Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HOV Enforcement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2008 at 10:36am
RVDUSA and jomac006, both of you have basic flaws in your discussion.

RV - you have overlooked several economic issues, chiefly supply and demand. Back when the express lanes were for buses only (hybrids did not exist), 40% of the cars were taken off of the road. What would happen if all slugs "went back" to taking the bus? And the alterative, using a hybrid for the "hybrid only lanes," would mean that ALL miles used by that vehicle, not just those for the commute, would use less gas and pollute less.

jomac - it's too bad that you are ignorant on how a hybrid works, and that you are either using a gut feel or getting your information from sources that also have no idea. Unless you floor the accelerator the entire time, the battery provides assistance to the internal combustion engine. It's rarely if ever only one or the other -- that's why they call it a hybrid.
jomac006 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jomac006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 10:39am
NOSUV, I like how you brought up only a single flaw in my argument. Once you reach 65 sure the car may run off both engines but to get up to 65 you have to floor it and it takes a while for a Hybrid to get up to 65, so you are using a lot of gas just to do that. Second I like how you ignored the fact that the engine is a toxic also if you don't allow 3 people cars into the HOV lane how crowded the streets are going to be, and don't tell me that Hybrid drivers with carpool or pick up slugs. I saw 6 Priuses on the road this morning and all 6 had only the driver in them. No matter what you say 2 SUVs with 3 people in each is better for the environment then 6 Hybrids with only the driver in them. So take your Holier than Thou attitude somewhere else, because those of us slugging are reducing our carbon footprint a lot more than you and those who drive only themselves to work in their hybrids.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2008 at 6:21pm
quote:
Originally posted by jomac006

NOSUV, I like how you brought up only a single flaw in my argument. Once you reach 65 sure the car may run off both engines but to get up to 65 you have to floor it and it takes a while for a Hybrid to get up to 65, so you are using a lot of gas just to do that. Second I like how you ignored the fact that the engine is a toxic also if you don't allow 3 people cars into the HOV lane how crowded the streets are going to be, and don't tell me that Hybrid drivers with carpool or pick up slugs. I saw 6 Priuses on the road this morning and all 6 had only the driver in them. No matter what you say 2 SUVs with 3 people in each is better for the environment then 6 Hybrids with only the driver in them. So take your Holier than Thou attitude somewhere else, because those of us slugging are reducing our carbon footprint a lot more than you and those who drive only themselves to work in their hybrids.

You are still wrong. Check the pollution figures. SUVs need to be HOV-8 to make up for a SOV hybrid. As most informed people can tell you, the hybrid exemption is NOT for fuel eficiency. It's not a Holy than Thou attitude - it's merely the facts. You are NOT reducing your carbon footprint unless you are on a bus or in a hybrid.
CJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2008 at 10:52am
My main concern is not having to sit in traffic for 4 hours a day, which is what would happen if we went and all drove hybrids but didn't carpool. Since Al Gore says planting a tree elimates his use of a private jet carbon footprint, I figure if I plant a couple trees I'm good until I retire.

CJ
PickEmUpAndBringEmHome View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PickEmUpAndBringEmHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2008 at 11:40am
Yeah, but then the housing developers will just chop them down to make room for more townhouses which will add more commuters to the road which means more trees, more chopping, more commuter, etc ..

On a more serious note, while I do care about the environment and believe that we all have to do our part (turn off lights, turn down the HVAC and turn on the ceiling fan, etc), the one and ONLY reason I pick up slugs in my Northstar V8 Cadillac is purely to cut down on my time to and from the office. I pickemupandbringemhome when it is convienient for me and to cut down on my commute.

Selfish? Absolutely! ... and that is the one and only reason the system works as well as it does ...

The Green Party, Al Gore, NoSUV, the Sierra Club, and Earth First! can all kiss my tail pipe, but no matter the politics, if they are standing in line when I pull up and call out 2 for X, Y, or Z location ... they are welcome to hop in and enjoy the ride.

FKA Atlantis.99
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic