Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crowded HOV Lanes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 5:30pm
Reckless is not always 20 mph over or 80 mph. In a 35 mph zone, 55 is not enough to be reckless even though it's 20 over--for some reason, in a 35 zone 60 mph is the threshold.

The reckless isn't necessarily automatic even if you do go that fast. I was in court one time and a case ahead of mine involved someone who got a ticket for going 98 mph on I-66 west of Fair Oaks late at night. The judge asked the cop why he didn't write a reckless and the cop said that he didn't feel that the driver was putting himself or anyone else in danger because the road was clear. I say good for that cop!
aceofspade View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 5:42pm
That is a good cop, USA. Honest, too.

I attended a Communications Seminar, and the speaker told us how he wears a clown nose when he drives. He makes it a habit to do so, right after he buckles up. Why? To alleviate road rage, the other drivers see the nose and usually will burst out laughing.

But the question is, I wonder if he can successfully pick up slugs wearing that nose...
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 5:45pm
Speeding is a rampant problem in this area and the type of attitude that we are seeing on this message board really shows what we are dealing with. This shows how bad the disparity is between those who try to be at least close to the limits and those who just think everyone else is and idiot for not going 80. Unbelievable.

One other point. Even if you think it is safe to go 80, it is incredibly rude to subject your slugs to that. How about thinking about someone other than your self for a change.
aceofspade View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 6:29pm
take a deep breath there, and stay to the right.
Luvmyhybrid View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvmyhybrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 8:20pm
quote:
Originally posted by harlean
[br]Hybrids that go 65 and below, and equally slow moving other vehicles should always stay in the right lane. It's common courtesy. Either that or stop stalling traffic and hurry up.

ScarletLSG, since you say you "can easily accelerate to 80, if I choose," pray tell why don't you? Other than gas consumption, is there another viable reason why Hybrids don't like to speed up? I have been asking myself that question since I saw my first Hybrid stalling traffic on the HOVs.

I agree with FromWoodbridge, all traffic on the left lane should go at least 75. And if a slow poke from the right lane moves to the left lane - speed up and don't hold up traffic.

I also agree with SlugginFool, there ARE "too many Hybrids out there." They are not welcome on the HOV lanes and should not be allowed use them - unless they fulfill the 3 persons per vehicle rule AND don't impede the flow of traffic. Otherwise they can go to the regular lanes that move just as slow.

"Poking" in the left lane and blaming it on Hybrids is like saying, the only reason the HOVs are crowded is BECAUSE of Hybrids. Huh, seems to me (us), I notice a gazillion (and yes, I hear that IS in fact a word) different models and makes of vehicles in the HOVs on a daily basis. And, while in your opinion, Hybrids are "not welcome on the HOV", in VA they are legal on the HOV. Spend your time/energy on something that to me sounds more constructive.
Luvmyhybrid View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvmyhybrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 8:26pm
quote:
Originally posted by JiggaJynx
[br]It's the middle of a three-day weekend...relax! LMH, you seem to be very unhappy on this forum, to the point of telling everyone, in effect, to shut up. Sorry, but commuting is a frustrating task, and this message board is a safe place to vent. And just because "...we wouldn't allow our children [t]o complain as much as some of you do," doesn't mean they don't complain to people who will listen to them vent about their frustrations.

No, I certainly am (or was ) very happy during my 4-day weekend, but I appreciate your concern. My point (and apparently, you missed it) was that there's always a POSTIVE for every NEGATIVE...I was having a great time trying to offer up POSITIVE solutions....sorry if you took it as venting frustrations....oh wait, that's what this website is for. [;)]
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 9:06am
Actually, I have to disagree with you USA (unless you are in law enforcement and therefore would know better than I). When I received my ticket, I did a lot of research on VA law, and reckless driving clearly encompassed driving 20mph over the limit. I took a quick look on the VA DMV site and this is what it said: Reckless driving - speeding in excess of 80 mph (11 years); Reckless driving - speeding 20 mph or more above the posted speed limit (11 years). The years are the number of years that the points stay on your record.

You're right that it is the officer's discretion whether they give you reckless or not. I applaud the cop who did not give that person a reckless ticket (although 98 sure sounds too high to me). When I received my ticket for doing 84 in a 65, I was passing someone who continuously kept pace with my car, and I needed to get off at the next exit. When I retained a lawyer, apparently this particular cop is infamous in Stafford County for giving people reckless tickets. I have cops in my immediate family, but traffic cops are not too high in my book.

And sorry to those who disagree with me, but I CAN do 80 safely. I know the limits of my car, I know how to gauge traffic, I know how to leave a safe distance, etc. It is the idiots who go fast when weaving in and out of traffic, cutting people off, who need to be punished.

Oh, and BTW (in response to another post), I am a rider, not a driver. I do not subject anyone to anything.
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 10:26am
I am not in law enforcement, but I can refer you to Va. Code 46.2-862, "Exceeding Speed Limit," which provides as follows. Item (ii) is the one to which I was referring before. You can find the statute at http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-862

"A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit where the applicable speed limit is thirty miles per hour or less, (ii) at a speed of sixty miles per hour or more where the applicable maximum speed limit is thirty-five miles per hour, (iii) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limits where the applicable maximum speed limit is forty miles per hour or more, or (iv) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit."

quote:
Originally posted by pb1974
[br]Actually, I have to disagree with you USA (unless you are in law enforcement and therefore would know better than I). When I received my ticket, I did a lot of research on VA law, and reckless driving clearly encompassed driving 20mph over the limit. I took a quick look on the VA DMV site and this is what it said: Reckless driving - speeding in excess of 80 mph (11 years); Reckless driving - speeding 20 mph or more above the posted speed limit (11 years). The years are the number of years that the points stay on your record.

pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 10:40am
I stand corrected. Thanks for doing the research - I was too lazy. [8)]

quote:
Originally posted by USA
[br]I am not in law enforcement, but I can refer you to Va. Code 46.2-862, "Exceeding Speed Limit," which provides as follows. Item (ii) is the one to which I was referring before. You can find the statute at http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-862

"A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit where the applicable speed limit is thirty miles per hour or less, (ii) at a speed of sixty miles per hour or more where the applicable maximum speed limit is thirty-five miles per hour, (iii) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limits where the applicable maximum speed limit is forty miles per hour or more, or (iv) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit."

quote:
Originally posted by pb1974
[br]Actually, I have to disagree with you USA (unless you are in law enforcement and therefore would know better than I). When I received my ticket, I did a lot of research on VA law, and reckless driving clearly encompassed driving 20mph over the limit. I took a quick look on the VA DMV site and this is what it said: Reckless driving - speeding in excess of 80 mph (11 years); Reckless driving - speeding 20 mph or more above the posted speed limit (11 years). The years are the number of years that the points stay on your record.

ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 11:35am
Glacier,

I HAVE picked up slugs at Pentagon and dropped at PM during my evening commute. Rarely do I pick up in the morning, as I generally don't go IN to work until after 9:00 a.m. Why do you ask?

ScarletLSG

quote:
Originally posted by glacier
[br]Scarlett,

Please excuse my ignorance, I could not figure it out from your prior posts, but do you pick-up slugs? Thanks.

Cheers,

Glacier

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic