Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horner Road Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VAwitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 12:38pm
quote:
Originally posted by Pele

As for your original answer on Horner - you over-reached and gave bad advice / commentary ... A drop-off at Horner #2 is NOT considered "Curbside Service", but rather fits within the original courtesy framework.

Then I violate the rule on dropping off short of the destination, because I travel down the Prince William County parkway or continue forther south on I-95 when I leave the lot. I enter the lot, drop off at the first shelter only, then turn left and exit the lot... Many others I know do this as well.

Then I hope that I never ride with you. To have to park in "lot 3" which is the last one on the Telegraph-Road side, and have to walk all the way from the first bus shelters to there, in the current (hot & humid) weather = onset of medical problems for me, as well as being late to pick up my son from daycare.

I have *always*, since the additional section was built - heard riders asked "lot 1 or 2?" And I have been slugging since 1994. "Lot 3" is a courtesy - basically, if a major bus stop is there, that is a slug drop-off as well.

And many drivers, including myself, continue onto I-95 or onto PWPkwy - we just do a U-turn at one of the 3 openings near the 2nd depot.
HMumford View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HMumford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 10:58am
quote:
Originally posted by VAwitch

quote:
Originally posted by Pele

As for your original answer on Horner - you over-reached and gave bad advice / commentary ... A drop-off at Horner #2 is NOT considered "Curbside Service", but rather fits within the original courtesy framework.

Then I violate the rule on dropping off short of the destination, because I travel down the Prince William County parkway or continue forther south on I-95 when I leave the lot. I enter the lot, drop off at the first shelter only, then turn left and exit the lot... Many others I know do this as well.

Then I hope that I never ride with you. To have to park in "lot 3" which is the last one on the Telegraph-Road side, and have to walk all the way from the first bus shelters to there, in the current (hot & humid) weather = onset of medical problems for me, as well as being late to pick up my son from daycare.

I have *always*, since the additional section was built - heard riders asked "lot 1 or 2?" And I have been slugging since 1994. "Lot 3" is a courtesy - basically, if a major bus stop is there, that is a slug drop-off as well.

And many drivers, including myself, continue onto I-95 or onto PWPkwy - we just do a U-turn at one of the 3 openings near the 2nd depot.

Agreed. I've been slugging to and from Horner for a couple of years now. Only once has someone just dropped me off at the first stop without mentioning anything beforehand. It was hot as heck outside and I was parked in the third lot. It was awful to walk all that way with my heavy bags in the searing heat and humidity. If I had known the driver intended to do that, I would have allowed someone to go ahead of me.

There may be no hard and fast rules, but it is considerate. If you're that pressed to make the turn at the first lot to exit onto the Parkway or get back on I-95, at least have the courtesy to advise people before they make the decision to get in your car.
slug123456789 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slug123456789 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 11:40am
I am always a rider - never a driver. I just have to give my 2 cents on this. It is up to the rider to ask the driver about drop off destinations if they are out of the norm. As for those who say they have a medical problem, that it totally on you to ask the driver before you get in where they are willing to let you out. As was mentioned before, a lot of drivers don't mind and just make a u-turn, but other drivers just want to get home (or wherever) as soon as they can. I have rarely been asked first or second lot. Since I am a CC slug, I think the drivers all assume (correctly) I am in the first lot. I am young, and don't mind walking (regardless of weather), so I am not going to worry about it. Now, if I had a medical condition and I needed to be let out at a certain spot, you can bet you a$$ that I would ask the driver first so there is no confusion.

Communication is key here people - I have yet to meet a mind reader. If you don't want to walk then drive your own car. The driver is not required to give curb side service. As far as I am concerned, as long as I am in the right general area, I'm good because my legs are not broken and I got a free ride. Just think of all the exercise you would be getting.
HMumford View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HMumford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 12:55pm
quote:
Originally posted by slug123456789

I am always a rider - never a driver. I just have to give my 2 cents on this. It is up to the rider to ask the driver about drop off destinations if they are out of the norm. As for those who say they have a medical problem, that it totally on you to ask the driver before you get in where they are willing to let you out. As was mentioned before, a lot of drivers don't mind and just make a u-turn, but other drivers just want to get home (or wherever) as soon as they can. I have rarely been asked first or second lot. Since I am a CC slug, I think the drivers all assume (correctly) I am in the first lot. I am young, and don't mind walking (regardless of weather), so I am not going to worry about it. Now, if I had a medical condition and I needed to be let out at a certain spot, you can bet you a$$ that I would ask the driver first so there is no confusion.

Communication is key here people - I have yet to meet a mind reader. If you don't want to walk then drive your own car. The driver is not required to give curb side service. As far as I am concerned, as long as I am in the right general area, I'm good because my legs are not broken and I got a free ride. Just think of all the exercise you would be getting.

I do agree. However, in my experience and with regard to my post and my commute, the "norm" WAS dropping off at the second lot.
shorty5646 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorty5646 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 12:57pm
I am also always a rider - almost never a driver - but from the comments posted, I am thinking that the time and location may have some impact on how likely the drivers are to ask about the first or second lot.

Seems like perhaps the CC/Rosslyn slugs may not be as likely to request or need to go to the second or third lots, and same probably goes for slugs who arrive to the lot earlier in the morning and leave earlier in the afternoon. The earlier you park at Horner, the more likely you are to get a space closer to the lines - so if you're leaving work at 3 or 4pm, chances are you're closer to the first lot. For those who slug in and back later, we most likely arrived to the lot later and had to park further away.

As a L'Enfant slug that leaves work after 5pm, I find that drivers almost ALWAYS ask if you want the first or second lot - and slugs are almost ALWAYS in the second or third lots. Actually, many drivers have even offered to go to the last area where you can make a U-Turn before Telegraph, if you're parked in the third lot. While I am also young and in good health, I appreciate drivers who do this, especially considering the heat and humidity. I'd much rather be dropped off a little closer in the air-conditioned car than have to walk from the first lot! And in my opinion, it really isn't THAT much of an inconvenience for the driver to go to the second lot... just my two cents!
slug123456789 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slug123456789 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 1:54pm
No arguments about the above posts. I do want to add that I used to slug to the Navy Yard and parked in the 2nd lot and the drivers ALWAYS asked 1st or 2nd. I really do think the driver asks based on where they pick up the slugs from, which I believe was already mentioned in an earlier post. I too would prefer to be dropped off in the 2nd or 3rd lot if I ever needed it but I will never compain because as I mentioned before, I was at least able to get a ride.

Just an a off topic side note, sometimes I am in a ride home (or to work for that matter) and the car smells of smoke, or something really bad and thick (perfume, etc), that I am almost tempted to just jump out at the first opportunity no matter where that is!! [:D]
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 1:19am
quote:
Originally posted by shorty5646

I am also always a rider - almost never a driver - but from the comments posted, I am thinking that the time and location may have some impact on how likely the drivers are to ask about the first or second lot.

Seems like perhaps the CC/Rosslyn slugs may not be as likely to request or need to go to the second or third lots, and same probably goes for slugs who arrive to the lot earlier in the morning and leave earlier in the afternoon. The earlier you park at Horner, the more likely you are to get a space closer to the lines - so if you're leaving work at 3 or 4pm, chances are you're closer to the first lot.

BINGO!

I usually get to Horner when there's a handful of cars there.
I'm usually picking up slugs at 3:00, well before I need them.

Nobody has ever asked to go to the second lot. I didn't even know there was a third.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
anniekay06 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anniekay06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 2:57pm
I think it would be nice if people would simply consider the weather when dropping off at Horner Road. If I was a constant driver I would always suggest dropping off at the 2nd Bus Stop (because I think it's the right thing to do, personally). But MOST importantly when there is extreme weather. I think having slugs, i.e. PEOPLE walk in the sideways-pouring-intense rain is just sad..... I couldn't just drop someone off, leave 'em to walk a mile, in a crazy thunderstorm because "I turn left here." However, I'm also a nice person who believes in a little saying - what goes around comes back around.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic