Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Happened to the Slug Rules?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 3:47pm
quote:

I was going to say "wow, great voca" right until you started putting nasty words in the mouths of people you don't know. Sounds to me now that you are making it into drama, because your postings get longer and longer...

Nah - I didn't put words into anybody's mouth at all. You might want to reread the post. I clearly stated that the monologue was an internal vision I considered to be outlandish. There is no drama in this for me whatsoever - only commedia.
LiliWhyte View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliWhyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 4:02pm
OK, quite enough said on this topic. Suffice it to say that there needs to be a lot more common sense and common courtesy practiced on both sides!!
gj View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 7:24pm
Wow msniac2, you really must be the unluckies person in the world to have experienced all of that. I've been slugging and driving for over 20 years. Horner to Crystal City. I've never seen a slug with food or coffee. I've never seen a slug ask to be dropped off somewhere other than the usual spots. The tinted window thing sucks, but you know darn well that 99% of slugs would never dream of putting down a window or touching anything in the drivers car. The cell phone offender thing usually only occurs once or twice a year. But I do have to agree with you on the roller bags. I want to smack everyone I see with those awful things (I know they are not going to the airport because I see them in line every day with the roller bag). Anyway, not to discount your bad luck msniac2, but if you've really had that many bad experiences, you really must have some bad luck getting the wrong slugs.

gj
CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2009 at 12:37am
gj

That was my take on this exactly. I mean, I read so many of these posts, and every time we see these long lists of gripes, it is always a "starting member" making these charges. I agree there is a chance it may be someone who has driven for many years and who finally feels the need to speak out. But you do have to wonder. If one has so many bad experiences one would consider whether the person would continue to drive.

I have never seen a slug do what so many drivers say slugs do, and I have been slugging six years now. I have seen brief cell phone use, to make sure a spouse of a kid is up for work or school. I have never seen a slug talk on a cell phone for even more than 5 minutes nevertheless the entire ride. I have never heard the bubble gum issue, not even once. I have never seen a slug put on makeup and I only saw one slug eat in a car and he was appropriately asked to stop by the driver. I have never seen a slug bring coffee into a vehicle although many drivers do so and sometimes the smell of the coffee is strong. However, the driver who does have the strong coffee is one of my favorite rides because he is very careful and gives me the option of where I want to be dropped off near the Metro.

On the luggage issue, I have seen it maybe once or twice. The slug usually asked the driver whether he wanted it in the back seat or the trunk. There are some slugs who use a roller even for small bags. Yet, these compress and the slugs put them on their laps for the ride. I don't like them either, you are going to work and not a vacation, but what exactly is the harm?

Mostly, what I see, each and every day, is drivers wanting to get to work, and slugs wanting to get to work, and no one really out of line. This morning, the driver was going up the busy road, and she had difficulty deciding whether she should be in the right lane or the left. She chose to stay in the middle, between both lanes. It was careless of her, and she laughed about it. No one was behind us (yes I looked as I was in the back seat) and she drove perfectly the rest of the way in. I am not going to call her out on the momentary lapse. She gave me a good ride in and I appreciate it.

If you want to nitpick about drivers or slugs you can find ample reasons. But in six years, I have only felt borderline unsafe in a vehicle once, and while there are things that I could complain about, I have never chosen to do so. No system is perfect but this is awefully good. This post reminded me of 122582 posts. The tip the driver guy or gal. It just doesn't represent most people's experiences.
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2009 at 8:18am
quote:
Originally posted by LiliWhyte

OK, quite enough said on this topic. Suffice it to say that there needs to be a lot more common sense and common courtesy practiced on both sides!!

Heh, heh...Well said. [:D]
kurty25 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurty25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 10:18am
I am new to slugging, as I just recently moved to the area. I prefer to drive, because I have a lot of stuff that I carry to and from work each day and I don't want to bother a driver with all of my stuff. Anyhow, I have a question about riders:

What's the etiquite on flatulence (farting for the cavemen)? It seems that I have a rider almost every 3 or 4 days that feels the need to "let one rip" in my car. [xx(] I usually get a sideways look from the Slug in the front seat, like they think it was me... I try to perform my flatulent duties when no one else is in the car with me... So, would it be rude of me to crack a joke about the smell? Just to lighten the mood, I mean.

Also, is it rude of me to converse with the Slugs? I read the "intro to Slugging" part, which said that it is the driver's option, but I get the feeling that these people do not particularly want to talk to me... I ride in my uniform, but not all Marines have the specific desire to eat your spleen at the drop of a hat.

A note to any Slugs that ride with me (white Plymouth Breeze with NC plates):
I'm actually a nice guy, don't be afraid to talk to me. I only kill the bad guys. [:D] Also, if your stomach can handle it, PLEASE hold the flatulence until after you exit my car.

Thank you,
Sgt D
"Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat."

Rear Admiral J. Stark, US Navy

go2grl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote go2grl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 10:44am
quote:
Originally posted by kurty25

I am new to slugging, as I just recently moved to the area. I prefer to drive, because I have a lot of stuff that I carry to and from work each day and I don't want to bother a driver with all of my stuff. Anyhow, I have a question about riders:

What's the etiquite on flatulence (farting for the cavemen)? It seems that I have a rider almost every 3 or 4 days that feels the need to "let one rip" in my car. [xx(] I usually get a sideways look from the Slug in the front seat, like they think it was me... I try to perform my flatulent duties when no one else is in the car with me... So, would it be rude of me to crack a joke about the smell? Just to lighten the mood, I mean.

Also, is it rude of me to converse with the Slugs? I read the "intro to Slugging" part, which said that it is the driver's option, but I get the feeling that these people do not particularly want to talk to me... I ride in my uniform, but not all Marines have the specific desire to eat your spleen at the drop of a hat.

A note to any Slugs that ride with me (white Plymouth Breeze with NC plates):
I'm actually a nice guy, don't be afraid to talk to me. I only kill the bad guys. [:D] Also, if your stomach can handle it, PLEASE hold the flatulence until after you exit my car.

Thank you,
Sgt D
"Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat."

Rear Admiral J. Stark, US Navy

Love it! [:)]
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 3:14pm
Ok.. this is what I have experienced as a slug and driver:

Heavy perfume
Heavy body odor
Longer than necessary phone conversations- by slugs AND drivers-

Dear drivers, driving and chatting on your phone while carrying the lives of 2-3 strangers- not cool, sorry...

Make up application
Texting- again, by both driver and slug, again, same letter to driver.
msniac2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msniac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 8:35am
For the record I have been a slug rider/ driver for about 10 years now so slugging is not new to me. I believe the reason I have experienced so many issues is that there are a lot of people new to slugging who have not taken the time to do the research on the process.

This week I have had 2 cell phone violators in my car. One was a lady, however she spoke so low that it really did not bother me at all and I had a gentleman on his phone last night for more than 5 minutes. The front seat passenger and I were having a conversation about my vehicle and the guy in the back was returning calls. Honestly his calls did not bother me until he started getting louder. But honestly in both cases it did not warrant me getting huffy or reminding them of the rules.

Call Me Mr Slug
“On the luggage issue, I have seen it maybe once or twice. The slug usually asked the driver whether he wanted it in the back seat or the trunk. There are some slugs who use a roller even for small bags. Yet, these compress and the slugs put them on their laps for the ride. I don't like them either, you are going to work and not a vacation, but what exactly is the harm?”

The harm is in my case that the roller bags get grit or something on the wheels that “DAMAGE BEYOND REPAIR” leather seats. However if a slug is willing to place the bag in their lap, I have no issue with them riding with me.

Honestly, now that I have the rules on the seats as people enter the vehicle I have had fewer issues. People actually get a kick out of the stories and many of them know some of the offenders. I think it’s all about communication. I value the system and enjoy some of the people that I have had the pleasure of meeting during my 10 year stint as a driver/rider. I just feel like if your behavior distracts me as a driver, damages my vehicle then I have the right to speak up.

As a driver I feel that there are certain rules I should follow also, like I do not play music that could be offensive, I do not text while driving, I do not drive aggressively, my calls are VERY LIMITED and avoided if at all possible, during the off chance that I have to take a call I am using a hands free device. I do not eat or apply makeup…though I have been tempted to apply Chap Stick in the winter, but I try to do that prior to anyone entering the vehicle. I understand slugging is a privilege. And as a responsible driver I understand that other people’s lives are in my hands while I am at the wheel.

Slugging is a win/win – for everyone I am just asking for a little common courtesy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic