Print Page | Close Window

Google Map of Slug Lines

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4483
Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 2:55am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Google Map of Slug Lines
Posted By: Admin
Subject: Google Map of Slug Lines
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 7:16pm
To All:
I am in the process of adding all the slug lines to a Google map. I think this could be valuable because it can be viewed not only as a map but in a satellite view. Plus it can give you driving directions, taffic, etc. Here is the map:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&t=h&msid=114914938145396867730.00047e140c1ca7b0f0259&ll=38.707482,-77.227364&spn=0.183787,0.235863&z=12

Comments?

Replies:
Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 7:06am
Admin,
This is a great tool for slugs and drivers!
Some feedback:
On the Rolling Valley Mall slug line location (after one goes to the satellite photo view and zooms in on the photo) - the slug line is actually in the commuter lot (not in the shopping center lot as shown). The commuter lot is a bit further east and south of where the blue Google Maps marker is. The lot is almost a trapazoid in shape, almost empty in the photo, and there is a tree line between it and the shopping center parking lot. Suggest you move the blue marker from the shopping center lot into the actual commuter lot that's a bit to the right and down on the map photo view.

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 7:24am
Admin,
One more set of comments on the "blue marker" Google Maps locations in the West Springfield/Burke area.

a. The locations for the Sydenstricker and Gambrill Rd commuter lots are 100% correct.

b. The blue marker for the Huntsman/Sydenstricker intersection slug line is about a 1/4 mile too far south and east of the actual intersection. The blue marker should be moved to the left and up on the map along Sydenstricker Rd to the northeast corner of the Sydenstricker intersection with Huntsman Blvd (there's a Metro bus stop there). A bit of history: This location was a very active slug line until the Sydenstricker Commuter Lot was built. I understand it gets little use now -- but when I've driven by there in the afternoons during rush hour, I do see several cars that appear to belong to commuters parked south of the intersection along Huntsman Blvd. Not sure if the owners of those cars are actually sluggin' back to this intersection or taking the Metro bus back to the bus stop. In any case, this is an historic slug line location that has been there since the inception of sluggin'.

Posted By: jerryclapham
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 8:28am
The blue markers for the Potomac mills locations are off a little also. the Pentagon line forms on the other side of the commuter lot. The marker on the map now is for DC (18th street, 14th street,etc.) then about 2 parking lanes to the left is a line for Crystal City & Rosslyn.

This is a great idea.

Jerry

Posted By: Jody
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 9:20am
Admin - The commuter lot for Springfield (Bob's), the blue marker should be moved to the left side of the map in the Springfield Plaza parking lot. Thanks.

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 4:00pm
Thanks for the input on the map. Here are the changes I have made:

Jody - marker moved into the Springfield Plaza. I drew a line around what I thought was the commuter lot. Did I get it right?

Jerry - I added two blue markers for the other two slug lines. Did I get it right?

sluDgE - Moved the Huntsman/Sydenstricker blue marker to the correct location.

sluDgE - Moved the Rolling Valley blue marker to the commuter lot. But, is there just one slug line there? I was thinking there were others.

The blue marker index on the left side of the page will be put in some kind of order later. The basic format for the markers are:
Slug Line (Location)
Destinations

Again, thank for the input.

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 4:44pm
Admin,

There is only one slug line at the Rolling Valley Mall commuter lot for all locations that the line supports. The line is on the traffic island (on the back side of the bus shelters). That's the side of the shelters nearest to Old Keene Mill Rd.

Thanks for allowing slugs and drivers to offer suggestions and corrections.

One more item: While the parking for "Bob's" is in designated spaces within the Springfield Plaza parking lot, the two morning "Bob's" slug lines are actually located across Old Keene Mill Rd in the old Circuit City parking lot. That's the lot with two lanes perpendicular to Old Keene Mill Rd. One slug line is in each of the lanes. I think the current map of the two lines at the "Morning Slug Lines" tab is still correct. If not, someone who uses the slug lines there regularly needs to chime in.

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 9:10pm
Got it! Thanks. I moved the blue marker slightly for Rolling Valley and also corrected Bob's location as well.

I appreciate the help!

Posted By: Jody
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 9:39am
Admin -- Thanks for marking the Springfield Plaza parking lot as the drop off point in the evening. As Sludge pointed out, the two blue markers in the Circuit City lot are the pick up points for the morning commute.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 9:58am
Almost there on the Potomac Mills spots. The 18th/14th Street line is where you have the Pentagon Line. the Pentagon Line should be moved to the right to the otherside of the lot where all of the cars are parked.

Jerry

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 12:54pm
Jerry - take a look now and let me know if I got it right this time.

Jody - so does this look correct now?

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 8:01am
Almost. Move the Pentagon line six lanes to the right.

This project is looking really good and will be a big help to people new to slugging. great Job.

Jerry

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 4:30pm
Jerry, thanks. I think I got it this time.

Posted By: GreenSlug
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 6:42pm
Great job - thanks Admin.

For Mine Road (Stafford) - the blue pin on the right: remove Rosslyn, add 18th St

For Route 610 Lot (Stafford) - remove Navy Yard; also, move blue pin slightly down and to the left (southwest), putting the pin on the west side of the bus shelter

For L'Enfant Plaza - move the pins from SW corner of 9th and D to the NE corner of that intersection; I'm not sure of the order or if there are 4 lines, but the pins should be moved

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 1:57pm
GreenSlug, thank for the input! All changes made. I will try to get more information on the L'Enfant lines to make sure I got that right.

Posted By: Elemental
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 3:07pm
Wow, this is very cool, thanks for putting this together!

Two notes:
1. For the 19th & I marker, please remove "610 - Stafford, Mine Road - Stafford" from the description.
2. Please move the 14th & G marker to the south side of the intersection - same side of 14th St, just to the other side of G.

Thanks!

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 9:28am
L'Enfant pins need to be moved to the north side of D St, between 9th and 7th, in front of GSA building - it has a Google marker "US National Capital Region" on it.

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 1:07pm
Elemental,
Thanks for the input. Changes made!

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 1:09pm
GreenSlug - how about now? Did I get it right?

Posted By: smithma
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 5:21pm
Admin;

The Springfield line at the Pentagon in the evening is primarily to Rolling Valley or Sydenstricker.

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 6:38pm
Admin - re: L'Enfant...no, the pins still need moving. Right now you have them on the SW corner of 9th & D; the pins need to move to the NE corner of that intersection. Zoom in far enough and you should see a marker on the building "US National Capital Region." Once the pins are there, we'll need a L'Enfant rider to properly position the pins left to right.

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 12:57pm
GreenSlug - looking at the intersection, I moved the pins to the NE corner. I cannot see the "US National Capital Region". So, how close am I?

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 12:58pm
Smithma - changes made! Thanks!

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 5:37pm
re: L'Enfant - the pins are on the right sidewalk - spreading them out will be a bit tougher; I think I know 2 of them, so we'll start there.

Using the parked cars as markers, move the Route 610 blue pin along the sidewalk to between the 3rd and 4th cars (3rd car has a bright sun glare)

Move the Horner Road blue pin along the sidewalk to between the 7th and 8th cars.

http://www.slug-lines.com/PM_lines/Lenfant_Plaza.asp used to list 4 PM lines and now it's only 3; I'm assuming the 3rd one (besides Stafford and Horner Rd) is Springfield (based on the PM line info). I don't know where that line forms, but I believe it's further east along D St, past the Horner Rd line.

Posted By: Cliff
Date Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 11:38am
the lorton slug line location needs to be moved from the amtrack autotrain loacation by going north east about 1/2 mile

Posted By: SuTaRiCh
Date Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 3:11pm
This is great! A couple of comments.

1. I have been told repeatedly that there is not really a pick up at L'Enfant Plaza in the evening to go back to Rte 17. So unless someone contradicts me, maybe it is time to remove it entirely as a destination?

2. The Rte 17 blue marker is slightly off - it should be obvious to anyone in the lot where they need to be (assuming there IS a line), but if it is easy to fix you should move it to be just below the bus shelter -down and right (SE if North is up, which I don't think it is) of current location. Cars drive down the lane to the SE of the shelter and pick up "in front of" (which is actually behind) the shelter.

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 4:32pm
Thanks to all. Changes made to the map as of 12 Feb 2010.

Keep the feedback coming!

Posted By: WestSpring
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 4:06pm
Admin- For the Springfield (Bob's) blue pin, the western pin should be L'Enfant and 14th street (currently 14th street is listed as a destination for the eastern pin).

Posted By: duckduffer
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 10:14am
Great Job!!! Thanks!

Posted By: Cliff
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 2:06pm
The slug line at the Lorton VRE also goes to L'Enfant

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 4:39pm
Thanks Cliff! Corrections made!

Posted By: nadine48
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 12:24pm
Hi,

First off, thanks for doing this. I find it very useful.
Second, the blue point for the 19th and F Sts. should be on the other side of the road . It's on the same side of the street that the 7-Eleven is and closer to F St.

Thanks!

Posted By: Bill905
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 11:27am
The line in Rosslyn going to Springfield/Burke is currently placed on North Lynn Street. It should be moved one block to the East on North Kent Street. Place it at the Northwest corner of the building marked Rosetta Stone.

Thanks for putting this together!

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 9:59am
Nadine and Bill,
19th & F - did I get this right? I could not see the 7-11

Rossyln - again, did I get this right?

Date Posted: 27 May 2010 at 12:29pm
Rosslyn needs to move a little further up Kent Street. You have the marker at the southwest corner of the building, the line forms at the northwest corner. There's a light pole that you can see in the photo, the head of the line begins at that pole and extends to the south along Kent Street.

Date Posted: 28 May 2010 at 11:15am
Bill905,
Thanks. I moved the marker to the light pole. Is this correct?

Date Posted: 28 May 2010 at 11:44am
you got it. thanks!

Date Posted: 28 May 2010 at 2:31pm
Thanks for taking the time to send me the correction. It's the only way to keep the website up-to-date!

Posted By: RockysMom
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 12:12pm
This is awesome!
One small tweak to Horner Road - can you swap the pin labels for L'Enfant and New York with the label for 14th Street and 18th Street? Locations are right.

RockysMom

Posted By: sluger2010
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 8:45pm
Hello

One thing I noticed.

Could you Add route 234 (Dumfries) to the Roslyn stop. Route 234 drops off to Roslyn and there should be a pickup line as well.

Thanks

You've done a great job with this. =)

SLUGer2010

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 9:39am
Changes made to Horner and to Rosslyn. Thanks for the comments!!

Posted By: keelhauld
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 11:41pm
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

To All:
I am in the process of adding all the slug lines to a Google map. I think this could be valuable because it can be viewed not only as a map but in a satellite view. Plus it can give you driving directions, taffic, etc. Here is the map:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&t=h&msid=114914938145396867730.00047e140c1ca7b0f0259&ll=38.707482,-77.227364&spn=0.183787,0.235863&z=12

Comments?

I realize the 234 lot is not nearly the size of Horner but I created a map showing where the different lines form for 234 and the easiest traffic flow. For those who don’t know stopping in the main entry drive to let people out of your car in the morning is a really bad idea; it really gums up the works. Anyway I thought that you might be able to incorporate the line locations into your map. I mostly drew the traffic flow lines because I was playing with Google Maps. Definitely a cool tool! Thanks for your work on the map.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=h&msa=0&ll=38.576863,-77.315627&spn=0.001497,0.003323&z=19&msid=105521820875624977161.000493906ca6eec426861 - http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=h&msa=0&ll=38.576863,-77.315627&spn=0.001497,0.003323&z=19&msid=105521820875624977161.000493906ca6eec426861

Posted By: jfjbristow
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 3:25pm
I recently tried to pick up at the Roslyn line for 234 and was told on all 3 occasions that there is no 234 slug line there. I saw the map on here, and there is Dumfries 234 on the sign at Roslyn, but all those in the line insisted that there were no 234 slugs at that location. Has this changed since your post in September?

quote:
Originally posted by sluger2010

Hello

One thing I noticed.

Could you Add route 234 (Dumfries) to the Roslyn stop. Route 234 drops off to Roslyn and there should be a pickup line as well.

Thanks

You've done a great job with this. =)

SLUGer2010

JJ

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 5:19am
Long,
Excellent work on your new 234 Google map! That really helps me understand the changes at 234 and I am sure will help others too.

I will include the changes to my Google Map but will put a link to your may too.

Thanks again for the help!

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 5:23am
JJ,
Sorry for the confusion. There was an attempt to get a new Rt. 234 destination started from Rossyln. Apparently, it has not taken hold.

I will update the website and clearly state that this is an emerging line that has not fully developed yet.

Thanks for the feedback and sorry for the inconvenience.

Posted By: woowade
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 1:54pm
Hey Admin,
Thanks for the map. The repavement of Bob's has been completed. Also, you have Rolling Valley listed twice for 14th and Constitution.

Posted By: ukiltmybrutha
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 8:26am
Same experience as "SuTaRiCh" on the 17 Slug line home. I am told repeatedly that there is no slug line from L'enfant to 17.

Posted By: CurlyHairedGirl
Date Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 1:14pm
Can you please change the slug line location for Lorton VRE to read 38.7149, -77.2138.

Thanks.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net