Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taken Our Lots Back

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lbeck63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taken Our Lots Back
    Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 12:54pm
We need to take our LOTS back from the NON-Prince William residents using the Lots. Its come to my understanding that Rooute 234 and Dumfries other lots are mainly filling up with residents from Stafford, Fredricksburg and Organge Counties folks. Info from PRTC Bus Drivers. They can get there before PW residents because they leaving earlier to get up here, which means at 6:00am in the morning our lots are already full. Hello All Wake UP. I would like to suggest we put pressure of the PW officials to make it to where only PW Residnets can park in our commouter lots. Perhaps we can purchase a sticker that indicates "Slug-Parking Only" once a year. The county would generate additional income. Anyone on aboard with me on this.
fed up View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 4:25pm
These lots are owned by the State not the County, so the County cannot enforce parking for county residents only.
soldierguardian View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soldierguardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 7:40am
I don't believe that it would be enforcible or practical. A more practical idea is for the state legislature to pass a law exempting active duty military personnel from the HOV restriction, while in uniform (similar law is on the books for the VA Beach area HOV lanes). That would free up some parking spaces at the commuter lots.

quote:
Originally posted by lbeck63

We need to take our LOTS back from the NON-Prince William residents using the Lots. Its come to my understanding that Rooute 234 and Dumfries other lots are mainly filling up with residents from Stafford, Fredricksburg and Organge Counties folks. Info from PRTC Bus Drivers. They can get there before PW residents because they leaving earlier to get up here, which means at 6:00am in the morning our lots are already full. Hello All Wake UP. I would like to suggest we put pressure of the PW officials to make it to where only PW Residnets can park in our commouter lots. Perhaps we can purchase a sticker that indicates "Slug-Parking Only" once a year. The county would generate additional income. Anyone on aboard with me on this.

mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 8:09am
quote:
Originally posted by soldierguardian

I don't believe that it would be enforcible or practical. A more practical idea is for the state legislature to pass a law exempting active duty military personnel from the HOV restriction, while in uniform (similar law is on the books for the VA Beach area HOV lanes). That would free up some parking spaces at the commuter lots.

Reducing the number of cars in the commuter lots by putting more single-occupant vehicles on the HOV is most likely not a good idea. Based on the number of military people who participate in slugging it would probably create a lot of parking spaces in the commuter lots but all those cars would have to be parked somewhere at the end of the commute so I think it just pushes the problem further downstream. I'd like to see people try to get away with parking in travel lanes, medians, traffic islands, emergency vehicle lanes, etc. at the Pentagon! [:D]
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soldierguardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 10:33am
Canx the HOV exemption for hybrids, replace with exemption for active duty servicemembers...law enforcement officials (such as Metro PD, Park Police, FF County Police, Fed Prot Srvc etc...) are exempt if they are traveling to work.

quote:
Originally posted by mycroftt

quote:
Originally posted by soldierguardian

Reducing the number of cars in the commuter lots by putting more single-occupant vehicles on the HOV is most likely not a good idea. Based on the number of military people who participate in slugging it would probably create a lot of parking spaces in the commuter lots but all those cars would have to be parked somewhere at the end of the commute so I think it just pushes the problem further downstream. I'd like to see people try to get away with parking in travel lanes, medians, traffic islands, emergency vehicle lanes, etc. at the Pentagon! [:D]

bnvus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnvus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 10:41am
I really doubt that many Stafford Fredricksburg commuters drive up there to park in the morning. The afternoon traffic jams up at Dumfries so why would we want to slug to Prince William in the morning just to get back into traffic in the afternoon when we can go all the way down to Quantico relatively traffic free in HOV? Besides our lots don't fill up until around the 0730 timeframe. Just saying.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soldierguardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 10:43am
I know several people who drive up from Stafford and park at Horner; don't know about 234. I doubt that Stafford/Fredericksburg residents are having a big impact on parking availability though.

quote:
Originally posted by bnvus

Besides, I really doubt that many Stafford Fredricksburg commuters drive up there to park. The traffic jams up at Dumfries so why would we want to slug to Prince William just to get back into traffic when we can go all the way down to Quantico relativel traffic free in HOV? Besides our lots don't fill up until around the 0730 timeframe.

bnvus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnvus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 10:44am
Minority and not the majority.
mpatoka View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpatoka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 2:09pm
I was going to start a similar thread asking how someone knows that non-PW county residents are filling up the PW lots after seeing the same accusations in the PMills closure threads. I know there are a few people from Stafford and Fburg that drive up but it makes no logistical sense for the evening commute unless you work really late and have to catch a backup option busride after 7pm.

I live in Stafford and park and slug out of 610 but in the evening usually slug to Horner and then ride home with my wife, who works in Woodbridge, in the main lanes. That ride sucks and easily adds 20 minutes or more than if I slugged straight to 610 due to the short time of just being in the main lane backup before the merge. There is no way people are driving to PW to park when those lots fill up before 7am and the 610 lot usually doesn't fill up until 7:30. And yes, I do drive to and parked at Horner several times per year because I have activities or meetings in Woodbridge in the evening so it is convenient for that reason only.

Everyone complains about the hybrid and law enforcement exemption and is opposed to HOT lanes because it will increase the number of SOVs. Exempting uniformed military will have the exact same effect. Also, where are all these new drivers going to park? The Pentagon now rations and controls the number of parking passes so most new drivers will not be able to park there unless they want to pay $16/day to park at Macy's. I'm sure parking in DC is no different. Not going to happen where it makes a significant difference in the parking spaces.

Unfortunately all the lots are just too small to handle everyone. Telling someone they can't park in state-owned PW county lots is the same as me saying all the FBurg people need to stay out of 610 because they are filling it up.
Evergreen View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evergreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 8:46pm
This topic came up at last week's town hall meeting by a number of well outspoken citizens who spoke out. The PW and VDOT reps had little to say in return and said they could not regulate the problem. I disagree that nothing can be done. Personally, I am under the impression PW isn't doing much, as they even disputed that the PRTC commuter bus ridership and commuter lots are 80% used by PW residents, which I don't buy. This problem has been going on a long time - predominantly at Horner. The Rosslyn evening slug line was a classic example: how many times for how many years did I witness drivers refusing to pick up Potomac Mills slugs because they insisted on dropping off slugs no point beyond Horner - they all had the excuse that they had to get back on 95 to drive farther south; dropping off slugs at Potomac was too out of the way in the evening for them. Pressure needs to be put on our PW Board of Supervisors (by calling or writing) to communicate with the Boards of Stafford, Spotsylvania, etc. and VDOT. Seems like those jurisdictions could care less and no wonder - they're also the ones in favor of the HOT lanes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic