Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crowded HOV Lanes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
avalanche22 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalanche22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 4:06pm
Yes that is correct. wdossel is right. 20 + is reckless driving. The police also have the option of towing your car if you are caught going faster.
FromWoodbridge View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FromWoodbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 3:17pm
The lady I rode with today from Horner Rd. was going too slow in the left lane, and got upset when people were practically cutting her off to pass her. She was annoying the hell out of me because the left lane is the fast lane! She was barely going over 65, but as an instructor told me in driving school (I like to go fast!), as a driver, you aren't the cop. If you don't like people going fast, then get off the road. But people going too slow when traffic is whizzing by cause problems.
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2004 at 4:04pm
I don't think 80 mph is per se unsafe on the express lanes; I don't think 65 mph is the maximum safe speed there either. I think it depends on the time and conditions. If I leave work at 7:30 PM, I often find that 81 mph (i.e., 130 km/h) is a good cruising speed--but I don't try to force it, either, if traffic won't allow that speed. People exceeding the speed limit are not necessarily the problem. The people who weave in and out to try to force others to accommodate their preferred speed are the real problem. Like I read in a book once--if the right lane is full of people doing 65, and the left lane is full of people doing 80, you will not be able to do 73. Either slow down and move right, or speed up and move left.

There are places I've driven in Virginia (mainly Southside) where 90 mph is not unreasonable if the weather is nice. There are also places where I won't go above 30 mph (like my neighborhood, notwithstanding people who try to go 50 there).
glacier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glacier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2004 at 3:03pm
Scarlett,

Please excuse my ignorance, I could not figure it out from your prior posts, but do you pick-up slugs? Thanks.

Cheers,

Glacier
ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2004 at 2:09pm
AND STILL ... nothing I can do about it but follow the law ... with my dirty little hybrid.

quote:
Originally posted by Wagonman
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by ScarletLSG
[br]Harlean,

While MANY people don't agree with the hybrid laws, it was the people of Virginia who elected the officials that made the laws.

See ya'll in the morning.

ScarletLSG

Too bad the people that got elected can't follow Federal law.... Instead they pass these stupid exemption laws for cars that don't deserve an exemption under Federal law because they are too dirty.

ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2004 at 2:07pm
EXACTLY!!! Maybe I'm in the minority ... but if I'm driving 60+ mph on ANY road in the Washington DC metro area - 95N/S - Beltway - 66E/W, I consider myself in HOG HEAVEN. 60 mph means that I get to or from work in just under an hour!! Whooooooo hooooooooo. When I see someone SCREAM past me going 75-80 mph ... I try to predict how soon an accident will happen BECAUSE of that yahoo and how long it will end up taking me to get home BECAUSE of that accident!!!

ScarletLSG

quote:
Originally posted by argentinian_belle
[br]for those of you who have been driving over 70 mph... can you tell me where this I-95 is??? the drivers on the I-95 that I been on haven't been moving over 50 mph in a looooong time.

jenna703 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenna703 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2004 at 2:02pm
quote:
Originally posted by vabigblue
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by jenna703
[br]Actually, I think HOV lanes on 95 are 70mph...so, we should at least go 75-80...that's what I did today! I picked up 3 people and my first experience picking up sluggers was great. Thank you nice, quiet and helpful sluggers! I hope you enjoyed listening to the smooth tones of wtopnews.

Originally posted by ScarletLSG
[br]I'm one of those Hybrid drivers ... I drive a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid. WOULDN'T I LOVE TO SLUG. My commute is from Quantico to Dulles ... certainly not condusive to ANY public transportation or slugging. My Hybrid FLIES though ... and most of the 2003s and 2004s are the same. I can easily accelerate to 80, if I choose. Though I'm wondering why you are upset about people driving 70 ... when the speed limit is 65 or less?

[/quote

Come on, you've got to be joking. The limit on any stretch of 95/HOV is 65. If you continue to drive 75 and 80, you're putting a lot of people at risk. Think safety first.

going 75 at 65? I don't think that is reckless...I don't weave through lanes...I just cruise. Please can be driving wacko at 65 or lower...I think it depends on the situation.
wdossel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2004 at 1:44pm
quote:
Originally posted by glacier
[br]Ever seen a circa 1970's American sled navigate even moderate turns over 35? Not a pretty site and there a still a few on the roads.

But they shur do lok peerty.

Cheers,

Glacier

Been there, done that and it wasn't pretty [:0] -- but boy I sure learned about understeer* ('70 Mustang @ 17 years of age, a long time ago).

- Will

* For the NA$CAR fans in the audience, understeer = push...
glacier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glacier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2004 at 1:34pm
Ever seen a circa 1970's American sled navigate even moderate turns over 35? Not a pretty site and there a still a few on the roads.

But they shur do lok peerty.

Cheers,

Glacier
argentinian_belle View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote argentinian_belle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2004 at 1:32pm
for those of you who have been driving over 70 mph... can you tell me where this I-95 is??? the drivers on the I-95 that I been on haven't been moving over 50 mph in a looooong time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic