Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taken Our Lots Back

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pentagonslug74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 11:16am
and your right, but in reality thats not how it works, and through voting you can change out officals but the end result remains the same, if you truly think we hold dominion then I would love to hear what you have to say if / when the government shuts down and people are told to stay home, who holds the hand then, we do pay for highways, lots, etc through taxes, but the commuters lots were not orginally designed for sluggers and according to VDOT and prince william county their stance on slugging is that they can niether confirm or deny its exsistance , a quote from wtop, to say we are owed this is way out there...if you dont like the way your taxes are being used then move...

quote:
Originally posted by mycroftt

Of course I am serious. I believe that the people hold dominion over the government - not the other way around. I do not believe that the government owns anything or has any power except that granted by the people. The government does not have rights - the people have rights. We elect representatives to run our gvernment and we replace them when we don't like the way they handle things.

What country are you from?

quote:
Originally posted by pentagonslug74

you can't be serious.
quote:
Originally posted by mycroftt

quote:
Originally posted by goodmphyll

I haven't read the entire thread, but I think we have to remember that no one owes us anything. We are very fortunate to have the opportunity to "ride free." After all, those lots handle the buses that we have to ride for fare. They could reduce all the lots, just to handle the bus travelers and then where'd we be? Sure, I want more parking. I'm tired of getter to Horner and having no place to park by about 6:45 AM. I am getting to work way earlier than I want, usually an hour earlier. I can't charge for that time, either. It's still better than the bus or driving and finding a place to park, though. Let me put on a thinking cap...we can still get those, right?

Phyllis Wendt

What are you thinking about? They sure as heck DO owe us something. We are the taxpayers. We paid to build the highways. We paid to build the commuter lots. We are not riding free - we are utilizing the facilities that we paid to build and we are paying more taxes on the gasoline we buy in order to use the facilities we built. We own these facilities, we own the government, and it damn well better do what we tell it to or we will remember that on election day. [;)]

mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 11:57am
quote:
Originally posted by pentagonslug74

and your right, but in reality thats not how it works, and through voting you can change out officals but the end result remains the same, if you truly think we hold dominion then I would love to hear what you have to say if / when the government shuts down and people are told to stay home, who holds the hand then, we do pay for highways, lots, etc through taxes, but the commuters lots were not orginally designed for sluggers and according to VDOT and prince william county their stance on slugging is that they can niether confirm or deny its exsistance , a quote from wtop, to say we are owed this is way out there...if you dont like the way your taxes are being used then move...

Hey - I never said anything about liking or disliking how my taxes are being used. I said that when I don't like what our government is doing I remember it at the ballot box. Please refrain from that if you don't like it then move stuff. If you don't like it then stay out of this thread! [:D] If you keep it up I'll take my ball and go home. [:p]

The commuter lots are intended for use by commuters. When the taxpayers pay for a facility that is intended for their use you bet your life they are owed the use of it. It is none of the government's business who we decide to ride with or how we come to that decision. Our taxes paid for the lot and we'll use it - we're not asking the state for anything we do not fully deserve. Sluggers are not beggars with hat in hand on bended knee at the foot of the government, hoping for a handout. Sluggers are citizens, taxpayers, and voters (at least I am and many others who participate in slugging) and the government answers to us just as it answers to the rest of the citizens, although I agree with your point that the reality is not so cut and dried as my rhetoric might describe.

The idea that the government owns everything and the people only get what the government grants them is known as statism. Statism is a popular view today both in the government and in society in general. I have no problem with that view or the people who hold it although I usually deride it as nanny-statism. From where I stand as long as there is still private property the power remains distributed and the government can never gain enough of it to subjugate the people. The current trend seems to be towards statism, certainly President Obama is a statist, but the pendulum always swings back - that's the beautiful thing about the power residing with the people.
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 2:29pm
quote:
Originally posted by VAwitch

Are you willing to give back the interest-credit you get on your taxes? Are you willing to put the equity you've earned on your home (under normal circumstances) - even if you've done nothing but basic upkeep - into a public-usage fund, say for roads & schools?

I didn't think so. So yes, you pay taxes -but you get other financial benefits out of it, in addition to the general security that as long as you're paying on your home (and didn't buy beyond your means) it can't be sold out from under you. I've been kicked out of an apartment, and prohibited from moving into most that would allow for saving for a home "for making too much".

As a lifelong north Virginian who acknowledges the limits of my tax-based contribution - that's why I'm willing to pay a fee.

I'd be paying taxes on the equity in the form of capital gains taxes anyhow...

But I'm not prepared to give back the equity any more than the government is going to compensate me for the loss in equity that I have currently.

I also don't get that much of an interest credit since I dumped a considerable amount of cash into paying it off before the ARM expired.

I stand by my assertion that I will not pay a parking fee in a public parking lot... Nor will I pay a toll on a public highway.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic