Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forgive me, but I must vent

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjmahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2004 at 1:00pm
quote:
Originally posted by ktzmom
[br]I have to laugh because I know EXACTLY about whom you are speaking! The Hispanic lady has ridden with me one time and the lady from the backseat has ridden with me several times. However, they aren't friends -- they met in my CAR! And yes, all of a sudden the Hispanic lady started talking about her personal business, all about her ex, etc. I just think she is very lonely, going through a hard time, etc., and since she was with two women, needed to talk to someone. I was able to offer her some perspective as I had been in her situation and I honestly think she's a still a little shell-shocked and needed some sympathy. FYI -- I was informed that since her husband cheated on her, she was going to steal someone ELSE's husband in retaliation! (Of course I told her that would be wrong!)

HOWEVER, you would have been well within your rights to stop her as soon as she started cursing. A simple, "Excuse me, but I don't allow cursing in my car!" would have done it.

Merri Jo Outland
202-833-5001

It's sure is a small world in the slugging arena isn't it. That's funny that you had them in your car too. [:D]

"The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." I Corinthians 1:18
SlugBuddy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugBuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2004 at 3:26pm
The best thing to do is not to pick them up again. Driver's have that right just as riders do. You could have also asked them to speak softer and not to curse but you cannot expect people not to talk amongst themselves.
Mrs.KLB View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs.KLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2004 at 4:48pm
Yes jjmahoney you most certainly should have said something that is absolutely rediculous to get into someones car that you don't know and talk like that, I wish it had been me, I have no problems telling people what's on my mind. I had a lady in my car last week drinking a soda in my car, and I kindly let her know I do not allow eating or drinking in my car from anyone.Also I correct the cell phone talkers that get in the car and want to talk all the way to Horner Road, when they get loud with their calls I kindly let them know to bring it down a peg and I don't care how you take it, you know I have been doing this slug system for 7 years now and it has really changed a lot over the years, I don't know where some of these people are coming from, but you know what I am time enough for them! HELLO!!!!

Mrs. B
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2004 at 7:42am
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs.KLB
[br]Yes jjmahoney you most certainly should have said something that is absolutely rediculous to get into someones car that you don't know and talk like that, I wish it had been me, I have no problems telling people what's on my mind. I had a lady in my car last week drinking a soda in my car, and I kindly let her know I do not allow eating or drinking in my car from anyone.Also I correct the cell phone talkers that get in the car and want to talk all the way to Horner Road, when they get loud with their calls I kindly let them know to bring it down a peg and I don't care how you take it, you know I have been doing this slug system for 7 years now and it has really changed a lot over the years, I don't know where some of these people are coming from, but you know what I am time enough for them! HELLO!!!!

Mrs. B

HELLO! That's the approach you have to take "Mrs. KLB". Your car, your rules, no exceptions! HELLO!
Johnny Cakes View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Cakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2004 at 7:47am
Easily solved:

"Excuse me, I really need to listen to the radio and think through some things."

[If conversation continues, repeat as necessary]

"I need to think through some things, so I'd rather there be no talking in my car, please"
Mrs.KLB View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs.KLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2004 at 3:14pm
So I guess someone using profanity, and talking extremely loud in ones vehicle is okay with you from the sarcasism you are expressing?[;)] He turned up the radio to drown out the loud profanity, I on the other hand do not turn up my radio to drown out the loud cell phone users I just tell them to KNOCK IT OFF,I feel if you do not have the common sense it takes,to know that there are some things you just don't do any someone elses car,then it is up to the owner of the said vehicle to give them that COMMON SENSE!I guess you would also find nothing wrong with rolling down someone's back window yelling at some friends standing across the street[:)] yeah I had one of those too, and guess what I put her in her place[8D] BAD ME, SHAME ON ME FOR DEMANDING RESPECT IN MY CAR!

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Cakes
[br]Easily solved:

"Excuse me, I really need to listen to the radio and think through some things."

[If conversation continues, repeat as necessary]

"I need to think through some things, so I'd rather there be no talking in my car, please"

Mrs. B
FromWoodbridge View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FromWoodbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2004 at 3:42pm
So what are the best ways to tell someone to keep it down? This isn't a sarcastic post - I really am serious.

For example, if I'm driving and someone just has to have the long conversation about who said what and what food was served and who wore what (I overheard this as a slug), do you nicely say, "Please keep the conversation to a minimum." I honestly don't know how I'd say it. I'm all for someone making a quick, "Hi there. I'm on my way. I should be there in such and such time." call, but not the looooonggg inane or even business calls.
Johnny Cakes View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Cakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2004 at 9:49am
I'm not sure how my message could be construed as sarcastic. The driver turns to the slug, and politely states:

Or some similiar variation. Problem solved.
Dhacim View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2004 at 1:59pm
It is appropriate to ask slugs to stop talking.....I mostly play the part of rider, and realize it's the driver's car and would have no problem if someone told me to shut up. Then Again I am quiet...but none the less....
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2004 at 7:53am
I think most drivers don't want to tell riders to "shut-up". I mean, anyway you say it can be construed as being offensive. Even though the vehicle belongs to a driver, they probably shy away from saying or doing anything to annoy the rider. That's probably why so many of these posts ask, "how do you say it" or "what is the best way to tell someone to.......".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic