Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crowded HOV Lanes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max_28756 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2004 at 11:27am
So does anyone think the HOV lanes will have any violators in them today? It being the Memorial Day weekend, I'm sure everyone will obey the rules and sail down the highway. I hear there MIGHT be a traffic backup. Any truth to this rumor? Yes, I'm joking. Have a great weekend and I hope you have some OTHER way to get home today. Good luck!
jenna703 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenna703 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2004 at 1:17pm
Actually, I think HOV lanes on 95 are 70mph...so, we should at least go 75-80...that's what I did today! I picked up 3 people and my first experience picking up sluggers was great. Thank you nice, quiet and helpful sluggers! I hope you enjoyed listening to the smooth tones of wtopnews.

quote:
Originally posted by ScarletLSG
[br]I'm one of those Hybrid drivers ... I drive a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid. WOULDN'T I LOVE TO SLUG. My commute is from Quantico to Dulles ... certainly not condusive to ANY public transportation or slugging. My Hybrid FLIES though ... and most of the 2003s and 2004s are the same. I can easily accelerate to 80, if I choose. Though I'm wondering why you are upset about people driving 70 ... when the speed limit is 65 or less?

slugguru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugguru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2004 at 1:22pm
Thank goodness im not the only one who noticed Hybrids poking along the express lanes............... response to the left lane exits/left lane drivers.... just alot of inexperienced drivers taking long drawn left exits instead of just slowing down briefly before the exit instead of a mile or two before getting over............You dont have to come to a complete stop just to make a left exit, given the fact you still have plenty of road left to slow down once you exit!
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2004 at 3:34pm
quote:
Originally posted by slugguru
[br]Thank goodness im not the only one who noticed Hybrids poking along the express lanes............... response to the left lane exits/left lane drivers.... just alot of inexperienced drivers taking long drawn left exits instead of just slowing down briefly before the exit instead of a mile or two before getting over............You dont have to come to a complete stop just to make a left exit, given the fact you still have plenty of road left to slow down once you exit!

Maybe they're just trying to go easy on the brakes, reducing wear and tear. Which is more hazardous: (1) having to sit behind someone doing the speed limit as they get ready for the left exit, (2) having someone jam on their brakes as they start to get off on a left exit with little to no ramp space, or (3) having someone wait in the right/center lane until the last minute for the left exit and jump in front of someone doing 70-80?

I think I'd rather deal with the extra time for the safer approach.
JiggaJynx View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2004 at 3:56pm
ronin,

A calming message
the masterless Samurai
whispers to us all

(Yes, I know Sa-mu-ra-i is 4 syllables, not 3, in Japanese--a little poetic license [:D])
Luvmyhybrid View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvmyhybrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2004 at 11:22am
Hybrids are at the heart of some real frustration on this site. Of course, LE cars are running a close 2nd, and I'm wondering who would be in 3rd place if someone's actually keeping count. To me, the blame can't be placed on any ONE thing - there are slow drivers, they drive Hybrids, SUV's, Mercedes, Camry's and motorcyles. Consider the driver with 3 riders and going 55 mph in the left lane (oh by the way, she's also on her cellphone); see the 55-passenger bus w/ absolutely NO riders in the bus; and of course, there's the infamous line of Hybrids stacked up with one driver. Are all of these the sole-root of the problem? No, but added together, it can cause slowdowns. I've never seen so much complaining from people in my life. Refocus your energy, figure out how to make things better, and make some changes. If you drive slow in the left lane MOVE OVER! If you think you VIOLATE the cell-phone talking rule HANG UP! If your radio's too loud TURN IT DOWN! If you think writing to your legislators to change the HOV rules will work, then by God, WRITE A LETTER - just please quit griping! As parents we wouldn't allow our children ro complain as much as some of you do. I've noticed that several people have attempted to offer positive solutions, then get run-over by message posters that just want to complain. Go ahead, let me have it - I figured I've angered more then a few of you by now...

JiggaJynx View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2004 at 3:41pm
It's the middle of a three-day weekend...relax! LMH, you seem to be very unhappy on this forum, to the point of telling everyone, in effect, to shut up. Sorry, but commuting is a frustrating task, and this message board is a safe place to vent. And just because "...we wouldn't allow our children [t]o complain as much as some of you do," doesn't mean they don't complain to people who will listen to them vent about their frustrations.
ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2004 at 7:03pm
Harlean,

I don't disagree that if someone is poking in the left lane, they should get over. While my care EASILY accelerates to 80 mph, I tend to drive the speed limit for a couple of reasons ... it is the law ... AND ... if drive 80 mph, I get about 42mpg vs 50+mpg. I'm a military wife who didn't CHOOSE to move here. We are an enlisted family that doesn't get NEAR enough housing money to live ANYWHERE north of Quantico, so we live on base. All of the software engineering IT jobs are in the Reston/Dulles area ... buying hybrid allows my family to live in a modicum of comfort, while reducing my commute to < 2 hours.

While MANY people don't agree with the hybrid laws, it was the people of Virginia who elected the officials that made the laws. I don't even have the ability to vote in this state ... what I CAN do is follow the laws, which include speed limits AND fortunately for my family, use the HOV lanes.

I'll be sure to stay out of the left lane though ... unless I'm passing a slower hybrid (or tourist bus, or city bus, or carpool/slug car) ... tee hee.

See ya'll in the morning.

ScarletLSG

quote:
Originally posted by harlean
[br]Hybrids that go 65 and below, and equally slow moving other vehicles should always stay in the right lane. It's common courtesy. Either that or stop stalling traffic and hurry up.

ScarletLSG, since you say you "can easily accelerate to 80, if I choose," pray tell why don't you? Other than gas consumption, is there another viable reason why Hybrids don't like to speed up? I have been asking myself that question since I saw my first Hybrid stalling traffic on the HOVs.

I agree with FromWoodbridge, all traffic on the left lane should go at least 75. And if a slow poke from the right lane moves to the left lane - speed up and don't hold up traffic.

I also agree with SlugginFool, there ARE "too many Hybrids out there." They are not welcome on the HOV lanes and should not be allowed use them - unless they fulfill the 3 persons per vehicle rule AND don't impede the flow of traffic. Otherwise they can go to the regular lanes that move just as slow.

vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2004 at 7:40am
quote:
Originally posted by jenna703
[br]Actually, I think HOV lanes on 95 are 70mph...so, we should at least go 75-80...that's what I did today! I picked up 3 people and my first experience picking up sluggers was great. Thank you nice, quiet and helpful sluggers! I hope you enjoyed listening to the smooth tones of wtopnews.

[br]I'm one of those Hybrid drivers ... I drive a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid. WOULDN'T I LOVE TO SLUG. My commute is from Quantico to Dulles ... certainly not condusive to ANY public transportation or slugging. My Hybrid FLIES though ... and most of the 2003s and 2004s are the same. I can easily accelerate to 80, if I choose. Though I'm wondering why you are upset about people driving 70 ... when the speed limit is 65 or less?

[/quote

Come on, you've got to be joking. The limit on any stretch of 95/HOV is 65. If you continue to drive 75 and 80, you're putting a lot of people at risk. Think safety first.
Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2004 at 8:18am
quote:
[br]Harlean,

While MANY people don't agree with the hybrid laws, it was the people of Virginia who elected the officials that made the laws.

See ya'll in the morning.

ScarletLSG

Too bad the people that got elected can't follow Federal law.... Instead they pass these stupid exemption laws for cars that don't deserve an exemption under Federal law because they are too dirty.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic