all fight congestion by taking the excellent public transporation in most of this area (VRE is super, BTW). While I think that slugging is great, and that fighting congestion is great, how many people are in this fight to come to an equitable solution to traffic in this area...and how many people are in it for the free rides?

C'mon. If we move to HOT lanes, are you all going to pile into the trains, commuter busses, etc....or are you going to drive? I'm dying to know.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2004 at 1:49pm
Can anyone post Virginia's official mission statement or purpose for HOV lanes? Is there one? I think we all need to see it. Just might clear things up a bit. [;)]
JiggaJynx View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2004 at 2:04pm
quote:
Originally posted by motownldy199
C'mon. If we move to HOT lanes, are you all going to pile into the trains, commuter busses, etc....or are you going to drive? I'm dying to know.

Assuming you're truly curious [8D], I will probably go back to riding the bus when the most successful slugging system in the country dies because cheap tolls turn the "fast" HOV lanes into a near parking lot like the "regular" lanes. At least I can read or sleep when my commute time doubles.
LisaDeanna View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaDeanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2004 at 2:13pm
quote:

All I can say is the HOT lanes would really stink. Ugh. Nothing makes me cringe more than the idea of wealthier people being able to get to work faster simply because they can afford it. And lets face it, a LOT of people in this area will be able to afford it. Add to that the erosion of slugging and other good commuting options that would go along with it.

I wish I could go to the hearing tonight to express but I have to work late. [:(]

Anyone know if there is a website where a person can offer comments on the system? I'd love to add my 2 cents.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motownldy199 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2004 at 3:02pm
quote:
Originally posted by JiggaJynx
[br]
quote:

Assuming you're truly curious [8D], I will probably go back to riding the bus when the most successful slugging system in the country dies because cheap tolls turn the "fast" HOV lanes into a near parking lot like the "regular" lanes. At least I can read or sleep when my commute time doubles.

I am truly curious. I think that HOT lanes stink, but as long as Virginians keep voting down tax increases for transportation, what the heck else is Richmond supposed to do? It leaves states and municipalities open to profitmaking sharks who have 'bright" ideas such as HOT lanes.

As for me, when the roads get too crowded I'll probably park and go Metro/VRE. Unfortunately, you'd think they'd come up with a suburb to suburb option for folks like me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>
  Share Topic