Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Contact your VA delegate & senator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2006 at 8:12am
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV

dark - this is one of those cases where you don't know what you are talking about. Perhaps you should test drive one so you can see for yourself. Look again at your option b. When the hybrid is at constant speed, the battery alternately charges and discharges to maintain that speed - particularly since the acceleration needed is minimal.

Let us know how the test drive goes - looking forward to you verifying the data.

NoSUV - this is one of those cases where you don't know what you are talking about. Please read the technical manuals again and why not take a course in physics 101? And yes, I already did (you have to if you want to be a physicist). Just because you believe that's how it will work in real life doesn't make it so. You are just too willing to believe anything the hybrid makers tell you. And no, I do not plan on taking one for a test drive as I'm happy with my 32 mpg on the highway car. I do however have a friend who's a mechanical engineer with a 2005 Prius who confirms my findings and also is greatly dissappointed with it's advertised mpg on the highways.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2006 at 9:26am
quote:
Originally posted by darkprime
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV

dark - this is one of those cases where you don't know what you are talking about. Perhaps you should test drive one so you can see for yourself. Look again at your option b. When the hybrid is at constant speed, the battery alternately charges and discharges to maintain that speed - particularly since the acceleration needed is minimal.

Let us know how the test drive goes - looking forward to you verifying the data.

NoSUV - this is one of those cases where you don't know what you are talking about. Please read the technical manuals again and why not take a course in physics 101? And yes, I already did (you have to if you want to be a physicist). Just because you believe that's how it will work in real life doesn't make it so. You are just too willing to believe anything the hybrid makers tell you. And no, I do not plan on taking one for a test drive as I'm happy with my 32 mpg on the highway car. I do however have a friend who's a mechanical engineer with a 2005 Prius who confirms my findings and also is greatly dissappointed with it's advertised mpg on the highways.

Ah, dark. Yes indeed - not only are you ignorant, but by choice you stay that way. Does a test drive harm you? The worst that will happen is that you will discover that you are wrong about highway driving BY TRYING IT YOURSELF! Don't go on "belief" - go with experience.

I'm sorry you didn't go to a real school for physics, as well as get practical experience in that field.
darkprime View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2006 at 11:38am
***EDITTED POST****
There's no need for me to stoop to NoSUVs level of insults, lies, arrogance, and ignorance. I'm bigger than that.
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2006 at 4:02pm
I agree with you darprime. All I can say is, if he's married, I pity his wife. And if he isn't, I can understand why.
darkprime View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2006 at 10:39am
Jody or anyone for that matter, do you know of any study that's been done to get an idea of how many SOV Hybrids are actually using HOV? We keep hearing numbers bouncing around and it sure would be helpful if we had some observed and recorded data versus guesswork.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2006 at 10:47am
NoSUV, you again failed to answer my points, and made a false comparison.

My point is that the environmental impacts of even ten thousand hybrids are so miniscule in the scales of global climate change that it is inaccurate for you to make "I'm saving the world, you're not," claims about them.

The hype-breds are just like a lot of other lies fed to us over the boob-tube by clever marketing types.

There is so much of this pseudo-world-saving B.S. that gets passed off as "green" or "eco-friendly" or "ethical". Just this morning my gorge rose in Starbucks as I beheld "Ethos" bottled water, with the idiotic and mis-informing tag-line of "Helping Children Get Clean Water". Oh, for Pete's sake, what a load of feel-good Birkenstockwearinghummus-eatingdreadlockingPatagoniashopping tripe.

Starbucks (whose coffee and scones I consume daily) is giving a whole nickel for every over-priced bottle of this guilt-washing water towards third-world water projects. A total of $10M over five years -- essentially a drop in the fricking bucket of what is needed to have a serious impact on the water/sanitation issues of even a pair of African villages.

Ha! They probably spent that much on their Flash-driven website!

The total environmental impact of this self-congratulatory, self-delusional dismissive and silly first-world arrogance is not nil -- it is negative: plastic bottles by the ton, for one thing.

Want to help the children of other countries? Send cash to CARE, or UNICEF, or the International Red Cross. Then drink from a public water fountain. The H2O is perfectly fine.

Ethos water and the Prius -- birds of an artificial, media-induced feather.
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2006 at 12:26pm
Hi Darkprime. There was an article in the Washington Post about VDOT releasing a report last fall stating a percentage increase (double digits) of hybrids on the HOV lanes from when they were initially allowed onto HOV, but it did not give an actual number of hybrids. VDOT warned the VA legislature that if they didn't do something, the HOV lanes would become as congested as the regular lanes. Unfortunately, our state legislature decided to "study" it for another year, and extended the hybrid exemption.
Hooch View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2006 at 3:45pm
Does anyone besides me notice how often KnowSyouV calls everyone stupid, ignorant, etc., then tells them they can't read and to try reading his post over again? Seems to me that if the author continuously has to tell people over and over to read his/her work again, maybe the author is the idiot?

Hooch
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic