Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWashington Post reporter seeks help on hybrids

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 14>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motownldy199 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2004 at 10:00pm
Well, I guess other municipalities are becoming misguided. San Jose is granting hybrid drivers free parking. And Sacramento, CA is considering letting hybrids use the carpool lanes.
Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2004 at 10:20pm
quote:
Originally posted by motownldy199
[br]Well, I guess other municipalities are becoming misguided. San Jose is granting hybrid drivers free parking. And Sacramento, CA is considering letting hybrids use the carpool lanes.

If that's how San Jose wants to promote hybrid use, I see nothing wrong with it. They do get a marginally better mileage and are ideal for inner city stop and go use. As long as they don't pass it off as a clean fuel initiative, or if they do they better include the gasoline vehicles that are just as clean as the hybrids. Can you direct me to more info on this program?
The Sacramento carpool thing will never happen. The State of California is very aware of the Federal law about what can and can't get an HOV exemption. Their state legislation for HOV exemptions was written to meet federal law.
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/faq.htm
There was talk of changing the Federal law, but I don't think there is enough support for that. Especially, since there is no emission benefit and lowering standards makes no sense.
JiggaJynx View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2004 at 9:19am
quote:
Originally posted by RoadRunner
Slugging is faster than VRE [and FREE] if you are coming from Woodbridge and points south to the Pentagon. It all depends on where you are going.

Agree. Going to Union Station on VRE is no time saver when the rest of the commute involves two Metro trains and a switch at Metro Center. Also, the last time I saw a VRE train go by near Lorton, it looked packed. Are there seats still available in Woodbridge?
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2004 at 12:13pm
quote:
Originally posted by RoadRunner
[br]If we can increase the number of sluggers (people who pick up slugs and people who ride with 2 others) in the HOV, not only do we decrease the amount of gas used, we provide a cleaner atmosphere, and get this, the HOV lanes will be at near full capacity. What does this do for HOT lanes? Essentially, it kills the concept because once the lanes reach capacity, they can't let anymore HOT vehicles on.

Let's all vote to slug. Our voices and actions will throw some cold water on the HOT lanes.

Agree wholeheartedly. I VOTE TO SLUG!
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2004 at 12:45pm
I VOTE FOR SLUG!
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2004 at 12:46pm
SLUGGING! Sorry.
Stuck2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2004 at 1:24pm
My mileage is a lot better than my other Civic. Went for a road trip this weekend 55 mi/gal. I don't think you can say anything over the Focus could get that. I fill up every other week (and my tank isn't completely angry).

Now, I do feel like I would like to pick up "riders." I have been a carpooler in the past. I think it's beneficial for hybrid riders to pick of slugs. Yes, I do feel guilty for only being two instead of three. And I have not recommended a hybrid to other sluggers I know. They are not the most convenient car to have -- oil changes cost 2x as much (synthetic oil); tires aren't as good in snow; maintenance more expensive. And they are more expensive than the average car.

I'd like to see a campaign to extend HOV until 6:30. I think Congress and Richmond are stupid not to consider this now that the only affordable housing is past Woodbridge and everyone seems to be moving further out from DC.
motownldy199 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motownldy199 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2004 at 1:48pm
quote:
Originally posted by Stuck2
[br]My mileage is a lot better than my other Civic. Went for a road trip this weekend 55 mi/gal. I don't think you can say anything over the Focus could get that. I fill up every other week (and my tank isn't completely angry).

Now, I do feel like I would like to pick up "riders." I have been a carpooler in the past. I think it's beneficial for hybrid riders to pick of slugs. Yes, I do feel guilty for only being two instead of three. And I have not recommended a hybrid to other sluggers I know. They are not the most convenient car to have -- oil changes cost 2x as much (synthetic oil); tires aren't as good in snow; maintenance more expensive. And they are more expensive than the average car.

I'd like to see a campaign to extend HOV until 6:30. I think Congress and Richmond are stupid not to consider this now that the only affordable housing is past Woodbridge and everyone seems to be moving further out from DC.

You should have gotten a Toyota...our maintenance and oil changes under warranty is free. Our battery is waranteed for 80,000 miles.
motownldy199 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motownldy199 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2004 at 1:50pm
quote:
Originally posted by Wagonman
[br]
quote:
[br]Well, I guess other municipalities are becoming misguided. San Jose is granting hybrid drivers free parking. And Sacramento, CA is considering letting hybrids use the carpool lanes.

If that's how San Jose wants to promote hybrid use, I see nothing wrong with it. They do get a marginally better mileage and are ideal for inner city stop and go use. As long as they don't pass it off as a clean fuel initiative, or if they do they better include the gasoline vehicles that are just as clean as the hybrids. Can you direct me to more info on this program?
The Sacramento carpool thing will never happen. The State of California is very aware of the Federal law about what can and can't get an HOV exemption. Their state legislation for HOV exemptions was written to meet federal law.
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/faq.htm
There was talk of changing the Federal law, but I don't think there is enough support for that. Especially, since there is no emission benefit and lowering standards makes no sense.

Have you heard about AB 2628?

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/asm/ab_2601-2650/ab_2628_cfa_20040420_151547_asm_comm.html

SUMMARY

This bill allows the driver of an eligible hybrid vehicle that
meets California's "advanced technology partial zero-emission
vehicle" (AT PZEV) standard to use the high-occupancy vehicle
(HOV or carpool) lanes on highways and toll bridges, even though
minimum occupancy requirements for use of those lanes are not met. Specifically, this bill:

1)Requires the AT PZEV to also attain a 45 miles per gallon or
better fuel economy rating to qualify for HOV lane use.

there's more at the site...
Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2004 at 2:14pm
quote:
[br]
Have you heard about AB 2628?

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/asm/ab_2601-2650/ab_2628_cfa_20040420_151547_asm_comm.html

SUMMARY

This bill allows the driver of an eligible hybrid vehicle that
meets California's "advanced technology partial zero-emission
vehicle" (AT PZEV) standard to use the high-occupancy vehicle
(HOV or carpool) lanes on highways and toll bridges, even though
minimum occupancy requirements for use of those lanes are not met. Specifically, this bill:

1)Requires the AT PZEV to also attain a 45 miles per gallon or
better fuel economy rating to qualify for HOV lane use.

there's more at the site...

That bill makes more sense than Virginia's law, but it still violates federal law.
There is one big flaw in that bill. It restricts the exemption to "AT-PZEVs". AT-PZEVs and PZEVs are the same emission requirements, but AT-PZEVs require an alternative technology such as hybrid, or a different fuel. I think that the whole AT-PZEV is an un-needed classification. The bill should be written for all PZEVs that get 45 MPG. If a conventional gasoline car get the same emissions as the hybrid and can get 45MPG it deserves the exemption too. Granted, I don't think there are any gasoline cars that can meet this standard yet, but it would give the auto manufacturers something to aim for. It really is bad policy to give incentives to different technologies just because they are different technologies. The incentives should be given based on actual improvements.

Another thing is that once the EPA gets a test that measures the true mileage of the hybrids, some of the current ones probably won't meet that standard of 45MPG. Too bad it will probably take the EPA a decade to figure out more real-world test.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 14>
  Share Topic