Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drivers....why do you pick up slugs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2005 at 10:44am
KC-I find your statement about "paying for convenince" to be wholly inaccurate, at least from my experience. Read my first post on this thread, where I pointed out that my expenses were such that I was not paying any more for any "convenience". If I weren't picking up slugs, I would be in the main lanes using up MORE gasoline. I have to service my car once a year anyway, so the wear and tear is not that visible. Sure, it may age my vehicle faster, but that is from the nature of my commute, and not because I have two additional people with me. Additionally, as previously stated, I am very fortunate to have company paid parking, so that that's no expense to me; just a bennie from working for a pretty cool company. My philosophy is - I'm headed that way anyway, why not grab a couple people and head up there faster. Train won't work, it costs more a month than they gas that I use (well, at least that was true last year, I may need to reassess...haha). So, your theory is not exactly universal. I believe that picking up slugs may actually save me some money in some areas.

Also, while we are discussing selfishness, I'd like to point out that EVERYONE is selfish. Yes, that's right. EVERYONE. We're all looking out for our own best interests. There's a big "Duh." Those who slug/drive slugs don't want Hybrids or HOT lanes. Those with Hybrids could give a crap less about slugging (unless you pick up slugs, which makes you Uber Cool), don't want to see their exemption expire, and certainly don't want HOT lanes. All of the jealous souls that watch us whiz past us them in the main lanes would probably pay a king's ransom to travel like that, so they're ALL about the HOT lanes and to hell with slugs and hybrids alike!! See my point? Of course we are all out for our own interests...we're human, aren't we? The most reasonable thing to do would be do, which I think is what we're ALL trying to do is to come up with a solution that works for everyone, or at least a good majority (you can never please everyone).

The frustrating part about all of this is that we, the commuting society, do not seem to have the support from our respective legislative bodies. These parties seem to be in it for "themselves" (by that, I mean the jurisdiction) in order to receive a profit. There is no municipal control or involvement in slugging, so what do they care? In fact, I heard rumblings a while ago about restricting which commuter parking lot you can park in based on your residence. So if I lived in the city of Fredericksburg and tried to park in a Stafford County lot, I would either be fined, or I would have to pay some toll to use that lot because I didn't live there. Let's all hope that it doesn't get THAT far.

Slugging is a very cool system. Allowing hybrids into the HOV lanes because of their environmental friendliness also seems reasonable in theory, despite claims that the hybrids do not actually save gas on the highway (let's not go into that on this thread). HOT lanes seem reasonable as well. You can argue all sides, pro and cons, to all methods and solutions, but the main problem, the one that REALLY needs tackling is just the capacity in general. There's a bazillion people trying to get to work, how do we make it better for everyone, instead of just thinking self-centrically. I wish I could come up with some solutions, but there are many reasons why I am NOT a civil engineer...LOL. Maybe the rest of you "super smart professionals" could put some brainpower into it.

Just some food for thought.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2005 at 10:49am
--sigh--

What's the point? Why bother? Maybe it would be better just to let the toll roads happen, not to fight them, simply bow my head and acquiesce to the Vast Machine. Let the politicians shirk their responsibility, let them shift taxation to a private company and act like they've done their job. Let the big out-of-state companies come in and eliminate my carpool, force me onto a bus, add an hour of empty time to my commute each day. Why not just sit back and let them screw me. Why not.

When I'm tired of fighting the circular arguments of NoSUV or the nonsensical assertions of KC, when the hopelessness of our situation overtakes my will to oppose, when my head droops with fatigue and my eyes fill with tears, I try to remember that this is just one small battle against the further bifurcation of our society, the growing division between the Haves and the Have Nots.

Selfish pigs like NoSUV and KC are incapable of seeing that an adjustable rate toll road is anti-democratic, that it punishes and excludes, intentionally!, people of low income. KC talks about convenience -- I talk about necessity. Roads are not a convenience, they are at the core of any society -- look at what the Romans used to civilize the Mediterranean.

When you take away the right of certain people to use a piece of publicly funded infrastructure, you are building another division between the people of our country. And make no mistake: the mechanism for setting the toll rates on I95 is predicated on income levels. Rates will be tied to congestion, or need, in other words. The more necessary the lanes, the more they will cost for users. To ensure the value of the system (a speedy trip), the rate will be raised, with the direct intention of discouraging those who cannot afford a higher rate.

There is no arguing with this. You are either a selfish load who doesn't care about the less fortunate, or you are opposed to selling our future for a handful of rice today. Pick a side.
KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2005 at 10:55am
Sponge, I only talked about convenience because that was one of the main reasons people chose to use slugging (according to this informal thread)....regardless of how much money they could be saving if they carpooled/vanpooled.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic