Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crowded HOV Lanes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2004 at 11:06am
VABIGBLUE....

Let's face the facts here. I'm not sure what HOV/95 you have been driving on...but the speed of traffic out there dictates going at least 70....In fact I would say going less than 70 in most stretches puts you in danger. I had a driver pass me in the narrow shoulder on the left hand side of HOV while I was going 75-80. I think that although the speed limit is 65, traffic dictates that you proceed at a faster pace. Question: Why is it that the only cars I see pulled over on HOV are single passenger violaters.....There isn't much speed enforcement going on out there during rush hour...
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2004 at 12:03pm
I understand how fast cars are going, but don't you think 80 in a congested stretch like the HOV lanes is a little excessive? Besides, they aren't there for speed necessarily, reducing congestion is the primary reason. If everyone is going to start driving those speeds, they need to make it an oval.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2004 at 12:15pm
Given the volume of traffic in the HOV, I think the posted speed limit of 65 should be reduced to at most 60. Why? Because it was bumped up during a period when HOV usage was much less and there were fewer safety issues. I have ridden with too many folks who go up to 80 mph and I get really ticked off.

Interestingly, I had a conversation a while back with a woman who got a ticket for going 80 and guess what, it is classified as reckless driving, even though ONLY 15 over the posted limit. Generally reckless driving is 20 or more but there is a thing about 80 that it is always reckless driving.
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2004 at 12:19pm
I think 72 mph is a reasonable speed to drive. 80mph is pushing the envelop a little bit.
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2004 at 12:28pm
If I remember correctly the speed limit in the HOV was 60mph. three years ago. The 65mph. was changed recently.
wdossel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2004 at 12:36pm
quote:
Originally posted by emancilla
[br]If I remember correctly the speed limit in the HOV was 60mph. three years ago. The 65mph. was changed recently.

July'02 IIRC. In VA 20+ over the limit OR 80 mph will garner a reckless driving ticket.

- Will
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2004 at 12:55pm

Reckless driving penalty in VA

I did a search and found out that it is up to 1 yr in jail, $2500, and six points
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2004 at 1:17pm
quote:
Originally posted by wdossel
July'02 IIRC. In VA 20+ over the limit OR 80 mph will garner a reckless driving ticket.

Except in a 35 mph zone, where 60 mph is reckless. Otherwise you have it correct. Not sure why they wrote the statute that way--what makes 35 so special?
argentinian_belle View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote argentinian_belle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2004 at 1:32pm
for those of you who have been driving over 70 mph... can you tell me where this I-95 is??? the drivers on the I-95 that I been on haven't been moving over 50 mph in a looooong time.
glacier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glacier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2004 at 1:34pm
Ever seen a circa 1970's American sled navigate even moderate turns over 35? Not a pretty site and there a still a few on the roads.

But they shur do lok peerty.

Cheers,

Glacier
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic