Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Take Three?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2007 at 3:14pm
There has been so much on this topic lately that, even though it's not a hybrid issue, makes me wonder:

Since there in NO advantage to the driver to take extra passengers, and the beneit is only to the slug, why isn't there a charge for the third (and more) passenger(s)?

Take 3? Sure - $5!
crewshell View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crewshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2007 at 7:57am
Your right, it is always up to the driver to say yes or no and I never try to qualify why someone makes the decision they do to turn down or accept a third rider.

NoSUV, I thought you were kicked off?
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2007 at 2:20pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]There has been so much on this topic lately that, even though it's not a hybrid issue, makes me wonder:

Since there in NO advantage to the driver to take extra passengers, and the beneit is only to the slug, why isn't there a charge for the third (and more) passenger(s)?

Take 3? Sure - $5!

It's amazing when slime like you occasionally try to infect the sluglines with selfishness and greed like charging for a ride, oh wait, that's right you drive a hybrid. Now it all makes perfect sense!

I've been driving lately (because its good slugline ethics: ride when you need to, drive when you can), and with the rain all week I won't leave someone on the curb in the rain when I have an empty seat! And why should anyone?

Why should anyone ride to work alone?
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2007 at 12:39pm
quote:
Originally posted by raymond
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]There has been so much on this topic lately that, even though it's not a hybrid issue, makes me wonder:

Take 3? Sure - $5!

It's amazing when slime like you occasionally try to infect the sluglines with selfishness and greed like charging for a ride, oh wait, that's right you drive a hybrid. Now it all makes perfect sense!

I've been driving lately (because its good slugline ethics: ride when you need to, drive when you can), and with the rain all week I won't leave someone on the curb in the rain when I have an empty seat! And why should anyone?

Why should anyone ride to work alone?

So, I'll ask it again since there has been no mature response:
Since there is NO advantage - only DISadvantage - to the driver to take 3, why shouldn't there be driver compensation? Or is it that slugs are too selfish?
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2007 at 4:19pm
quote:
Originally posted by elisabeth64
[br]Ok, I'll bite. As both a driver and a slug (about 50/50) I really don’t have a “side” here.

In your scenario you drive up to the slug line in a hybrid (am I right so far?). You then offer to take two people to a specified destination.

At what point do you explain that you are a taxi for hire? Do you wait until you are five minutes down the road, or do you tell them at the window when they walk up?

Also, are you declaring this on your tax return as additional income? Have you filed the necessary applications with the State to ensure you are in compliance with all statutes regulating taxis? Have you informed your insurance carrier that you are now using your vehicle to operate a business?

Finally, now that you have a contract with the slugs (money has changed hands), are you prepared for them to sue you if they are unsatisfied with your service?

Yes, you did bite; hook, line and ....

What you don't know is that NoSUV is a long time agitator in this forum. An agitator who does not participate in slugging. Which would make NoSUV a hypocritical agitator; or someone who argues with no true intention of acting as they say they do and as they say everyone else should. NoSUV only likes to argue. That's it! NoSUV cares not for the environment, nor the economy, nor fellow commuters, nor for anyone who does not agree with NoSUV.

Yes, Liz, your questions make sense, and they are reasonable for a reasonable person. But it does not matter, because you don't agree. And because you don't agree with NoSUV, you have taken sides. But it's OK, we're all with you, outside the nut house, looking in and scratching our heads!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2007 at 11:14am
So, both of you agree that drivers of conventional vehicles have NO REASON to take 3 - their are only disincentives. So, if a driver of a conventional vehicles says that they will take the 3rd for a "tip", then would slugs pass or pay? Or would it depend?
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2007 at 3:01pm
Please don't feed the troll. On this very day, he has posted probably 10 spams. Why would anyone engage him in online conversation while he does this?
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2007 at 3:50pm
quote:
Originally posted by Bob
[br]Please don't feed the troll. On this very day, he has posted probably 10 spams. Why would anyone engage him in online conversation while he does this?

Bob,

This is my 3rd post of the day - both questions in two placesw are legitimate (if there is no advantage to the driver, should there be a tip involved). If you'll recall, 122... used to make that same arguement.

Just because it threatens your way of thinking doesn't make it spam.
Galah View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2007 at 10:52am
The motivation for the conventional driver to take 3 is the same motivation you have for owning a hybrid NoSUV their love of the planet. No wait, that's right, if they really loved the planet they'd be taking public transportation, or driving a hybrid, like you, so they're motivation would seem to be to keep alive a viable feasible and affordable system which works very well for a large number of people without requiring that my government invest additional tax dollars regulating it.

Knowing a little bit about queueing theory and the self regulating nature of the slugging system, 'taking three' benefits slugs short term, the price is that it may cost slugs more long term, by turning away 'potential' additional drivers and a resultingly more robust system (more drivers, less chance for slugs being left behind, fewer drivers....). introducing monetary compensation, however, ('tips' as you call them), BEGS for government regulation, taxes, additional safety inspections, more police, all SORTS of things I'm not interested in paying for as long as the syatem is self regulating, apparrently safe and reasonably fair.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic