Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crowded HOV Lanes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dietzf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 2:13pm
We're getting off-topic a little here, seems to me. As we debate how to go about getting cited for reckless driving, the HOV lanes continue to be clogged every morning. This morning, when we got on at 6:50, it was backed up for several miles for no apparent reason.

At some point, we are going to need VDOT to do a study to find out why. My view is that there are three main causes: Hybrids are multiplying like rabbits, DC cops and detectives who live in VA use the HOV lanes by themselves in violation of the law (who's going to ticket them? Another police officer? I don't think so), and people who refuse to keep up and/or get over. The only one that we might be able to do something about is hybrids. People will not keep up or get over no matter what anybody says. If you read these threads, you will find argument after argument why they will not/should not, which just blows my mind.
Stuck2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 4:23pm
Basically, people are multiplying like rabbits around here. And when there's one hang up (someone doing the dreaded speed limit in the right OR left lane, or a bus, or a rubber necker, or poor out-of-towner who has no idea what's up), traffic backs up because everyone believes it's their inherent right to be the only ones on the road and that they are the only ones who have to get to work on time. Got to be calm on the road -- real hard when there's 6:00 / 6:30 day care deadlines, soccer games, lessons to get to. But are you better off hurt/killed because of an accident that could have been prevented?

The population in the south has skyrocketed but the roads and the rest of the mass transit system pretty much haven't changed. So, the more people that pour onto the road, trains, buses, the slower things will go. It's elementary. You don't have to like it and it might mean you have to leave earlier to get to work, but what are you really going to do about it? Call your Congressman and say "hey, let's do something." Well, he'll just say "we cut the budget!" Maybe move? But to where? It's like this where ever the "paying" jobs are found!
ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 10:10pm
SlugginFool,

You are RIGHT ON!!! I think that the big picture must be looked at. The Washington, DC metro area has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the COUNTRY. What was once standard population growth is multiplying because there ARE jobs here. As more military bases close, more military personnel are transferred to this area. Those temporary citizens end up retiring or getting out at contract limits because there ARE jobs here for them. Now they are permanent residents.

PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION. I cannot tell you how much I would LOVE to get up, sit on a train and arrive at work. I wouldn't mind making a transfer -- maybe two. But from Quantico to Reston, I have a few BAD options. Take the VRE to a metro to a bus. OVERALL TIME 2.25 hours each way, minimum. Drive to Springfield, take the blue to the orange to a bus ... overall time 2.5 hours minimum EACH WAY. I could move north ... oh wait, enlisted military housing allowance doesn't come CLOSE to paying a mortgage or rent anywhere north of Dumfries.

The answer is BETTER and MORE public transportation. I love going to NYC and zipping around on the subway. Boston also has a good train system. Shoot, even San Diego now has an express train that runs north and south from Oceanside to San Diego.

ScarletLSG
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 8:22am
LSG... What size place are you buying/renting? BAH has gotten a lot better in the last few years, and it's still going up. The current BAH for an E6 with deps is $1758, and that would nearly cover my mortgage on a 4 bdrm sfh on a .2 acre lot in Sterling. There are lots of townhouses in the Reston/Herndon/Sterling area that you could probably afford at that rate. The downside is you're so far from any military facility, but Costco, BJ's, and Sam's work pretty well between Commissary runs.

Now, of course, if you're a really junior EM, then you have my sympathies. This area truly sucks for the young folks. I've said that since my first assignment to the area in 1986.
ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 8:37am
Ronin,

The BAH rate you quote isn't for Quantico. Quantico's E-6 only receives $1200/month. The problem is that Quantico Marines tend to either live on base or live in Fredericksburg. The higher paid officers might live in Stafford or Woodbridge. When the surveys come around to determine the average rents/mortgages, the BAH is then determined with THOSE cities rents, etc. If we were stationed just 10 miles farther north, at say Ft. Belvoir, our BAH would almost double. Add too this the convenient commissary, cheaper gas, and DOD school system ... and you can see why we choose to live on base.

ScarletLSG

quote:
Originally posted by ronin718
[br]LSG... What size place are you buying/renting? BAH has gotten a lot better in the last few years, and it's still going up. The current BAH for an E6 with deps is $1758, and that would nearly cover my mortgage on a 4 bdrm sfh on a .2 acre lot in Sterling. There are lots of townhouses in the Reston/Herndon/Sterling area that you could probably afford at that rate. The downside is you're so far from any military facility, but Costco, BJ's, and Sam's work pretty well between Commissary runs.

Now, of course, if you're a really junior EM, then you have my sympathies. This area truly sucks for the young folks. I've said that since my first assignment to the area in 1986.

tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 4:27pm
quote:
Originally posted by Dhacim
[br]VABIGBLUE....

Let's face the facts here. I'm not sure what HOV/95 you have been driving on...but the speed of traffic out there dictates going at least 70....In fact I would say going less than 70 in most stretches puts you in danger. I had a driver pass me in the narrow shoulder on the left hand side of HOV while I was going 75-80. I think that although the speed limit is 65, traffic dictates that you proceed at a faster pace. Question: Why is it that the only cars I see pulled over on HOV are single passenger violaters.....There isn't much speed enforcement going on out there during rush hour...

This isn't entirely true. I was in a car about 2 months ago and the driver got a ticket for going 80, and there were 3 of us in the car.
gj View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2004 at 7:23pm
quote:
Originally posted by dietzf
[br]It seems ridiculous to have to ask this, but why, why, WHY can't left lane hogs just get the &%$# over if they are going below the prevailing speed? Why is that so hard? It really isn't a question of whether people should be speeding or not. That is for the police to decide. It really is a question of common courtesy.

Even if I'm going 80 in the left lane on HOV or any other road, I get over if someone comes up behind me. It is not for me to say whether they should be going that fast or not. For all I know, their kid was just in an accident and is clinging to life in some hospital. Probably not, but what if? Just because you feel you have the law on your side, you feel you can just hold everyone up? Well, in Virginia, the speeders have the law on their side, too! That's right - the law is: keep right except to pass. As Dave Barry would say, you could look it up.

Just a little common courtesy would go a long way toward helping us all get where we're going safely. Poking along in the left lane causes a lot of lane shifting behind you, increasing the chance of accidents. If you just got over to the right hand lane and let people go by, you would be safer and so would they (and happier, too).

Please?

AMEN dietzf. I couldn't have said it better

gj
SlugginFool View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugginFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2004 at 6:06pm
Glad that my words have drawn such a response! I heard some great things in this thread. Hybrids are a huge cause of the problem, and those inconspicuous slowdowns always get me riled up. By the way, I got a speeding ticket! Reckless driving, 81 in a 65. So for all you who think I am reckless, I guess you have the facts now! See you in court.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic