Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Left-lane drivers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2004 at 12:27pm
I've been in the same situation as you Cedarcitynative several times. I don't get it. You cannot stay in the left lane mirroring the car in the right lane if you see a faster car behind you. Common sense and courtesy dictates you should move over to let the faster car pass you.
Some people still don't get it.
carleric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carleric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2004 at 12:30pm
I'm pretty good about getting over. But the thing is: I'll get over when there's room. Tailgating me will do you no good if there's not room for me to (safely) switch lanes. Patience from EVERYBODY is required.

Eric
cedarcitynative View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cedarcitynative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2004 at 12:38pm
not so much a matter of my having patience as their having common sense. it's 9pm, the highway is wide-open, you're driving well under the posted speed limit, and yet you still want to "ride" the left lane. Speed up to 55mph and MOVE OVER -- no harm done.
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2004 at 12:53pm
Exactly, I totally agree.
carleric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carleric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2004 at 1:07pm
oh, agreed as well. I should have been more specific: when I'm traveling along at 65 or 70 and someone comes up behind me, flashing lights and/or tailgating I'll get over when I can - and I will not speed up to 75 or 80. I'm not one of those 55 MPH drivers who won't get over.

Eric
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2004 at 2:38pm
Part of the problem is the left lane exits and right lane merge (headed south) draws drivers into the left lane. Speed is not the only issue, the left lane is for passing or exiting left. If you are not passing or exiting, please get over into the right lane.

Another part of the problem is the left lane cruisers (not passing or exiting). They should be ticketed!

The final part of the problem is reckless and agressive drivers who think that they have the right to drive any way they please. I'll get out of the way if I see them coming up behind me even if I'm passing or exiting (at 75mph). Problem is at high speeds they come up fast. Sorry, but 80, 90+ mph is dangerous in any lane to all drivers. Let's all be safe, smart drivers and not sorry!
SlugBuddy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugBuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2004 at 3:13pm
The law states that the left lane is for passing only. If someone approaches you and wants to pass, you need to safely get over to the right and let them pass. It doesn't matter what speed they are traveling. Interesting food for thought is that in Germany on the Autoban??? they go much faster than we do and they have far fewer accidents. The reason for this is that the abide by the left lane is for passing law. You only get in that lane to pass, that is why we have so many accidents because people are having to switch lanes to go around left lane hogs. Not to mention the traffic congestion left lane hogs cause!!
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2004 at 3:25pm
You're right slugbuddy. The super-highways in Germany don't have a speed limit. You can travel at any speed in the right lane. Whoever, you only use the left lane for passing only. Once you pass, you immediately have to move over the right lane or you'll get a ticket. They have fewer car accidents but when they have one, the scene is not pretty at all.
cedarcitynative View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cedarcitynative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2004 at 3:32pm
Good replies, everyone. Bottom line, if you're not passing someone, then watch your mirrors, remember your manners, keep your temper in check and STAY OUT OF THE LEFT LANE!
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2004 at 3:46pm
You know, I believe some drivers just don't know the rules of driving. I've ridden with folks who drive the whole way in the left lane. You can tell people behind are fed up because when they eventually pass on the right, they will give "that look". I really think some lack real driving knowledge and rules of the road.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic